“Safe and Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Safe and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night before leaving for the Masai Mara. Everything was good except for the price. I felt like it was expensive for what we received. Our total bill was about $450 USD for 1 night stay, 2 breakfast buffets, airport pick up for 2, and room service (fish and chips and chicken strips appetizer) which we were double charged for. Nothing was outstanding but I did appreciate the clean comfortable bed and feeling safe after 36 hours of traveling. The air conditioning in the room did not let me change the setting. The service was very good. Just double check your bill when you check out. If you have already signed for room service don't let them also charge you again at check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear TravelingHokie7 ,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Nairobi as your hotel of choice. We appreciate the time you took to share your valued feeddback with us.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service,food and accommodation to our valued guests and your comments are important to us. The feedback we receive from our guets,like you,enable us to take appropriate measures to ensure the highest level of hospitality.

We were concerned to hear about the double charge on your room service bill. Please accept our sincerest apologies.We will share your comment with the Food & Beverage Manager so that action can be taken to prevent repeat occurrences of this nature.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Lorenzo Baleri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Zürich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Going through the reviews looking for a hotel in Nairobi, there seemed to be issues with so many of the hotels. In these cases, we usually settle on a chain hoping for some consistent quality and also for secuity rasons - that is why we opted for the Crowne Plaza. We were "satisfied" though not impressed. We ate in the restuarant on the first evening and it was OK. As was the room and the service. All just about OK. We stayed here just before Christmas and it was dead (seems to be more of a business hotel). They had quite a nice gym - probably the bit we liked the most.

The Crowne Plaza is really cut off. It would be OK if the surroundings were nice (nice gardens) but there is nothing. Lots of new buildings springing up in this area. Looking out the window is a bit depressing. During the day it is possible/safe to walk around downtown in Nairobi and for a future visit we would choose somewhere downtown or somehwere with nice grounds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Tagesthemen ,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations during this stay with us.

We value all guests comments and feedback so that we may constantly strive to improve service and quality of offerings at our hotel.

Looking forward to hosting you at Crowne Plaza Nairobi in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights here in February 2013. For business, the location is perfect (if your business is located in Upper Hill) to avoid the ridiculous Nairobi traffic.
Rooms are comfortable, and tv channel selection is pretty good. The bathroom is acceptable, although they could have focused a bit on finishing it off better (water leaked through gaps in the shower door - a complaint also aired by a colleague in another room)
Breakfast and dinner at the hotel is pretty good - although wine prices are hectic! (generally in most of Nairobi)
Customer service was good although one incident had us scratching our heads. We asked the reception staff to recommend a decent restaurant - they sent us to Tamarind (pretty good but pricey, but that's for another review).
We arrange a hotel car to take us to the restaurant, and when we got there, the driver promptly invited himself to dinner with us. His reasoning was that he would be waiting for us in any case, and that he hasn't eaten yet!
I suppose we could have refused, but then, would the car have been there when we were done... who knows?
In any event, the stay was enjoyable, and I wouldn't have a problem returning.

• Stayed February 2013
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear ZA_Andre ,

Thank you for having stayed with us at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi whilst staying in Nairobi and for your recommendation.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that customer service met your expectations.

We have noted your comments regarding the taxi driver and have addressed this with the service provider and have taked the appropriate steps to ensure corrective action is taken.

The Crowne Plaza Nairobi Team looks forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Fast internet! Very very professional and friendly staff,they really enjoy their job ..from the bellhop to the reception staff,the gym staff,security staff,housekeepingthey are all great!
Loved the room especially the option of having to pick from a variety of pillows.I could go on and on about Crowne Plaza,always a lovely place to be.
I did notice that they have received an award from Tripadvisor which they truly deserve!!
Great job guys! Keep it up! See you soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Lisa R ,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Nairobi as your preferred hotel and for writing such a complimentary review on Trpadvisor.

