“Lovely staff, Nice rooms but not cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #15 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
South Shields
“Lovely staff, Nice rooms but not cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights on business.
The rooms were lovely, spacious with 2 free bottles of water a day. They also gave me some biscuits and chocolates at various times. They had air con.
The hotel has 3 restaurant bar areas, which were nice but not cheap. 450KES for a bottle of beer and 1700KES for a chicken burger.
The pool area is ok, its in the wrong place so you only get sun for a limited time and it faces one of the restaurants so its a bit awkward.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and polite at all times. Especially Ian who helped me get my lift each morning.
I did go for a pedicure with not much else to do in the hotel, this was nice but cost 2300KES.
There isn't much within walking distance except the Gazebo bar over the road which is ok for a change and for something cheaper than the hotel.
Its good if all you want is somewhere to park up and sleep, or not spend much time in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear taly_70uk,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking the time to write a review of your stay here on TripAdvisor.

We were glad to hear that you found our rooms lovely,spacious and comfortable.

It was great to hear the feedback about the staff friendliness and politeness and will certainly pass on the compliments to Ian,our Doorman.

We are delighted to advise that our existing pool will be moved to a much more suitable location soon which will coincide with the extension of the hotel rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in mid January. We expected to be charged to the credit card provided online prior to arrival, but this did not happen. On arrival, we were told we would pay a higher amount as our rate did not include the 20% discount offered online, even though we had booked online and done so miles in advance. After some debate we managed to get the online rate we had expected. We enjoyed our stay at the hotel for a few days as it is very clean, the staff are nice and it is quite a good location (although a bit out of the way for central Nairobi and on a terrible stretch of road). We paid the discounted amount upon leaving the hotel and went on our way to Mombasa where we were next staying. When I went to use my card at an ATM there, I was unable to do so. Assuming it had been blocked I rang my bank who told me that it had not been blocked, and that TWO charges were due out to the hotel, one which had cleared and the other which had not cleared as I did not have enough money in my account, thus preventing me from accessing my money for the remainder of the holiday, effectively leaving me finanically stranded had it not been for one of my friends being able to lend me the money.

Being charged double for a room and thus prevented from using your card abroad is one thing, but the real issue was the level of customer service we received in pursuing this issue. After approximately 20 phone calls to the hotel including management we received absolutely no response to any of them. I also emailed to no avail. It was not for an entire week and having returned to the UK and contacted the IHG customer care team that any progress whatsoever was made, and this in itself was incredibly slow. Eventually the pending charge on my account was removed by the hotel but no mention of this was made to me and I only found out by ringing my bank and checking again with them.

The whole incident was extremely stressful and caused us vast inconvenience, not to mention incurred some expense from calling and using internet on UK phones whilst in Kenya. While the hotel was absolutely fine to stay in, this level of customer service absolutely falls short of what you'd expect from a four star hotel and I cannot recommend it to any travellers as I would not wish anyone to experience what we did - if this were to happen to anyone travelling without friends or with friends who were not in a position to lend them money they would find themselves in a serious situation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Sophie O ,

Thank you for your feeedback regarding your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking the time to post here on TripAdvisor.

We were very disappointed to hear that there were billing issues and misunderstaning about the rates and credit card charges and the customer service received in pursuing the issue, which caused you stress and inconvenience during your stay in Kenya recently.

I will personally be taking these points up with my management team and will be reponding to you via your email under seperate cover shortly.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

After 10 days in the "bush", I needed some A/C, good food, hot shower and good bed. I got all of that and more during my two night stay. Professional/helpful staff. Good food (although a bit pricey), and a GREAT massage to boot! The steam room and work out facility were a great help in working out the Kenya road kinks. I am adding this stop as a regular for my Kenya trips.

Room Tip: If you are a priority member, ask for a complimentary upgrade when you book. If it is available, th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Razorback11 ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel. Thank you for your complimentary feedback in relation to the good food,, comfortable bed and professional/helpful staff.

We were glad that your enjoyed our gym and spa facilities, in particular the massage and the steam room after your work out !!

