“Good value, but some question marks.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #16 of 102 hotels in Nairobi
“Good value, but some question marks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights here in February 2013. For business, the location is perfect (if your business is located in Upper Hill) to avoid the ridiculous Nairobi traffic.
Rooms are comfortable, and tv channel selection is pretty good. The bathroom is acceptable, although they could have focused a bit on finishing it off better (water leaked through gaps in the shower door - a complaint also aired by a colleague in another room)
Breakfast and dinner at the hotel is pretty good - although wine prices are hectic! (generally in most of Nairobi)
Customer service was good although one incident had us scratching our heads. We asked the reception staff to recommend a decent restaurant - they sent us to Tamarind (pretty good but pricey, but that's for another review).
We arrange a hotel car to take us to the restaurant, and when we got there, the driver promptly invited himself to dinner with us. His reasoning was that he would be waiting for us in any case, and that he hasn't eaten yet!
I suppose we could have refused, but then, would the car have been there when we were done... who knows?
In any event, the stay was enjoyable, and I wouldn't have a problem returning.

• Stayed February 2013
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear ZA_Andre ,

Thank you for having stayed with us at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi whilst staying in Nairobi and for your recommendation.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that customer service met your expectations.

We have noted your comments regarding the taxi driver and have addressed this with the service provider and have taked the appropriate steps to ensure corrective action is taken.

The Crowne Plaza Nairobi Team looks forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Crowne Plaza Nairobi

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Fast internet! Very very professional and friendly staff,they really enjoy their job ..from the bellhop to the reception staff,the gym staff,security staff,housekeepingthey are all great!
Loved the room especially the option of having to pick from a variety of pillows.I could go on and on about Crowne Plaza,always a lovely place to be.
I did notice that they have received an award from Tripadvisor which they truly deserve!!
Great job guys! Keep it up! See you soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Lisa R ,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Nairobi as your preferred hotel and for writing such a complimentary review on Trpadvisor.

We strive to give exceptional service to all our guests and it is great to hear such positive feedback. I will certainly share the review with my Team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi soon.

dakar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed at the crowne plaza for one week on a training organised by my company.

Upon arrival i was upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise for a lady as the bathroom was huge and the tub very large.
Everything was good, has breakfast in room 6 days in a row. The fruit platter is excellent and the eggs also. Only thing is that they made many times mistakes on the bread basket ( someyimes 2 slices, some others 2 small rolls) i would have expected for room service that padtry and bread basket would have at least pastries and bread). Small things that are sad for a high end.
The room was very clean and i loved the pillow spray.
The massage at the spa also excellent! Thanks elisabeth! And the steam room and sauna that are in the changind room area is free of access and a pleasure.
I enjoyed my stay in this hotel and keep being attentive to details!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear queensi,

Thank you very much for your recent visit at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We highly appreciate that you took precious time to let us know that you were satisfied with our overall service performance and that you espescially appreciated our clean spacious rooms which all of our rooms have both a shower and tub offering a choice to our diverse profile of guests

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and in particular enjoyed the Breakfast spread in the Baraza Restaurant. I have noted your comments about the In- Room breakfast pastry and bread offering and have taken immediate steps to rectify the standard as suggested by you.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Spa,Steamroom and the massage from Elizabeth,our therapist and will personally convey your appreciation for her services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi in the not too distant future.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is conveniantly situated at Upper Hill in Nairobi. The rooms are the fairly standard international business type.
Breakfast is OK. Lunch and dinner food is trying to be international, but the kitchen must have been trained locally. e.g. a Greek Salad will be drowned in a yoghurt-like dressing and a Club Sandwich will be dry and boring.
The hotel sells a local microbrew from the Big 5 breweries, an execellent lager. If they could just serve it cold it would be perfect.
The fitness center is one of the better ones seens in a long time. But its marred by very loud music and a large portion of the attendees being non-hotel residents.
The security is very good and the bell man very attentive.
At the reception the service attitude is somewhat lacking with no greetings, no answers to your queries etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear bulgenes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback response regarding your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I was disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations this time and have taken your comments seriously in order to ensure we rectify any shortcomings.
In addition I have addressed your constructive feedback with the my Team assuring you that these will be followed up accordingly.

