“A respite from busy Nairobi” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Newly Remodeled Rooms
Ranked #13 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Kenya
“A respite from busy Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We recommend the Mennonite Guest House to all of our visitors, both business and personal, who visit Nairobi. The location, in Westlands, makes it a convenient location to getting to other parts of the city. We love dropping in for tea at 10 & 4; the baked goods are great; the staff knowledgeable and kind in helping you navigate the city. There is always an interesting crowd of folks from all over the world to enjoy your visit with. We are local residents of Nairobi & enjoy the peace and quiet of the grounds -- it's also a great place for our kids to have some running around space.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MennoGuest, General Manager at Amani Gardens Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thanks for your nice review. We take pride in being a respite from the busyness of a major city and being a home-away from home... Also thank you for contributing to the crowd of "interesting people" you mention. We are unique here that people from many different nationalities and work sectors can meet each other over coffee or even a meal. Some people have said they have had new opportunities arise for them over an afternoon tea time.

Karibu Sana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I recently coordinated transportation for a conference involving hundreds of delegates from all over the world. All who stayed at the guest house gave glowing reviews. I was especially impressed by MGH's prompt email responses, confirming availability and responding to guest requests.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your very nice review. We are happy your delegates had a pleasant experience with us. Our reception staff are very good at orchestrating many moving parts of comings and goings as well as the needs of guests. Please pass along our appreciations to your delegates and feel free to come by anytime.

Karibu tena... Welcome again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have just completed a 3-month stay at the guest house and was really surprised to see some of the recent reviews regarding safety and problems with their priorities so I felt compelled to share my experience. In my months there, I had the opportunity to get to know many of the staff, including the management, guest services, and security guards. What amazed me was how long most of them had been with MGH, most for many years, and how much they enjoyed and appreciated working there. This was reflected in their warmness and pleasure to go out of their way to make my stay comfortable. I found them all to be well-trained, something I definitely cannot say of the MANY other places I've stayed in Nairobi. I was also present on the night of the "gun fight" and I saw absolutely no signs of anyone inside the compound and the shots I heard seemed to be at a distance (something I'm a bit familiar with having lived nearby during last year's Westgate Mall attack). In the morning, the askaris (guards) confirmed the same.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your nice review and kind words about the professionalism of our staff. Like you mentioned most of the staff has been with us for many years and take pride in going out of their way to assist our guests in any way they can. Please come by again when you need a place to stay. Asante!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stopped here for one night before going to Kijabe for a conference. I was picked up at airport by a taxi arranged by the mennonite house. It cost me 1700 K schilling. I arrived at the guesthouse around 7pm and was shown to my room. The room was clean and simple, but also comfortable. The bathroom was also very clean. The shower and hot water worked very well. The internet worked very well too! I was surprised and happy that I could connect online. The breakfast the next morning was a wonderful experience. It was great to meet new people and hear their stories. The food was also very adequate - also British - like beans on toast. I highly recommend the Mennonite Guesthouse to you. Oh!! One more thing - it was SO quiet there! And the grounds were beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your nice review. We love to be that stopping off rest point in Nairobi for people coming and going from from their work. We are working hard to serve our guests whether they are here serving the people of Kenya or on holiday. Please visit us again when you are in Nairobi.

Karibu sana
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I've spent time at the MGH on numerous occasions. It's really a perfect place to stay. The garden is unbelievably relaxing and peaceful - the perfect place to rest or plow through a bunch of email. The rooms vary from new and self contained to older and shared facilities, but are also priced accordingly. There is ongoing improvements in the works (especially to the older rooms and internet) that will only make it a better place to stay.

I saw the note about the gun fight and while I was here for that as well (and it was QUITE nerveracking) its worth noting that it could happen anywhere in Nairobi (not just here) and it was due to the thoughtfulness of the guards reaching out to the police that they were on top of the situation so quickly. Personally I can't hold that against the guesthouse.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks you for being an on-going guest with us. We love serving you and your family. We want to be a place for families and where children are able to run and explore. Kenya is a beautiful place and we are happy to share our little space with you. Please consider us your family when you're around Nairobi.

Karibu Sana!
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Before I explain the title of my review, let me say that I have stayed at the guesthouse several times over the last two years and have always had a pleasant experience. The staff are superb and the grounds are beautiful.

However, on my latest trip, I have had the most disturbing of experiences. Last night, I awoke to what I thought sounded like the popping of gunfire. This morning, I was informed that it was indeed gunfire. Not only that, but the men with the guns had broken in to our compound through a shoddy fence that was suppose to have been reinforced last year.

I think the MGH should take a serious look at its priorities, and I should think that guest safety would be first on the list. Rather, I have witnessed the repainting of lines on the tennis court and the hiring of an interior decorator as being higher priority than my safety.

In the future, I would highly recommend walking the perimeter to make sure that the grounds are secure before paying the recently raised rates for your stay.

I value my life more than the art on my walls, so I think I will take my business elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MennoGuest, Manager at Amani Gardens Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and your review. We are happy that you have stayed with us several times in the last couple years.

There was certainly not a gun fight at the guest house. The shots you heard were by the police on a nearby street. The guest house was never in danger. We take our security very seriously. We have several circulating guards and never was there an intruder inside our grounds. We work closely with the police who were also present at the time. With respect, your comments about the fence are not accurate. We do not have a shoddy fence anywhere on the grounds. We have invested heavily to make our perimeter secure. We have many layers of security and several different forces who keep watch over our grounds. We understand that hearing this commotion nearby could be alarming but rest assured that we are very safe.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

As a long time guest of the guest house, I am saddened to see the management going awry. Instead of investing in the wonderful local staff, the prices have been raised to support unnecessary investment in bizarre ways for the facility. The location is still beautiful, but as a foreigner myself, I would like to see the locals supported rather than thoughtless use of funds. The increase in price is not commensurate to the quality of accommodation nor is it helpful to missionaries living on a budget to afford staying in a quiet and friendly location. There are other lovely places in the area that are still missionary friendly in price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MennoGuest, Guest Relations Manager at Amani Gardens Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for your review as well as being a long-time guest. We would like to assure you that we invest heavily in our staff. They are paid better rates that you would find at other establishments like ours in Kenya. This past year the staff was also given year-end bonuses and loan forgiveness as well as other benefits. As for the rate increase, we only slightly increased rates for missionaries and residents at the official Kenyan Cost of Living rate. This was only a $2-4 increase in most cases. We are currently remodeling some of the guest rooms as to improve their quality. We are a place for budget-friendly travelers.

Been to Amani Gardens Inn? Share your experiences!