“Great service, great food, bit overpriced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarind Restaurant

Tamarind Restaurant
Karen Blixen Coffee Garden | Karen, Nairobi 00200, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)
+254 719 346349
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 315 restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Upper Hill Estate
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great service, great food, bit overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had dinner here with a colleague recently, the restaurant is a little outdated in terms of decor, the service is excellent. I was slightly disappointed, the menu we were given had specials and I was delighted to see my favorite, pork belly, however after placing the order the waiter returned to say sorry, they specials from the previous day (both mine and my colleagues menu was incorrect and the waiter obviously had not been briefed on the specials as he should have known) anyway we both changed our order and were happy with the food that was delivered to our table. I believe the food is overpriced here.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Accra, Ghana
“all very good, but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited the Tamarind in Nairobi for a business dinner as a group of ten. We had a private room upstairs. Excellent greeting and drinks service, followed by a good meal with wine and attentive waiters throughout.

On the downside, the place seems tired and could do with freshening up. And it is overpriced.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Accra
“A gem in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This restaurant is a place to visit for seafood. The team there is so on point, we had a reservation and was shown immediately to our seats. I had the sea food platter and it's was awesome. My biggest surprise was when they brought us plates with our names and a short admonition I absolutely loved it. Would recommend to any see food lover

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Excellent fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

A lovely restaurant with an extensive fish menu. I went as part of a large group and the service was really efficient. Food was delicious, I had a mixed fish dish and crab cakes, both presented really well.

Visited May 2013
Copenhagen
“Very exclusive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The restaurant is like a pearl. In the noise center of Downtown Nairobi. Just off Moi Avenue indside National Bank Building. When you are here you will not here a sound and forget completely where you are. The service is excellent - this is when the humbleness og African culture touch the stars. By the edn of dinner you will get a surprise - my mouth is sealed.

• Visited February 2013