“Good to Very Good - Depends on what you order” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria

Trattoria
cnr Wabera & Kaunda Sts, city centre, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #44 of 300 restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Nairobi Central Business District
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good to Very Good - Depends on what you order”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have eaten here a twice and once it was very good (seafood ravioli) the next time (Chicken w/mushrooms/artichoke hearts - photo) it was good but not something I would order again. That said, I have to remind myself that I am in Kenya, Africa eating Italian food – this isn’t Rome. The Trattoria has character, the service is attentive, a good choice of wines (photo) and the prices are fair for Nairobi (the prices here is half the price of the Thorn Tree-Stanley Hotel - a block away and better food). Insiders tip... get any pasta and seafood combo. I will go back. 4 stars

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
Nairobi, Kenya
“Best Italian restaurant in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

In my opinion, this is the best Italian restaurant in town.
Yes, there are plenty of other Italian restaurants in more upscale locations with plenty of parking space etc. But this is the real thing! Every time I come here, I'm never disappointed - this is as authentic as it gets.
From their mid-morning chicken pies & cappuccinos, to their gnocchis & pastas and not forgetting their superb desserts, it's hard to beat Trattoria - especially after just coming back from Italy recently. Their home-made bread is really good and their homemade chilli chutneys are to die for! Service is impeccable. And the best part about Trattoria is consistency in every manner, which other Italian restaurants are lacking.
Sitting upstairs outside on the terrace gives you a good view of the city's central business district, which is good for those who like to people watch and be part of the city, without actually worrying about petty crime etc.
Will keep going back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good food, good atmosphere, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I chose to eat here instead of at the hotel, due to the look and the reviews. We sat upstairs on the balcony. Service was friendly and efficient. The house wine ( carafe was fine and fairly priced). We shared a pizza bread starter and both had pasta dishes. My wife's pasta was initially a little too spicy ( chilly) but it was quickly whisked away and returned completely redone ( toned down) with a smile and an apology. The dishes are quite large and tasty, I was unable to finish mine. We relaxed afterwards of the outside couch with some more drinks. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Average meal, nice to sit out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This Italian restaurant is placed in the very central part of the town. We were sitting outside and loved the scene, it is the part called Luna Lounge and it is the balcony. The service was a bit slow and the food was acceptable, but nothing special. However, they had the asparagus, which was missing in some other Nairobi restaurants.Salad bar available. The prices are a bit high and we ended up with the bill with some items we did not order, but it was corrected in the end... Since this was just a lunch, we did not experience music. Toilets decent. The place is spacious, the stairs leading to the upper floor are a bit steep. http://www.trattoria.online.co.ke/

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas, United States
“You can't survive on your reputation if you can't cook a pizza...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I've been here many times before, always for lunch and always had good (if a little over-priced) food. Maybe it was the influence of the Italian owner who strolls along the tables that was missing tonight.

The atmosphere was tranquil and the 1st floor balcony I'd always a nice lift from the haraka of Nairobi. This place had been around for a long time and probably won't go away soon, BUT the reviews are clear... This place one WAS great, but now is just over priced.

My order was simple. Just a pizza of the menu and a request for some hot oil our diced hot peppers and a beer. The beer was cold, which was good. The test was bad. The dough to the pizza was very obviously not cooked. Chewy in the way that bubble gum is chewy. I informed the waiter at the same time I reminded him to bring the hot oil. He apologized for the uncooked pizza but still forgot the hot oil. I was also charged full, bloated price.

I don't need to come back , there are plenty of new more interesting pizza places in Nairobi. Perhaps the pastas are better, but if you can't do pizza, what can you do?

• Visited August 2013