“Peaceful retreat in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

Amani Gardens Inn
71 Church Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya (Formerly Mennonite Guesthouse)   |
Ranked #12 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Peaceful retreat in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Very comfortable, clean, pleasant place to stay. We were with kids and had the family room which had one queen bed and 4 bunk beds along with its own bathroom and toilet in the room. There are great grounds to relax in and the kids have a place to play. The food is wonderful too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The mennonite Guesthouse is affordable and safe. The staff is extremely friendly, reliable, and helpful, and the rooms are super cute and clean. I full-heartedly suggest this place and will come here everytime I am in Nairobi!!!! It has everything you could want for a good price!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Mennonite Guest House truly is one of the most relaxing locations you will find in Nairobi. The Guest House has a very unique feel to it. It is secluded, beautifully landscaped, and is managed by a very friendly staff. I have had the privilege of staying at the guest house multiple times and in all my travels across Kenya, returning to the Mennoite Guest house is always a good time to "refuel" before heading off again". One very interesting thing I can observe through my multiple visits is that there is progress in this place. Most Kenyan hotels are only getting worse over time as different features break down and the management, for who knows what reason, does not invest in fixing the issue. And as most hotels follow this trend the Guest House shows progress. In my first visit in March meals were being served under a tent. When I returned in May guest were now enjoying their meals in a beautifully constructed dinning hall. Another note on the meals. They are excellent every time. All you can eat American style dishes and tea and coffee served twice a day between meals. Highly recommended. You'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I travel alone to Kenya every year or so to do work and research and see friends. I was pointed towards staying at the Mennonite Guest House for the first time summer, 2010. I was absolutely taken with the place! It creates a sense of community and offers wonderful opportunities for meeting people. The grounds are stunning and offer a respite and place of peace amid the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. The staff members are friendly and do excellent work! When I have made special requests, they have worked to accomodate me. I stayed over three weeks last year and around the same length of time this year and feel very at home. The food is great, and there is a community fridge, where I stored some food and made my own meals at times since I am a vegetarian. There is tea time twice daily that is a nice rhythm to the day. The business center and desks in the rooms and free wi-fi make getting work done here efficient and peaceful and productive. And the guest house works with a cab company, Just Connections, and has their rates posted and offers their phone numbers - so you have set rates and easy access to this transportation if you need it. And it is an easy way (1.5-2 kilometers) to Sarit Center and Westgate Mall; an a matatu is around 10 to 15 Ksh to Sarit or 20 Ksh to town and are easily accessible with about a 4 minute walk from the guest house. I will always stay here when the opportunity presents itself! book in advance as much as possible because everyone I meet who has stayed here looks to come back when they are in Nairobi.

Room Tip: If you are alone, specify lowest rate
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

During peak traffic hours (6am-10am) in the morning the drive from Jomo NBO airport can be slow, but once you arrive at the Church Road estate, you instantly feel gratified with your decision. I am writing this review right now on one of their lobby computers, so it is alright that I am traveling without a laptop.

My bedroom was very clean, dormitory style with a window looking into a wonderful garden courtyard. After a shower in the community bathroom I will be snapping some pictures of the place, it is truly beautiful. The meals and service are very nice, and the complimentary bottled water is perfect for tourists and backpackers.

As I have not explored the surrounding areas yet, I cannot comment on it being a good location for visiting the sights of Nairobi, however I do know we passed the metropolitan area on the way to Mennonite from the Airport. I am just transiting to Tanzania after tonight.

I am here alone, but the place would be a nice romantic spot for any couple. I miss my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Email in advance to book your reservation!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The Mennonite Guest House is an incredibly restful, lovely place! The gardens are immaculate, and the service is terrific. It's located in Westlands right off Waiyaki Way, so it's easy to get downtown and to other parts of the city. The rooms are clean and affordable. You've got your choice of self contained rooms (private bath) or non-self contained (shared bath).

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in new wing have great views!
Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
USA UK KENYA UGANDA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

The service is outstanding, the grounds are incredibly beautiful, the staff are engaging and friendly. I actually love MGH so much that I hesitate to recommend it because I fear it will become overcrowded!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Amani Gardens Inn? Share your experiences!