I have taken the liberty of contacting you direct via email regarding the issues raised.

Wishing you a cordial stay with us.

Best Regards

Crowne Plaza Nairobi
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel first took the full amount for my long stay. Instead of holding/blocking the funds for the stay, the reception debited the full amount from my credit card. This was a shock that I discovered and reported the problem to the hotel reception. Then I was told that the transaction has been cancelled as the hotel made a mistake and the funds were returned in full to my credit card account.

At the time of check-out after nearly two-week business stay, the reception of the hotel charged me again for the full amount which I paid in good faith at this Intercontinental Hotel Group hotel (Crowne Plaza - 5 star). After leaving Nairobi, I checked my credit card account to find that the Hotel never refunded the first full payment back to my credit card account and gave false information. Further, based on this wrong information, they charged again for the full amount(basically I was charged twice the correct charges). I called the credit card company which informed me that the hotel never refunded the amount nor even cancelled the transaction they promised that they did. I am deeply worried as any one can imagine and stressed. Luckily, I retained the proof of payments to Crowne Plaza hotel but it is a hassel to call/write and follow-through for what should have been a normal stay at this 5-star Crowne Plaza hotel. My mistake was to accept the statement of the reception that the funds were returned which does not appear to be the case as per the credit card company. Overall a very sad experience.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear bestUk ,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry to hear about the error in the credit card charges and the lack of feedback from our reception staff which resulted in a delay in crediting the incorrect charges to your card account.

Please let me apologise sincerely for the lack of emphathy and follow up from my colleagues.

We have take your feedback very seriously to ensure a re-occurence will not happen again. I have furthermore taken the liberty and have contacted you directly.

I hope this incident will not defer you from coming back to stay with us.

Best Regards

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was absolutely perfect for our needs. My girlfriend and I were on the way back from an amazing safari at Royal Mara, and decided to rest here while in Nairobi. The hotel is in a good location near downtown and is very close to the Nairobi club, Kenyatta Hospital, etc. The room was honestly one of the the nicest we've seen in Africa, very western. And the amenities were an amazing value, the pool and spa in particular. The food was good (but not the best value), the staff helped us figure out how to do the 2-3 things we needed to around town. Even the free internet was good quality. We were highly satisfied with our stay here and recommend the hotel for its great value!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Daer 1337traveler ,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel and that you were particulary satisfied with the room and amenities, spa, pool and the quality of the free internet.

I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Once again, thank you for recommending the Crowne Plaza Nairobi to fellow TripAdvisor reviewers.

General Manager Crowne Plaza Nairobi
South Shields
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights on business.
The rooms were lovely, spacious with 2 free bottles of water a day. They also gave me some biscuits and chocolates at various times. They had air con.
The hotel has 3 restaurant bar areas, which were nice but not cheap. 450KES for a bottle of beer and 1700KES for a chicken burger.
The pool area is ok, its in the wrong place so you only get sun for a limited time and it faces one of the restaurants so its a bit awkward.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and polite at all times. Especially Ian who helped me get my lift each morning.
I did go for a pedicure with not much else to do in the hotel, this was nice but cost 2300KES.
There isn't much within walking distance except the Gazebo bar over the road which is ok for a change and for something cheaper than the hotel.
Its good if all you want is somewhere to park up and sleep, or not spend much time in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear taly_70uk,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking the time to write a review of your stay here on TripAdvisor.

We were glad to hear that you found our rooms lovely,spacious and comfortable.

It was great to hear the feedback about the staff friendliness and politeness and will certainly pass on the compliments to Ian,our Doorman.

We are delighted to advise that our existing pool will be moved to a much more suitable location soon which will coincide with the extension of the hotel rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Lorenzo Baleri

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!