“One night at the Crown Plaza” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Tel Aviv, Israel
“One night at the Crown Plaza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Spend one night at the Crown Plaza Nairobi
Quick airport pickup - very helpfull driver
Nice check in at the Club floor
The club room is good but some ameneties like toothbrush are missing
poor breakfast at the club lounge

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Shibre,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Crowne plaza Nairobi.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, specifically the service recieved from our shuttle driver and the Club Lounge guest attendant on check in.

We are sorry to hear that about your feedback regarding the breakfast in the Club Lounge and will be sharing it with Management and staff to address any shortcomings to avoid this from happening in the future. Toothbrush & toothpaste kits are availbale on request and are not a standard item available in the room.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lorenzo Baleri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've stayed here on multiple business trips this year and have had a great experience everytime. While it is nothing fancy and there are nicer places in Nairobi, the service is very good and the staff are all great.

A few other highlights--the restaurant food is very good, the hotel gym is very nice (pretty good size and variety of equipment--all brand new TechnoGym stuff). There is also a good bar area to get an evening drink and a cafe area to get a morning coffee.

The location is a bit quiet, and there isn't even an restaurant that is close enough to walk to, but it's a very safe area and quite convenient to many parts of the city (and relatively good for traffic).

The hotel also has a large number of hotel cars that allow you to organize pickups and drop offs around the city at competitive rates (other hotels are usually much more expensive than cabs) and you can charge everything to your room.

A few very small negatives:
- the pool is surrounded by the casual restaurant, which serves three meals a day. So it's not really a very good location to lay out and get some sun or even go swimming
- the breakfast buffet is so-so. It's nothing bad but staying here a lot one wishes for something a bit better

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear patrickdward,

We are glad to hear that you choose our hotel when in Nairobi and have had a Great experience everytime we host you and we would like to thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to read the detailed comments and the positive aspects of your stay such as the very good service and food in the restaurants and Great staff which we will share with our team.

We are proud to showcase our state of the art gym and our restaurants and are happy to advise that we will be embarking on an expansion plan soon which entails more luxury bedrooms,conference facilities and relocation of the existing pool area.In the process we are reviewing our breakfast menus to suit a broader variety of offerings to our vast guest profile.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Wishes,

Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed Sep,2011,8 nights side trips for safaris.my room was large for 1 person,,nice 2 resturants plus bar.Its about a 15 to 20 min walk to the center of Nairobi,I felt safe although I made it look as if I new exactly where I was going,,,LOL,,and yes I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
lorenzo_baleri, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear cn-trainman ,

It was pleasing to read your comments about the wonderful stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi recently and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best wishes

Durban, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

PRIVACY & SECURITY - On my 2nd night, a male attendant opened my room's door without knocking or ringing the bell. I was terrifed upon hearing the door clicked so I ran and checked. I asked him why he was intruding and he told me he thought I was about to check out. First, if he was supposed to see a guest checking out, he should have checked the room number carefully. Second, he should never enter a room using the hotel key without checking if someone is in by ringing the bell. Now I get so paranoid hearing noises near my room's door. In fairness to the management, when I sent an e-mail to the general manager I got a prompt response saying they will investigate. After that, I was not informed what happened next.

BILLING - The Bill Review on TV is not accurate. I got multiple charges for the mini bar. I informed the mini bar attendant Titus and I appreciate his promptness in verifying and correcting the charges posted.

HOUSEKEEPING - It is difficult to reach them. Most of the time, my calls were re-directed to reception. After complaining, the service has not improved.

LOCATION - far from the central business district so you only get your meal at the pricey hotel restaurants (but the food is good though..the chef is good!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear wandering_dive_geek ,

Thank you for your review of you stay with us in July 2012.

You have identified some deficiencies that I have addressed without delay and have taken appropriate corrective action to remedy these, as this should have not occured.

I have looked further at the issue with the room mini bar billing and the Housekeeping promptness in the telephone service.

We will monitor and continuosly evaluate the issues that you have brought to our attention as this will only impove the overall excellence to our guests in the future.

Thank you again for the review.We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again.

Mombasa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

As far as Nairobi goes, this is one of the best rivalled only by Fairview Hotel. I still don't understand why every hotel in Nairobi is so expensive by world standards but Crowne Plaza is good value by Nairobi standards. Great service, fantastic breakfast and restaurant serves a nice dinner too despite being expectedly overpriced. I've stayed at Crowne twice and both times the glass shower screen was quite dirty but everything else is very clean. The Mini Bar was also strange both times. There is a cable ties holding it shut which made me not open it the first time I visited (thinking maybe something was wrong with it, so they didn't want me to use it). The second visit, I threw caution to the wind and broke the seal to find everything okay. Obviously this is some kind of seal so you know nothing is missing but I really didn't know that on my first visit.

The business centre was good, the fitness centre also good. Overall a great hotel. I stay here when Fairview is full though simply because of the great gardens and restaurants there. This hotel is just as good or better at everything else so I'm just as happy to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Chookmeister69,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

I greatly appreciate your kind words about your our hotel and in particular comments regarding "Great Service, Fantastic Breakfast and Dinner".Your comments will definately be passed on to the team and will be greatly appreciated by them.I was also pleased to read you enjoyed the business centre , fitness centre and that you rate our hotel as a Great Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here for work for a week in February. I was placed on the executive floor, thanks to a rate I found online, which was cheaper than the rate my colleagues got. I'm not sure if I timed it right but it was worth it. I had the perks of private buffet breakfast upstairs, cocktail hour with yummy snacks, and free dry cleaning daily. I also loved the sleep kit with the pillow spray!

I found the hotel comfortable, the service fabulous, and the restaurants tasty. I would recommend!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Valerie210,

I was very pleased to read your most complimentary review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to know that you enjoyed many of the hotel facilities and services, espescially the Breakfast,snacks and Cocktail hour in our Club Lounge.

Our guests complete satisfaction is our main goal at Crowne Plaza Nairobi and it is very rewarding to learn that this has been achieved on your visit.Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers visiting Nairobi.

Best Regards

Suffolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We hosted a business breakfast networkin meeting here for senior leadership in Nairobi and this was the perfect venue for it. It had a real feel of a proper business hotel and the food and service were great. We will defitiely be using it in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ironmummy,

It was pleasing to know that you had a successful networking meeting and found our hotel to be the perfect venue for business and corporate guests.

Your comments made it clear how much you enjoyed the food and appreciated the great service.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Best Regards

Lorenzo Baleri

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!