“Good stay but expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Kendal, UK
“Good stay but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here for a week during July 2012 and found the hotel to be average in comparison to other Crowne Plaza Hotels. The service, food and location were ok but not when the room price of $250 is taken into account. Breakfast was not included in my package and was very expensive so I did not take it after the first morning, there was the option of tea/coffee with a light snack in the Lobby (piano) bar area. The bar adjacent to the lifts provides the best option for a casual meal in the evening. Service was friendly and efficeint and my hotel taxi was nearly always on time to pick me up at the end of the day, newcomers beware that traffic can be very congested during the evening rush hour and especially on Friday evenings. In summary I would say that this hotel is average but rather an expensive option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Bruce_Angelika,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi and taking the time to write a review of your stay here on TripAdvisor.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service friendly and efficient.

Your feedback has been noted and will be shared with management and staff.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

General Manager,Crowne Plaza Nairobi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here (15th,July,2012) just want to be with someone who is important to me , the room NO. 310 .
I got a comfortable and big bed , The room is clean. the keycard is always not to use,we change it so many times,but it is ok. the breakfast was excellent but it was awfully expensive , the pizza of dinner is very good. particularly the security staff at the entrance who are very friendly staff .they like my bag because my bag is like a big shoe . The pool is more of a children's pool.but it is still a good bussiness hotel .
i will come back.
It has not a good restaurant nearby, i need to by taxi to find .

Room Tip: The new hotel is being built beside Crowne hotel , some noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear angela_youssef,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the comfortable and big bed and that our staff managed to make your stay a good one.

Thank you too for recommending our hotel to fellow TripAdvisor travelllers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on a business trip. My overall experience was good to very good.

Taking into consideration security the hotel was very good. Incoming cars are checked quite thoroughly I would say, so do people entering the hotel premises as well as their belongings. Hotel entrance was also equipped with a metal-detector. The overall process gave me the feeling of being safe.

The hotel staff was very friendly and eager to service and assist you in any way. Breakfast had limited options, fresh juice was served though as well as sealed bottled still water. A chef was there to prepare custom ordered omelette.

The double-bedded room was quite spacious for me and quite clean. The bath-tub was rusted so I did not use it(obviously poor quality). Shower was adequately spaced, but the shower hose was not long enough to properly shower myself. The room TV was not working, the handyman mentioned that the specific room had problems previously with TV reception, since the channels were limited I decided to stay in the room regardless of being offered another room. Internet was included in price and offered by wire only(bring your own Ethernet cable otherwise you will have to pay 5 euro deposit for an Ethernet cable). Room mini-bar sealed no chance to get your water cold at night. Sealed water bottle replenished daily.

Room service is quite expensive, I ordered twice a juicy rib-eye steak, the chef really new how to prepare it and serve it. The best ready made steak I personally tasted. It was the only thing on the menu that was value for money.

The hotel is located far from the city centre, but the location seems to be friendly at least during the day and generally a peaceful area. It has also a pool indoors the building near the dining area which is quite small for the size of the hotel. If it was hot and sunny I would have tried it.

The only day I could not sleep was before their national day the Madaraka. The locals were celebrating the night before till late in the morning. Generally speaking the hotel area is very quiet. Opposite the hotel there is a restaurant, that you could try.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Angelos C ,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi. We are glad to hear that your overall experience was very good and you found our staff friendly and eager to serve and assist in any way.We are also pleased about your positive comments about safety and security at the hotel.

The standard Breakfast offering in the club lounge is a continental breakfast and have opted to offer a wider variety of dishes which include hot dishes similar to a Full English Breakfast.However, we have noted your comments and will share with my team as to offer a wider variety on a daily basis.

We have noted your comments about the bath tub , shower hose and the TV reception. and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our TV bouquet of channels comprises 24 choices and we are in the process of introducing a further 5 popular international TV channels.Also, our entire hotel,rooms and public areas offer free unlimited wireless internet connection and am sorry you were not made aware of this upon check in.

Thank you for any constructive feedback as this enables us to address any flaws as we strive to continually enhance the service and experience we deliver.

We sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Spend one night at the Crown Plaza Nairobi
Quick airport pickup - very helpfull driver
Nice check in at the Club floor
The club room is good but some ameneties like toothbrush are missing
poor breakfast at the club lounge

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Shibre,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Crowne plaza Nairobi.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, specifically the service recieved from our shuttle driver and the Club Lounge guest attendant on check in.

We are sorry to hear that about your feedback regarding the breakfast in the Club Lounge and will be sharing it with Management and staff to address any shortcomings to avoid this from happening in the future. Toothbrush & toothpaste kits are availbale on request and are not a standard item available in the room.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've stayed here on multiple business trips this year and have had a great experience everytime. While it is nothing fancy and there are nicer places in Nairobi, the service is very good and the staff are all great.

A few other highlights--the restaurant food is very good, the hotel gym is very nice (pretty good size and variety of equipment--all brand new TechnoGym stuff). There is also a good bar area to get an evening drink and a cafe area to get a morning coffee.

The location is a bit quiet, and there isn't even an restaurant that is close enough to walk to, but it's a very safe area and quite convenient to many parts of the city (and relatively good for traffic).

The hotel also has a large number of hotel cars that allow you to organize pickups and drop offs around the city at competitive rates (other hotels are usually much more expensive than cabs) and you can charge everything to your room.

A few very small negatives:
- the pool is surrounded by the casual restaurant, which serves three meals a day. So it's not really a very good location to lay out and get some sun or even go swimming
- the breakfast buffet is so-so. It's nothing bad but staying here a lot one wishes for something a bit better

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear patrickdward,

We are glad to hear that you choose our hotel when in Nairobi and have had a Great experience everytime we host you and we would like to thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to read the detailed comments and the positive aspects of your stay such as the very good service and food in the restaurants and Great staff which we will share with our team.

We are proud to showcase our state of the art gym and our restaurants and are happy to advise that we will be embarking on an expansion plan soon which entails more luxury bedrooms,conference facilities and relocation of the existing pool area.In the process we are reviewing our breakfast menus to suit a broader variety of offerings to our vast guest profile.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Wishes,

Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed Sep,2011,8 nights side trips for safaris.my room was large for 1 person,,nice 2 resturants plus bar.Its about a 15 to 20 min walk to the center of Nairobi,I felt safe although I made it look as if I new exactly where I was going,,,LOL,,and yes I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear cn-trainman ,

It was pleasing to read your comments about the wonderful stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi recently and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best wishes

Durban, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

PRIVACY & SECURITY - On my 2nd night, a male attendant opened my room's door without knocking or ringing the bell. I was terrifed upon hearing the door clicked so I ran and checked. I asked him why he was intruding and he told me he thought I was about to check out. First, if he was supposed to see a guest checking out, he should have checked the room number carefully. Second, he should never enter a room using the hotel key without checking if someone is in by ringing the bell. Now I get so paranoid hearing noises near my room's door. In fairness to the management, when I sent an e-mail to the general manager I got a prompt response saying they will investigate. After that, I was not informed what happened next.

BILLING - The Bill Review on TV is not accurate. I got multiple charges for the mini bar. I informed the mini bar attendant Titus and I appreciate his promptness in verifying and correcting the charges posted.

HOUSEKEEPING - It is difficult to reach them. Most of the time, my calls were re-directed to reception. After complaining, the service has not improved.

LOCATION - far from the central business district so you only get your meal at the pricey hotel restaurants (but the food is good though..the chef is good!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear wandering_dive_geek ,

Thank you for your review of you stay with us in July 2012.

You have identified some deficiencies that I have addressed without delay and have taken appropriate corrective action to remedy these, as this should have not occured.

I have looked further at the issue with the room mini bar billing and the Housekeeping promptness in the telephone service.

We will monitor and continuosly evaluate the issues that you have brought to our attention as this will only impove the overall excellence to our guests in the future.

Thank you again for the review.We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again.

Kind Regards

Lorenzo Baleri

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!