“Always busy and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 343 Restaurants in Nairobi
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Nairobi, Kenya
“Always busy and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I don't think I have ever been to Furusato when it hasn't been busy - even on a Monday night. The food is good and reasonably priced. There is teppanyaki, sushi, and a variety of noodle dishes. Also Korean dishes that are very yummy. A very reliable choice.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nairobi, Kenya
“Lively atmosphere, decent Korean/Japanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The food here is pretty good though you can get better Korean food elsewhere. The sushi here is among the best in Nairobi and the place is fun and lively on the weekends. I believe it's the only restaurant in Nairobi that has a teppan grill.

nairobi
“Great food,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Visited this restaurant twice for lunch.
First visit had tepenyaki.my friend and I had a very lively and helpful chef who made sure we were comfortable. The combination of chicken, seafood and beef was excellent. The vegetables were made almost to perfection. During this lunch date the waiter was also very nice.
A few weeks ago paid a 2nd visit, arrived a bit early for Sunday opening, we were not received so we made our way to the outside seating area where we were promptly told to move inside. We sat waiting, hoping to be noticed as the staff continued to clean. We sat patiently for almost quarter of an hour-yup, we were REALLY patient. Let's just y the only saving grace on this Sunday afternoon was the food. The sushi was tops, and chicken ordered al a carte was good too.
They may have to work on making sure ALL their staff are aware of how to treat a customer no matter what race, color, gender they are.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kampala, Uganda
“Fura Sato Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

by Sam: 7th Grade

Fura Sato is a strongly beloved Japanese restaurant that will render diners surprised. The sushi served makes mouths water. My advice to anyone that hasn’t gone yet: go ASAP. That is of course, if you like fine food.

I listened to my friends discuss as they ate the tempura prawns. These are two lines I picked up during their conversation: “Mmm, this is the best food I’ve ever had” and “this must be the food they serve in heaven”. I heard these lines repeatedly again, and again throughout the course of the meal. If you want to eat the food described in those two meaningful lines, I suggest you go to Fura Sato.

The menu was very colorful and the moment I saw it, it drew me in. In addition to the menu being very attractive it had various options. I noticed that there were chicken wings on the menu. You may think of this as them not being very devoted to the theme of Japanese food. This was my original thinking. I was wondering just why they would put the chicken wings on a Japanese restaurant menu. I could think of 2 different explanations that both pleased me. One of my theories was that it was part of the Korean Barbeque theme that was also present at Fura Sato. The other was that it was simply a different option, catering to those who weren’t really in the mood for Japanese food.

At Fura Sato I sat down and instantly had a nice view of the garden in which were neatly trimmed bushes and wooden tables sheltered by vast umbrellas. I also noticed that there was a smooth wooden bench outside under a large tree. Altogether it was a very peaceful scene which was nice because it helped better the ambience and made me realize that it’s not just the cuisine that it excelled at.
After eating my simple starting salad I ordered sashimi, chicken teriyaki and two orders of sushi to share with a couple friends. The food took around 45 minutes but it was definitely worth it. The presentation was astonishing. The sushi and sashimi were served on a wooden boat holding copious amounts of food. My advice: share. It’s a lot to take in and a judicious approach is to share, take what you want and if you’re hungry just order more.

But it wasn’t just the food I ordered that was thoroughly enjoyed. I looked around and witnessed a sight that led me to believe that whatever you order at Fura Sato, it’s always reputable. And it wasn’t just the food that excelled at Fura Sato. It had almost everything you would and should look for in a pleasant restaurant.

The ambience I felt was appropriate. There were Japanese drawings hung near the tables for the diners to witness. On my part some Japanese music would have been appreciated although the absence of music left a void for conversation. I have been to many restaurants, few of which were Japanese, but as soon as I walked in I knew it was a Japanese restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kigali Rwanda
“The very best sushi in the region”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've now eaten here a few times in the past couple of months and have found the quality to be the best I've had in Africa. The butter fish and salmon are exceptional; tuna with avocado salad extraordinary, and service is first rate. There's a hibachi area as well that I haven't tried yet.

• Visited February 2013