“Overpriced mediocrity, dont bother” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Overpriced mediocrity, dont bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Checkin – Was relatively smooth. Painful part was that they insist of making photo copies of the passports of all guests. Seems overkill.

Rooms – Well appointed rooms, clean and practical. Very modern and contemporary looking furniture. The bathroom had both a shower and a bathtub. Bit overkill but not complaining. The water in the sink seemed to have great trouble in draining. Nice range of bath accessories as well. They provide a couple of bottles of mineral water to drink on the house.

Housekeeping – Left a lot to be desired. I called at 10pm to request extra packets of coffee, creamer and sugar. No one answered on the Housekeeping line. I called Reception and communicated my request. 20 minutes went by and nothing happened. Called Reception again and reminded. Another 10 minutes went by and received a call from Reception saying that someone would be delivering it in 10 minutes. By 10:45 someone came with the coffee. I had him put it on the shelf and he disappeared. 20 minutes later I get up to make myself some coffee and noticed that there was no Creamer!!! They guy had brought Coffee and Sugar but no creamer. By then I just gave up and went to bed.

Internet (WiFi) – They have free WiFi access throughout the hotel. This for the most part worked quite well. UserID and password are given out by Reception.

Business Center – A word of caution. This is a place of daylight robbers. My wife had to get a map photocopied. It was 1 page. They charged us $2.00 (USD) for it! There is making a profit, greed and then daylight robbery. I think this qualifies as daylight robbery.

Concierge service – Hugely disappointing. They don’t have any decent maps of Nairobi. When we requested one, they appeared surprised that people would want a map and got a photocopied one. I asked the gentleman, to point out where our hotel was on the map and it took him a good 2 minutes to locate it! Seemed like this was the first time someone had made such a request of him!!! For a hotel that considers itself 5 star, not having a basic color map seems pathetic.

Help with Baggage – During checkout, I called Reception about 15 minutes before I would have liked to leave to request that someone from Concierge show up with a cart to pick up our baggage. 20 minutes went by and there was no response. I finally walked down to Concierge and had to send the person up to the room to pick up the luggage. We had placed a cardboard carton with some ornamental glass work (labeled and taped as FRAGILE all over) on this cart. This brain surgeon from Concierge goes up to get our luggage and returns with some luggage piled on top of the box labeled FRAGILE. Highly unimpressed.

Fitness Center – Very well appointed Fitness center with multiple treadmills, cycles, elliptical trainers and Nautilus equipment. Quite nice indeed.

Restaurant-Had the Breakfast buffet. We arrived at the restaurant at about 9:30am. Most items were either nearly empty or gone by then. They did not seem to be too keen to keep them refilled. Average at best for the restaurant.

Overall – For a new property that claims to be 5 star, it fell well short of expectations. Not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that you experienced during your recent stay with us. Please note I have personally addressed all the issues raised with the relevant Managers and I wish to assure you such an incident will not reoccur in the future. Crowne Plaza Nairobi is fully committed to strive excellent service and your comments are extremely useful and encouraging. There is no doubt that with this feedback Crowne Plaza Nairobi can only benefit and be able to improve our committment to hospitality in Kenya.
We look forward to welcoming you back and please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order for us to make your stay memorable. My contact details are juan.uribe@cpnairobi.com.

Regards
Juan Uribe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

The bathroom was not clean, the shower glass was full of soap scum and the floor not washed. The rooms are beautiful and the restaurant ok.
The hotel so is expensive, I wished I had gone with the B&B I saw online. They charged for everything and alot of extra fees on the bill including a training fee??!!
I would not stay here if you are concerned about money... we did feel safe here though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Crowneplazanairobi, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
We truly appreciate your positive feedback which enable us to always strive for higher quality and improve on our service and standards, as Crowne Plaza Nairobi is fully committed to ensure guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will be honored to welcome you back and make your next stay memorable. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at juan.uribe@cpnairobi.com.

Regards

Juan Uribe

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!