“Rough around the edges but comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Karen Camp
Marula Lane, off Karen Road | Karen, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #28 of 90 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Rough around the edges but comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I often use the Karen Camp when I pass through Nairobi; its cheap and comfortable. Always easy to sit out in the front and chat to people passing through. Its not 4 star but then again nor are the prices

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Castlebar, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We waited here for 4 nights in total, at the start and end of our overland trip with tucan travel. we stayed in dorm rooms for 3 nights and camped 1 night and thought it was a great experience. arranged pick up from the airport directly with Karen camp and it was a lot cheaper than other pre arranged pick ups that some people there had arranged. The camp and food is fairly basic but we enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. the taxi drivers, Smiley and Amos were real gentlemen. nice communal area with bar (nice for chilling out with a few beers) and nice gardens and plenty of hot showers. the camp is also close to the karen shopping centre which has great shopping markets, coffee shops, banks, pharmacies etc.... only negative about the camp is no free wifi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

It's not luxurious, it's very basic but I stay there often as I need an overnight stay...And sometimes its too much hassle to go into the centre of Nairobi. The biggest downside for me is the lack of wifi. They can arrange airport transfers and I used the same taxi driver to drive me around when I had an afternoon in Nairobi before my return flight.
You are also likely to meet some fascinating people as there are often overland travellers and backpackers staying there that always have a good story to share.
It is difficult to find so take a map for the taxi driver if you don't arrange a taxi through Karen Camp

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Karen Camp was the start of my African trip with Tucan, and I booked an extra day there. It was great when I got through customs and there was Smiley holding my name on a sign to take me to Karen Camp. In other words, take advantage of the hotel taxi deal, which you can book through the internet. That was an easy and fast email. The staff was helpful and hooked me up with a "dongle" so I could get internet and use my laptop to email home. They also gave us ideas of what to do with an extra day, so 3 of us went to the elephant orphan place and the giraffe center, as well as a zoo. I had a single room with a shared bathroom and it was comfortable and reasonable. The next night, I was with the group in tents, and big dogs (docile during the day) disturbed my sleep with barking. There are areas where you can have food or drinks and get to know other travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Karen Camp is a great stop if you're doing a long trip and want some down time. It's not so far from central Nairobi that you can't get there fairly easily by bus or taxi, but far enough that you can choose to have a break if you want to. The facilities are fairly basic, but the showers are usually hot, and there are plenty of them. There's plenty of space in the large, pretty garden to pitch your own tents, or you can get a dorm, room or one of their permanent tents, all of which are comfortable, if not luxurious. The bar, food and communal areas are all really nice and the staff are welcoming, friendly and helpful. The area of Karen itself is also nice for a wander around and has a good range of shops, bars and so on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

As a backpacker Karen Camp is good. Although the rooms are basic, they still have mosquito nets. It is slightly further of central Nairobi, in a calmer more Ex-pat area. A fair walk, or a quick taxi ride into Karen with all the amenities. There was internet, a pool table, and a tv we could use. They allowed us to call delivery and organised it for us. As a camper aswell there are separate showers and toilets for us to use. Everyone was pretty helpful around, and the dogs didn't bother us at all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at Karen camp about six years ago, and nothing has changed.
There is still no wifi, the rooms are very basic, and there are big dogs hanging about.
That said, given the lack of choice of decent budget accommodation in this part of Nairobi, the location and helpfulness of the staff made the stay.
They arranged airport picks for us and we could also organise cars once there which was great.
The Only real down side was that we could not access the Internet so were not able to arrange our onwards travel.
This is a fine choice if you want a budget room in the Karen area, however as with most of Nairobi it's not particularly cheap.
Could do with a good clean and upgrade.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Karen Camp? Share your experiences!