“Nice Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I am often there. I get what I want. Thete are several ATM, Food Lounge, Cafés, Chandarama Supermarket, Fruit and Vegetable Corner, Woolworth and so many shop's more. The Prices are up, but it is cheaper than Nakumatt Junction. Security changed. Now it looks like at the Airport. But not everyone is wollong to follow up the security guards and I don't like, that I have to bring my wallet and other worthy things into a box where everyone can take it. More security would be great.

Nairobi
“Good shops and restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Despite being possibly one of the ugliest buildings in Nairobi, no thanks to the hilariously incomplete second tower. This is a must for a couple of shops: Yaya has the best butcher in Nairobi, the best bookshop bar none, probably in Africa (Bookstop), the excellent Alexandre bakery and the Healthy U store. As for food, Alexandre is good, as is the Indian restaurant at the Food Court (regularly purchase take-away) and Sierra is not bad. Only complaints are the oppressing awfulness of the building and the overpriced toy store....

Visited February 2014
Nairobi
“Over New Year's YaYa Centre Turned Into a Prison”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have lived in Kenya since 2011 and used to live across the street from YaYa Centre. It is a lovely little vertical mall with several shops, restaurants, book shops and ATM machine that I use regularly.

Today I was quite chagrined to find that YaYa installed metal detectors as the doors over New Years, and the guards now insist that you empty your pockets and let them stick their hands inside your backpack or purse in order to enter. They force you to put your cell phone, wallet keys and money in the plastic tray and walk through the metal detector, where you cannot watch your belongings. Other customers are milling about and it creates an ideal situation to have one's phone or wallet get lifted by a guard or a bystander.

When it was my turn, the guard asked to open my backpack, and I told him he was welcome to feel it from the outside, but not to open it. This made him angry and he insisted that it be opened. I told him no and was refused entry.

No bank that I have ever been to subjected its customers to such indignities. I don't see why entering a shopping mall should be like entering a prison. Metal detectors certainly don't make anyone safer as the Westgate tragedy proved.

While all customers desire to have a safe shopping experience, having the guards open your bags and look into them is a violation of my personal security, and an invitation for theft by the guard or a bystander.

Rather than have my bags and person rifled through, I would prefer to shop at Prestige or Junction and I recommend others do the same. YaYa Centre's security screen is offensive. No other mall in Nairobi subjects its customers to such indignity.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
YayaCentre_Nairobi, Manager at Yaya Centre, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your valued feedback. We are constantly looking at new ways to improve our services and safety to enhance the shopping experience at Yaya Centre. Please do not hesitate to come and see us.
Nairobi, Kenya
“Saffron Restaurant, Yaya Food Court”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

On 3rd January 2014 my wife and I went for lunch at the Food Court and we decided to have Indian food at Saffron Restaurant, it was the most terrible dining experience I've ever had!! The waiter was shabbily dressed, we couldn't help but notice how filthy his shoes were plus he reeked of alcohol! The food took half an hour to come and it was cold when it arrived; it was bland and tasteless - it was obviously not freshly cooked! It was obviously one of those supermarket curries. It was a lousy lousy experience and I will definitely NEVER be going back there any time soon. I'd caution anyone planning to go there to give it a wide berth!

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Bangkok Chinese Restaurant at the Yaya Centre Food Loft”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The food is generally very good there. I have eaten there severally but the last time I did it was a take away and had asked for it to be made medium spicy and when I got home was disappointed to find they had not put any spice at all. Otherwise they are generally good although expensive in my opinion.

• Visited December 2013