“Great place to meet friends over Planet Yogurt and Dorman's Ice coffee” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Village Market

The Village Market
9/418 Limuru Road | 100, Nairobi, Kenya (Highridge)
+254 712 248890
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 184 Attractions in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: East Africa's largest entertainment and shopping destination. Description: The Village Market is East Africa's largest Shopping, Recreation and Entertainment destination. The complex is home to over 150 outlets covering 210,000 square feet of retail space, 20,000 square feet of office space in addition to a host of recreation facilities. The mall essentially provides residents of the area with high-end shopping and entertainment, satisfying a niche that was not previously explored. As the name suggests, the complex embodies the spirit of the African market in an open-air setting. To live up to its African theme, are waterfalls, rivers and over 2000 exotic plants and gardens, giving this magnificent shopping centre an edge over other shopping malls. Since its inception 14 years ago, The Village Market has revolutionized shopping while redefining recreation and entertainment. Over the years, the centre has successfully been able to blend modernity and culture to provide an aura of modern shopping.This innovation has not gone unnoticed. Due to its remarkable architectural design, The Village Market has earned numerous accolades including the coveted International Council of Shopping Centres' Design Award.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 attraction reviews
“Great place to meet friends over Planet Yogurt and Dorman's Ice coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

One of my favorite meeting places. Casual, outside food court with plenty of variety and everyone of the many guest I have taken there has found food they enjoyed. I love the seafood place's garlic crab in a shell, Dorman's Ice coffee and Planet Yogurts, frozen yogurt. I think it is the best frozen yogurt anywhere and far better than any I've had in the USA. There very best fresh fish market in Nairobi is there at Prime Cuts Butchery.Their Malindi Sole and Parrot fish being my favorite. I dont do much other shopping there aside from Nakumart and the Green Grocer. The new Seven upscale restaurant upstairs has nice jazz and a relaxing atmosphere.

Visited October 2013

Poznan, Poland
“I recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very nice market. My favorite. Every time when Im in Nairobi I look here. Food and coffee as in Europe. Many remembers and enjoy.

Zaragoza, Spain
13 attraction reviews
“So good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I like this place, is really nice to have a dinner or lunch.. go to the cinema or just go to your friends and enjoy with the fusballs and bolling centre in the last floor.

Oakland, California
25 attraction reviews
“Craft shopping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went to the Village Market on Friday, the day that the traveling Maasai Market was there. Our intent, therefore, was not to shop in the stores of the mall itself, but to find the Maasai Market. That week, it was held outside the mall (by the big water slide that looked like great fun!) It was very hard to find however, because the mall is constructed in a very idiosyncratic way, at least for the casual visitor. There were a number of upscale shops with interesting - but extremely expensive - wares.

The Maasai Market was a real treat however. We saw many interesting and well-made things - from baskets to dresses to jewelry to trinkets - and had a great time bargaining for them. Luckily I was accompanied by a Kenyan and a Nigerian who handled that part of the experience.

I'd go back to the Maasai Market but the Village Market shopping area is not a place I'd go again otherwise.

Johannesburg, South Africa
25 attraction reviews
“Great Place To Go On Sundays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I regularly (over 30 times) went to Kenya on business in ' 10 ' 11 and '12, sometimes for a few weeks at a time. As I was there for work I didn't really get out into the country much and after a while Nairobi can become quite boring, like any other city.

I really enjoyed calling my taxi buddy James, on Sundays who would take me (and sometimes a work colleague) to Village Market which is situated in the upmarket suburb of Gigiri on the outskirts of Nairobi city.

I enjoyed the shopping on offer and did some great deals on some classy shirts I found at one shop. What you need to remember when in Nairobi is that while everything has a price, everything is negotiable and the shopkeepers are generally ready to to do a deal, if asked, especially if you offer to buy 2 of something instead of just one.

I liked the open air food court and in particular the curries you can get there. Nairobi must have the best weather in the world when its not the rainy season. It should be hot but because you are on a plateau its just beautiful. As I write this I can almost feel that gentle breeze that permanently wafts across Nairobi....

There was always live music playing when I went to Village Market (so its busy) and without exception I always ended up meeting new people (not prostitutes or the like) who simply walk up and ask if they can share the table which is completely unusual for someone to do down here in in South Africa. Then we would spend the afternoon quaffing beers, munching on snacks, listening to the music and having a great time.

The UN has a huge facility in the area so you can expect to see people from all over the world too. I guess they were like me, bored with the city and looking for something to do on Sunday.

Yep. Had many a great afternoon at Village Market. Thankfully James was there at the end of the day.....you don't want to go driving around Nairobi after a fun afternoon in the sun!!

Visited October 2012