“Beautiful hotel on the hill” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful hotel on the hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi for two nights prior to a lengthy trip in Africa, and have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. The primary purpose of our stay was to help us to get over jetlag, and the Crowne Plaza exceeded in every respect.

The room was clean and bright, but we were able to achieve total darkness when we drew the blinds. The bed is comfortable, and they will provide you with any firmness and size of pillow you want (in case the pillows already in your room are not to your liking).

The coffee bar by the lobby is also bright, with comfortable chairs, and expert baristas. We passed hours reading and people-watching from there. We ate at both Baraza (casual) and Sikia (fancy) restaurants, and both were delicious.

Finally, we arranged for a guide for a day-trip one day. The guide was professional, the price reasonable, and the hotel staff extremely fast and responsive... over e-mail from Canada.

I don't know if we will ever be to Nairobi again, but if we do, we will certainly be returning here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed at the Crown Plaza for four nights. I was very impressed with the accommodations and the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. I would without a doubt stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Perfectly agreeable business hotel and a good choice in Nairobi, where hotels tend to be either a bit aged or horribly expensive.

The area of the city is a bit of a business district, but if you want a little more local feeling than an international hotel chain, just hop across the street into the bar/restaurant on the other side of the street, which serves a cold Tusker and quite decent food in a neighborhood environment.

I was upgraded to the club floor, which was a nice touch, but unfortunately, my room was right next to the kitchen of the club lounge. Due to bad soundproofing, kichen noises were audible until late and from very early again.

The room was well equipped, to chain standards, clean, bed comfy.

Reception was friendly and efficient. Will be back again, when in Nairobi.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I had initially wanted to stay at the Crowne Plaza which sadly for the days in question was full, so I opted for the 'senior cousin' InterContinental and only went to see the hotel while in the city to get a feel for it.
Clearly aimed at the 'fast' business visitors the hotel has plenty of meeting spaces available, all 'booked' when I came around, as were the rooms on a follow up request to find out if indeed my 'sorry we are fully booked' response was correct. It was!

Breakfast was still ongoing when I popped in and the variety and choices were very adequate indeed, partly served 'al fresco' towards the swimming pool area.

The hotel occupies a choice location on the 'Upper Hill' area of Nairobi which only over the past 10 or so years came to the forefront as another 'Decentralised Business District' besides the CBD proper in the city centre.

The few staff I spoke with were competent and friendly inspite of 'full house', a sign of good training and their ability to deal with pressure.

A must try at one of my future Nairobi stays...

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Kentucky,USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Spent 3 days before and two after a recent safari and I couldn't recommend this hotel more. The staff was consistently friendly and professional, the managers visible and sincere and the rooms beautiful and clean. I
ll be staying here again whenever I return tom Nairobi.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Thelmagirl,

Thank you for your review! We are glad to have been your hotel of choice before and after your safari. Thank you for your kind words!

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Best,
Joshua Brinkerhoff
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed at Crowne Plaza for 5 nights in April 2011 during a business trip to Nairobi. In my view it is a good hotel which gave me no reason to complain other than the one I have given below. Hotel is good, staff is very friendly, location is fine, rooms and amenities are good. Nice clean bathrooms, great housekeeping, you get things when demanded, good room service, easy and reasonably priced taxies available from hotel. Free high speed wireless Internet in room and other areas of hotel was a must have for person like me on a business trip. And it worked.

However, I was amazed to see exactly same buffet breakfast with same menu being served for all 5 days of my stay ! I would have appreciated a minor change in the breakfast menu each day. By the way, lunch and menu a la carte had some yummy dishes to offer that I truly enjoyed.

Overall – highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

“LIVED” in Crowne Plaza, Nairobi for 5 months+ (>160 days) the experience is just fantastic. I was given all types of room during my stay- Standard, Club, Junior Suite and Executive Suite. Most of the time I was in a Suite room. Beds are excellent.

My initial stay at the Hilton was a bad experience because they had bad furniture even after receiving upgrade to the executive room. This made me search for a much better hotel. I did a survey of all the hotels in Nairobi before deciding for a long stay and found that Crowne Plaza is the best choice and newer.

Location is peaceful & safe.

Received Priority club benefits for being platinum member like upgrades, bonus points, club lounge access , laundry etc etc etc.

The hotel staff/management and the duty managers are very friendly and extremely helpful. They made my stay extremely pleasurable and memorable. Service is this hotel is just great. I have stayed in other Crowne Plazas and this is the best of all in service. Hope they keep this up.

Hotel has a fast and reliable free WiFi internet so did most of my office work from the hotel. Club Lounge service is excellent and convenient.

Love the gym and spa. All latest equipments and good trainers. They have many equiptments. Best of all its free for guests.

Food - Restaurants are very also good. Sikia fine dine is excellent. I am sure that they can improve more in this area.

They have a good fleet of inhouse taxis - very convenient, SAFE and reliable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!