“A gem in the heart of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarind Restaurant

Tamarind Restaurant
Karen Blixen Coffee Garden | Karen, Nairobi 00200, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)
+254 719 346349
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 320 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Upper Hill Estate
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Accra
“A gem in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This restaurant is a place to visit for seafood. The team there is so on point, we had a reservation and was shown immediately to our seats. I had the sea food platter and it's was awesome. My biggest surprise was when they brought us plates with our names and a short admonition I absolutely loved it. Would recommend to any see food lover

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London
“Excellent fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

A lovely restaurant with an extensive fish menu. I went as part of a large group and the service was really efficient. Food was delicious, I had a mixed fish dish and crab cakes, both presented really well.

Visited May 2013
Copenhagen
“Very exclusive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The restaurant is like a pearl. In the noise center of Downtown Nairobi. Just off Moi Avenue indside National Bank Building. When you are here you will not here a sound and forget completely where you are. The service is excellent - this is when the humbleness og African culture touch the stars. By the edn of dinner you will get a surprise - my mouth is sealed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I owe this place a long-overdue apology.

We came here back in 2010 and the food and service were some of the best I've ever enjoyed. (And to give you some background, I'm a serious foodie from New Orleans who lives in LA and have been to some pretty terrific restaurants in both of those places, as well as Paris, New York and London.) The service here was so kind and impeccable: they even wrote our names in chocolate on our dessert plates!

Unfortunately, one of our party of three (who was from a country I won't name, where the tipping situation is apparently different) only left 5% tip on her check. Agh! When we found out afterward, and explained it to her, we all felt terrible. (Although two of us left 20% on our checks.)

Anyway, it was a great experience and probably this sort of thing happens all of the time, traditions being so different between countries, but I'm glad TripAdvisor is here so I can apologize, regardless.

Thanks for a wonderful night we'll never forget!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Outdated & Overated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited the restaurant at the weekend, and were surprised by the lack of custom, most of the tables were empty. We only visited this restaurant, as the Talisman was full (Why is this not on the list?)
The location is poor, it requires a complete refurbishment (appears nothing has changed in 38 years), service is good, if a little over attentive. The food was ok, nothing to shout about.
I would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion (formal setting) or an intimate meeting, although the waiters will be asking you how's food or changing plates every minute.
A particular disappointing aspect was the waiter pushing for a tip on presenting the bill. I was going to give a good tip, until he became pushy.
Seven Seas is by far a better restaurant for fish. The Octopus and seafood platter are clearly better than the Tamarind offering.

• Visited April 2013