“Basic and cheap but a good overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Karen Camp

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Karen Camp
You added Karen Camp to your Saves list
Marula Lane, off Karen Road | Karen, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #36 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Basic and cheap but a good overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

It's not luxurious, it's very basic but I stay there often as I need an overnight stay...And sometimes its too much hassle to go into the centre of Nairobi. The biggest downside for me is the lack of wifi. They can arrange airport transfers and I used the same taxi driver to drive me around when I had an afternoon in Nairobi before my return flight.
You are also likely to meet some fascinating people as there are often overland travellers and backpackers staying there that always have a good story to share.
It is difficult to find so take a map for the taxi driver if you don't arrange a taxi through Karen Camp

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Karen Camp was the start of my African trip with Tucan, and I booked an extra day there. It was great when I got through customs and there was Smiley holding my name on a sign to take me to Karen Camp. In other words, take advantage of the hotel taxi deal, which you can book through the internet. That was an easy and fast email. The staff was helpful and hooked me up with a "dongle" so I could get internet and use my laptop to email home. They also gave us ideas of what to do with an extra day, so 3 of us went to the elephant orphan place and the giraffe center, as well as a zoo. I had a single room with a shared bathroom and it was comfortable and reasonable. The next night, I was with the group in tents, and big dogs (docile during the day) disturbed my sleep with barking. There are areas where you can have food or drinks and get to know other travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Karen Camp is a great stop if you're doing a long trip and want some down time. It's not so far from central Nairobi that you can't get there fairly easily by bus or taxi, but far enough that you can choose to have a break if you want to. The facilities are fairly basic, but the showers are usually hot, and there are plenty of them. There's plenty of space in the large, pretty garden to pitch your own tents, or you can get a dorm, room or one of their permanent tents, all of which are comfortable, if not luxurious. The bar, food and communal areas are all really nice and the staff are welcoming, friendly and helpful. The area of Karen itself is also nice for a wander around and has a good range of shops, bars and so on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

As a backpacker Karen Camp is good. Although the rooms are basic, they still have mosquito nets. It is slightly further of central Nairobi, in a calmer more Ex-pat area. A fair walk, or a quick taxi ride into Karen with all the amenities. There was internet, a pool table, and a tv we could use. They allowed us to call delivery and organised it for us. As a camper aswell there are separate showers and toilets for us to use. Everyone was pretty helpful around, and the dogs didn't bother us at all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at Karen camp about six years ago, and nothing has changed.
There is still no wifi, the rooms are very basic, and there are big dogs hanging about.
That said, given the lack of choice of decent budget accommodation in this part of Nairobi, the location and helpfulness of the staff made the stay.
They arranged airport picks for us and we could also organise cars once there which was great.
The Only real down side was that we could not access the Internet so were not able to arrange our onwards travel.
This is a fine choice if you want a budget room in the Karen area, however as with most of Nairobi it's not particularly cheap.
Could do with a good clean and upgrade.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chisinau, Moldova
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

If you plan an overstop in Nirobi is ok for one or couple nights .. but is far from anything and our driver had hard time finding the camp we got lucky to see a overland truck and told him to follow, and surprise we arrived to plce we need. Well is full of overland trucks which i guess has good deals for them but if you're on your own is a bit pricey for what you get, ad about cleanliness, well depends what you're heading from if you just arrived from overland trip it will look great :) otherwise it need some cleaning. But place is friendly, always full with people, food was ok and their garden looked nice. But if you need to be in the city better to find somthing with better location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at Camp Karen as part of a safari tour. We paid $100 a night for a family room and for what we got I think this was a bit poor. The first 2 nights my partner and I had a room with an en suite and the two children a separate room with a shared bathroom. Although this does not sound too bad, the rooms and en suite were very basic. When we returned from our safari for 3 nights we were all put into 2 separate rooms with shared bathrooms and a bed that sagged very badly in the middle. All this was despite the fact that we saw the "luxury" rooms advertised for $80 per night everywhere throughout the camp. We did go in to look at these luxury rooms and they were very nice. On the plus side, the breakfasts and food - although mainly in the eggs, sausage and chips line - was very good value. And the laundry service was cheap and good.
Karen is probably not the best place for kids as it is very noisy and lots of drinking going on at the time we stayed there. But the staff were great with our kids (and us) and the kids loved the dart board and the dogs. Although the walks to nearby sites in Karen such as the jewelry factory, town itself and museum are fairly long, they are do-able and we felt very safe walking around.For places further afield taxi rides arranged from Karen Camp were a bit steep. Overall we met some nice people there, including the staff, and had some fun times, but the accommodation needs to be updated and they should have some sort of curfew on the drinking and noise. Also I agree free internet access would have been the least we could have had - especially for what we paid.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Karen Camp? Share your experiences!