“Best food in Nairobi!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarind Restaurant

Tamarind Restaurant
Karen Blixen Coffee Garden | Karen, Nairobi 00200, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)
+254 719 346349
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 343 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Upper Hill Estate
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Riga, Latvia
“Best food in Nairobi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you are looking for really high end restaurant, this is your only choice in Nairobi. It's located in central bank building, so it's completly safe. The food is amazing. Don't miss a chance to taste lobster - that's amazing. The wine selection is nice. Staff is friendly and will tell you a lot about history of restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
labinaNairobi, Director of Sales at Tamarind Restaurant, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your great review on Tamarind Nairobi. We are happy you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Brewer, Maine
“Excellent service, Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went to this wonderful restaurant as recommended by Nairobi Excursions before our departing flight late in the evening. Everything we had was exceptional. The fish was all prepared perfectly, the flavors were delicious and the personalized and customized dessert was to die for! I fully recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting fresh delicious seafood!

• Visited February 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
“Worth it for the Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The best Seafood in Nairobi, hand down. Go for the crab claws, oysters mambrui, lobster thermidor, ginger crab, peri-peri prawns or Swahili fish - actually...it's all good! Good spot for a quiet, romantic dinner but take your own crowd for more fun!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, California
“Best meal in Nairobi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went to Tamarind for dinner last night with a group of six. I had been wanting to go again ever since my first visit in 2007. I started off with the famous fish soup and it lived up to the hype - especially with the full "shell" of sauce mixed in! Service was impeccable and I also liked the bite I tried of my friend's calamari.

The restaurant was able to accommodate my request for chapatti instead of rice with the seared tuna I ordered... yum yum yum! The yellow sauce the tuna comes with is amazing and the tuna itself was beautifully seared and arranged.

I also love the whole wheat buns! Yummy and slightly sweet.

My favorite touch of all is the beautiful plates that come with dessert - even to those who didn't order any! - with delicious sweet bites and hand-written special quotes. I remember these plates from my first visit five years ago and think they are the most romantic and wonderful thing a restaurant can do... a true testament to what a wonderful restaurant Tamarind is!

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Impressive gem for seafood and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A welcome surprise in the middle of Nairobi. The service was fantastic and friendly. The food is wonderful and fresh but very expensive - I would recommend this for a special occasion or a business dinner with generous expense account.

My octopus and mushroom appetizer was mediocre and too tough (I have enjoyed this dish in Spain and France so I know it can be done very well and was excited to see it on the menu). My main course, Prawns Piripiri was very impressive and incredibly tasty - I could not get enough of the amazing sauce. I would highly recommend this dish. My dessert was fantastic - Chocolate Concorde and I appreciated the creative touch of a unique fortune spelled out on my plate in chocolate with my name included. A nice touch!

John and Amus were our servers and made us feel welcome with our 11 month old baby even though the stuffier maître d' told us babies were not welcome. However, he did say he would seat us since we had already arrived and there was a bus strike on. Strangely enough there were 3 other children in the restaurant already. This is a formal dining experience so I understand but I do honestly have an amazing baby who does not cry and is easy to go out to eat with.

My Fiance loves this place and I was pleased I got to experience it as it is a special place. I wish I could give it a 4 1/2 rating, sometimes a girl just needs to add a half :)

• Visited November 2012