Thank you for recommending the Crowne Plaza Nairobi to fellow reviewers and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was two nights in Nairobi and needed a hotel the local airport and near the client, as traffic is terrible in town. The Crowne Plaza was IT. Superb service a warm welcome at the recon on my arrival, a great and very professional greeting.
The room was super it was spacious, clean and very comfortable.
The restaurant was well stocked, the staff professional and friendly.
The hotel has good high speed Internet, and is easy to use.
All in all a hotel I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite, if you can.
Dear ColmV ,

Thank you so much for your kind words and positive feedback about the superb service and the warm welcome at the reception on arrival at the hotel

We pride ourselves in our spacious , clean and comfortable rooms for which we are renowned of and the friendly and professional staff in our restaurants. I will certainly share the postive feedback with the rest of the team.

Thank you for recommending the Crowne Plaza Nairobi to fellow TripAdvisor readers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Has an excellent dining experience. One you can die for. Courses well presented with kind and welcoming chef. The menu was well explained and I got more than I could bargain for. The bar and fruit cakes were so good. Definitely visit again

Room Tip: Very good for business travellers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Hjkenya ,

Thank you for acknowledging the excellent dining experience received by the team at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We were pleased to know that you enjoyed a wonderful dining experience and that the courses were well presented with the chef being welcoming and visibile.

Indeed, feedback like yours encourage our team to further deliver guests expectations and to achieve our brand promise,creating Great Hotels Guest Love, and am glad we were able to live up to this promise.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

General Manager - Crowne Plaza Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed for four nights while at a conference taking place at the Crowne Plaza. Things started badly as, despite three email requests to the hotel, there was no car and driver at the airport to meet me. That said, there was a hotel car and driver, meeting somebody else, and the driver quickly called the hotel, arranged for another driver to come out and, within 10 minutes I was on my way. Well done to the driver, but someone dropped the ball on the reservation side.

In terms of the location, I did not leave during my stay. If I had wanted to there did not seem much to do in the local area (heavily business) so do not stay here is you want to roam a local area on foot.

The hotel itself was pretty well perfect. Great room, fantastic service, good facilities and a real "buzz" about the place. I would put it on par with any top of the range business hotel anywhere in the world. In a word, and thinking hard about it, I cannot find anything at all to fault it.

I think very much a business hotel - I have not seen a single child here - so maybe not ideal for families, but from a businss perspective I do not think you will find much better - anywhere.

Dear Jonathan200210 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found it to be on par with any top of the range business hotels anywhere in the world.

I will share with my entire team your feedback about your experience regarding the fantastic service,, good facilities, great room and the real buzz at our hotel.

We have taken the liberty of contacting you direct with regards to the airport pickup request and have taken the apppropriate steps to ensure of a more seamless service in the future.

Once again, thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow TripAdvisor viewers.

General Manager - Crowne Plaza Nairobi
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

it just seems that way when your taxi driver turns off the paved road and starts traversing down the most pot-holed dirt tracks in the Upper Hill area. Once you arrive at the Crowne Plaza, and your vehicle is inspected for explosives with under-car mirrors and a quick check of the boot, you're fine. The friendly staff warmly greet you and make you feel welcome. The rooms are what you expect from a top-star chain- well kept, clean and fairly modern since the building is only about 3 years old. The pillow menu is a great service and the breakfast buffet is well worth the visit. Free wi fi (all other hotels take note! FREE wi fi!) and a very well-equipped gym make this a very pleasant property to stay. It's a little out of the way of the city (about a US$5 trip each way which you should negotiate before getting into a taxi - even for the Crowne's own fleet of cars) but it's quiet location. Try the Gazebo Grill place across the road/dirt track from the Crowne for a simple but cheap meal.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the noise from kids (and adults) playing in the swimming pool, ask for a room t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Alvin W ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a most complimentary and detailed review about your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I was particulary pleased to know you enjoyed your trip to Nairobi and there were so many positive aspects to your stay,such as the friendly staff that made you feel welcome from your arrival, modern spacious and clean rooms.

Our Pillow menu in the rooms is very popular. Thank you for the fantastic feedback about our breakfast offering as we pride ourselves in offering the best available in terms of quality, variety and service.

We have taken the view of offering added value to our guests hospitality experience by offering FREE Wi fi and a state of the art Gym which has given our hotel a competitive edge.

Our guests complete satisfaction is our main goal at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and it is very rewarding to learn that this was achieved during your stay. Thank you again for recommending our hotel to other travelers visiting Nairobi and we do look forward to the opportunity of once again welcoming you back to our hotel.

General Manager- Crowne Plaza Nairobi

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!