We strive to give exceptional service to all our guests and it is great to hear such positive feedback. I will certainly share the review with my Team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi soon.

dakar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed at the crowne plaza for one week on a training organised by my company.

Upon arrival i was upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise for a lady as the bathroom was huge and the tub very large.
Everything was good, has breakfast in room 6 days in a row. The fruit platter is excellent and the eggs also. Only thing is that they made many times mistakes on the bread basket ( someyimes 2 slices, some others 2 small rolls) i would have expected for room service that padtry and bread basket would have at least pastries and bread). Small things that are sad for a high end.
The room was very clean and i loved the pillow spray.
The massage at the spa also excellent! Thanks elisabeth! And the steam room and sauna that are in the changind room area is free of access and a pleasure.
I enjoyed my stay in this hotel and keep being attentive to details!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear queensi,

Thank you very much for your recent visit at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We highly appreciate that you took precious time to let us know that you were satisfied with our overall service performance and that you espescially appreciated our clean spacious rooms which all of our rooms have both a shower and tub offering a choice to our diverse profile of guests

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and in particular enjoyed the Breakfast spread in the Baraza Restaurant. I have noted your comments about the In- Room breakfast pastry and bread offering and have taken immediate steps to rectify the standard as suggested by you.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Spa,Steamroom and the massage from Elizabeth,our therapist and will personally convey your appreciation for her services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi in the not too distant future.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is conveniantly situated at Upper Hill in Nairobi. The rooms are the fairly standard international business type.
Breakfast is OK. Lunch and dinner food is trying to be international, but the kitchen must have been trained locally. e.g. a Greek Salad will be drowned in a yoghurt-like dressing and a Club Sandwich will be dry and boring.
The hotel sells a local microbrew from the Big 5 breweries, an execellent lager. If they could just serve it cold it would be perfect.
The fitness center is one of the better ones seens in a long time. But its marred by very loud music and a large portion of the attendees being non-hotel residents.
The security is very good and the bell man very attentive.
At the reception the service attitude is somewhat lacking with no greetings, no answers to your queries etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear bulgenes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback response regarding your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I was disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations this time and have taken your comments seriously in order to ensure we rectify any shortcomings.
In addition I have addressed your constructive feedback with the my Team assuring you that these will be followed up accordingly.

I have taken the liberty of contacting you direct via email regarding the issues raised.

Wishing you a cordial stay with us.

Best Regards

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel first took the full amount for my long stay. Instead of holding/blocking the funds for the stay, the reception debited the full amount from my credit card. This was a shock that I discovered and reported the problem to the hotel reception. Then I was told that the transaction has been cancelled as the hotel made a mistake and the funds were returned in full to my credit card account.

At the time of check-out after nearly two-week business stay, the reception of the hotel charged me again for the full amount which I paid in good faith at this Intercontinental Hotel Group hotel (Crowne Plaza - 5 star). After leaving Nairobi, I checked my credit card account to find that the Hotel never refunded the first full payment back to my credit card account and gave false information. Further, based on this wrong information, they charged again for the full amount(basically I was charged twice the correct charges). I called the credit card company which informed me that the hotel never refunded the amount nor even cancelled the transaction they promised that they did. I am deeply worried as any one can imagine and stressed. Luckily, I retained the proof of payments to Crowne Plaza hotel but it is a hassel to call/write and follow-through for what should have been a normal stay at this 5-star Crowne Plaza hotel. My mistake was to accept the statement of the reception that the funds were returned which does not appear to be the case as per the credit card company. Overall a very sad experience.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear bestUk ,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry to hear about the error in the credit card charges and the lack of feedback from our reception staff which resulted in a delay in crediting the incorrect charges to your card account.

Please let me apologise sincerely for the lack of emphathy and follow up from my colleagues.

We have take your feedback very seriously to ensure a re-occurence will not happen again. I have furthermore taken the liberty and have contacted you directly.

I hope this incident will not defer you from coming back to stay with us.

Best Regards

Lorenzo Baleri

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!