“5 Months+ in Crowne Plaza” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #15 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Bangalore, India
“5 Months+ in Crowne Plaza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

“LIVED” in Crowne Plaza, Nairobi for 5 months+ (>160 days) the experience is just fantastic. I was given all types of room during my stay- Standard, Club, Junior Suite and Executive Suite. Most of the time I was in a Suite room. Beds are excellent.

My initial stay at the Hilton was a bad experience because they had bad furniture even after receiving upgrade to the executive room. This made me search for a much better hotel. I did a survey of all the hotels in Nairobi before deciding for a long stay and found that Crowne Plaza is the best choice and newer.

Location is peaceful & safe.

Received Priority club benefits for being platinum member like upgrades, bonus points, club lounge access , laundry etc etc etc.

The hotel staff/management and the duty managers are very friendly and extremely helpful. They made my stay extremely pleasurable and memorable. Service is this hotel is just great. I have stayed in other Crowne Plazas and this is the best of all in service. Hope they keep this up.

Hotel has a fast and reliable free WiFi internet so did most of my office work from the hotel. Club Lounge service is excellent and convenient.

Love the gym and spa. All latest equipments and good trainers. They have many equiptments. Best of all its free for guests.

Food - Restaurants are very also good. Sikia fine dine is excellent. I am sure that they can improve more in this area.

They have a good fleet of inhouse taxis - very convenient, SAFE and reliable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

It was really hard to find an hotel in Nairobi to meet your expectations considering only 1 year ago and now you enjoy a place that is nearly exceeding your expectations,how fast!Located on Upper Hill,it is very convenient for any business trip to Industrial Area or Mombasa road bypassing the traffic mess.All the people serving at hotel are polite and friendly food is excellent and at value.Fitness Center very neat and tidey High Speed free internet works very well.Needs to be more clean in bathrooms.Good night's sleep guaranteed.Providing that we'll have a late check out,we even have received a phone call from the reception informing us about and accident on the airport road.They really care about you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
witley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

My colleagues and I stayed in this hotel for 4 weeks. The staff, below management level were amazing! However, the hotel is in the middle of a building site with constant drilling and pile driving starting at 7.15 am in the mornings, including weekends. A large number of rooms are opposite a club, whose music and vibrations keep you awake until 2.30am. While the hotel appears well built and modern, it lacks all the qualities and consistencies of a 5 star hotel. It charges 5 star prices for a 2 star service. The fire alarms go of regularly at 01.27am, the lifts get stuck frequently. If I had been staying for a week, it probably wouldn't have mattered, but 4 weeks became a nightmare! The hotel does not have a general manager, and is being run by the financial controller who knows little about the hotel business from a customer service perspective. Most evenings, we paid for a taxi to take us to the excellent 'Fairview Hotel' for dinner which provides nuch better service and value for money. The rooms are clean and tidy, the majority of the staff are excellent, but supervision and management is poor, and the lack of hotel experience and understanding of customer service at a managerial level only manifests the problems. Management offer excuses not solutions and only add to the frustrations. Despite being reassured that my and my colleagues complaints would be acted upon, we are still awaiting the promised email advising us of what has been done to improve service for future customers. The feedback to comments from management in relation to other complaints do not appear genuine, and written to appease future customers. This hotel is known locally as either the 'Clown Plaza' or 'Faulty Towers'. We were without hot water for 3 days. I would not have written this review had management emailed me as promised! There were many other problems, but too numerous to list here. Book in at your own risk.

Room Tip: Use only as a last resort and for a short stay!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza as part of a 1 week East Africa busainess trip. I was initially impressed by this hotel as it appears very new and shiny. I later ran into a number of problems that, as a new hotel, I do not think it should be experiencing. Firstly, there was no hot water, which theyh assured would be there by the end of the first night, but then found myself with cold water both that first evening, as well as the next morning. It was not a pleasant experience to have to take a cold shower that early in the morning.
On the second night when the water was warmer (it was still not fully hot by the way), the whole bathroom was completely flooded as the drainage system does not work well. I first thought it was just a problem with my room but it turns out my colleagues also had the same problem.
We had a client meeting at the restaurant Sikia I think it was. I found the service there extremely slow, although they position it as a restaurant for "fine dining" and it was just ourselves and another group in the whole restaurant.
Also tried to have a drink at the downstairs bar and service there was slow, to get a straw took 20 or so minutes, don't even try and order any snacks.
Was in a rush to go to a meeting so wanting to just get a muffin for breakfast at the restaurant nearest to the entrance - there my muffin was just about stale. Luckily the waitor was nice enough to recommend I do not pay for it.
I was really disappointed in this hotel as I expected a lot more. A positive I guess is that the reception staff are very friendly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback as regards your experiences at our hotel. Your comments regarding the hot water and drainage are correct and I can confirm that we have corrected both of the problems. The hot water system is functioning well and the drainage has been repaired.

I have also taken your feedback regarding our service levels very seriously and have already had meetings with the relevant department heads to rectify our shortcomings and ensure that we deliver the required and expected levels of service.

Please accept my apology for these shortcomings and be assured that corrective steps have been taken.

Yours sincerely

Managing Director
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed here the last day of our Safari, and it was great. Super clean, double shower and nice bathroom in general.

We ate lunch and dinner in the restaurant, which were not as upscale as the rest of the hotel - but on the positive side, the food was affordable.

The Hotel is not located in the downtown area, so if you are coming in with the bus as we where from Arusha, you will need to take a taxi up to this hotel. On the other hand, the hotel is quickly accessed from the International Airport because you don't have to go through downtown.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

this was a wonderful hotel. Here for our honeymoon. Very good service. We then flew to Paris: but we loved our time in Kenya: This was a special base:

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments regarding our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Kenya and the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

Kind regards

managing Director
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

If you have choice between Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza, it should be an easy decision. CP is much newer with a great fitness center. One draw back is the location if you wish to have shopping or dinning close by, it's a good 15 min walk to the nearest supermarket (Nacumatt) if you want to stock up on juice or a pastry or two. Hotel restaurant is very expensive, we ate at the small African restaurant across the street, Gazebo. Good food, music, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent comments as regards our hotel.

I take you feedback extremely seriously and will review our restaurant pricing strategy within the market to see how we can better position ourselves.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi when next you are in Kenya.

Kind regards

managing Director

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!