“Characterless and disappointing for a new hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #16 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg
“Characterless and disappointing for a new hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed for 4 nights on a business trip. The setting is not great as it is surrounded by building sites, my room faced directly onto surrounding buildings with a patch of sky above. There is no decent bar / lounge area to relax: The "lounge" is right in the foyer and the bar is off the foyer with no access to an outside patio and fresh air. The menu is disappointing for a chain such as the Crowne Plaza, however staff are friendly. I was running a conference and had connection problems to the overhead projector as it was just a jumble of wires with damaged connectors. All in all rather disappointing

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
CPNBO_Management, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Steve H,

Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback on your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. This will enable us strive in our service delivery and be able to improve expectations of our customers. With this candid feedback we are able to take Crowne Plaza Nairobi to even higher levels. I have taken note of the drawbacks and assure you that they will be addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back and offer you a memorable experience next time you are in Nairobi.

Ken Musili.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
general
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I reviewed this hotel a few years ago, found it comfortable but still trying to find its character in terms of the kind of traveler it attracts (pleasing few in the juxtaposition). Like others reviewing at that time I complained about the lack of breakfast options, just a super-expensive buffet.

On this recent stay I had a superb room.

The breakfast buffet is unchanged (and still super-expensive), but now complementary for guests, so I enjoyed taking my little coffee, fruit juice, eggs and toast there in the morning. Further, the alternative, a restaurant across the street where one could obtain a good basic breakfast for a truly reasonable price, has closed. I think (I can't confirm) that as the neighborhood has developed that the hotel has also raised its prices, so maybe that "complementary" breakfast is included in the higher room price and I'm subsidizing the high-end diners, but even if that is the case, the management has done well to no longer scare off the modest breakfasters.

The staff welcomed me back (after a few years), which could well be a formula approach except that (1) the doorman recognized me and not my co-traveler who had not yet visited the hotel, and (2) another resumed a discourse we had been having back then on a friend-to-friend level rather than staff-to-client.

Negatives. (1) My shower had only tepid water at its hottest, strange because the sink had ample hot water; I hope they have addressed this. (2) The area is still muddy and difficult with all the construction going on, but that's the price of being an early comer and beyond management's capability to change. On balance this hotel has earned my great respect and I retract my previous review.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the inner courtyard and thus face other windows directly. Try to get an outside room...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
CPNBO_Management, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Many thanks AfricaAsiaTraveller for your candid feedback on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We truly value our guests' feedback as they provide us with an opportunity to improve on service delivery. I have taken note of your comments and have shared with the team.

We are indeed grateful that you did not write us off the first time; you gave us another opportunity. At Crowne Plaza Nairobi, we want our guests to feel supported, respected, recognized and making them feel valued and important. We do this by offering a one step ahead experience.

Thank you for recommending us to other trip advisor reviewers and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff is unbelievably friendly and courteous. Security is acceptable and professionally done. Room are extremely comfortable and clean. Breakfast is very good as well as all the other food i ate in the hotel. I can't recommend staying here enough.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dear Xing30west,

We appreciate your time to give us such a great review on Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

We all grinning as we read that you had a fantastic experience with us.

Thank you for recommending us to other reviewers and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Wishes,
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were welcomed well at the Hotel, quick booking and visit to the rooms. Upon Arrival to the room we noted that the TV was not functional and had to be moved to anew room. The stay was fantastic, great rooms, nice foods and happy staff.
The only thing they need to do is check on the bathrooms...the handles at the bath-tab came off the wall and I had to return and knock them back to the wall!!...were they for beauty? the shower room had its own issues that one has to continuously press the switch/knob to change from the main shower to the hand-held shower. If you get your hand off the knob it automatically goes to the hand-held shower.
Above all, I did not steal the wine,...these guys trusted us so much that no one check whether we consumed thier wine

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Many Thanks Maurice W for your candid feedback on your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We love to hear that our guests are well taken care of by our hotel colleagues. At Crowne Plaza Nairobi, we strive to make our guests feel able to do their best, achieve their goals and be recognized for their success.

We have taken note of your comments and have shared with team. We take all our guests' feedback seriously as they provide an opportunity for improvement.

It was indeed our pleasure hosting you and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent a week there for business and found it much more refreshing than the usual business hotels downtown. Hotel is only 5 years old - that helps a lot. Friendly staff. Food good, seems to be cooked in small batches so tastes fresh; Good variety although sometimes hard to find meat that isn't smothered in sauce. Location in Upper Hill makes it difficult to drive to central business district because of limited access roads and infinite traffic snarls. Lots of construction in area but noise not heard in hotel. Happy hour in the pub Wednesday 5:50-7:30. Free shopping shuttle on weekends.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
CPNBO_Management, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear g r,

We appreciate your great feedback on stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. It was indeed our pleasure hosting you while in Nairobi.

We are delighted to read that you had a refreshing stay with us and that our team supported you, made you feel important and helped you feel restored and balanced. I will with great pleasure share this with them because this is what they stand for.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Staff is phenomenal, and accommodating. Facilities are clean and comfortable. Beds provide for a great nights sleep every time. Road Access leaves a bit to be desired but it's improving. Health club is the best of the 4/5 stars in the area. So why not excellent?? I stay here every month for at least a week, and have been for over a year, the one issue is inconsistency. Small quirky things like, having a bathrobe and slippers, ordering a plate and it being the same as last time. These are such small things which should be standardized, but when you need these items it really is a pain to have to call and request them or to complain about the plate. It makes me feel like they I'm always complaining whereas in fact I'm just requesting the comforts and great food dishes which gives me the desire to return. Maybe I'm being too hard by not rating as excellent, but I hate the feeling of bothering the very friendly staff with these request every month. These points do not take away from it being the best to date. And certainly relaxing after a hard day at work or play.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
CPNBO_Management, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Many thanks Terral B S for your candid feedback on your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. It has indeed been a pleasure hosting you and we are delighted to read that our hotel colleagues take great care of you.

Crowne Plaza Nairobi strives to provide exemplary services to all our guests; being perceptive to our guests needs and working with others seamlessly to help them be successful. Your comments have been noted and will be acted upon.

Thank you for recommending Crowne Plaza Nairobi to other trip advisor reviewers.

We appreciate your most continued loyalty- IHG Rewards Platinum membership.

Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We recently missed our connecting flight in Nairobi, and booked a room last minute at this hotel. What a beautiful place! The lobby is big, bright, and airy. The bed was so comfortable and had a great shower! But, best of all, the staff was so friendly and accommodating to all our needs -- it made the frustrating and inconvenient layover a million times easier! Even though we were unlucky when we missed our connection, we were very lucky to find this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear gerie74,

We appreciate your time to give us your great feedback your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

It was indeed a pleasure to host you while on transit and we are delighted to read that you had a great experience. I will with pleasure share your feedback with the team and I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Ken Musili.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!