“A Last Resort Unless Maybe..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfield Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mayfield Guest House
You added Mayfield Guest House to your Saves list
Ngong Road, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #33 of 182 Nairobi B&B and Inns
SD
“A Last Resort Unless Maybe..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place usually has room if you need something last minute so it's good for a pinch. Or if your in town just to recuperate or rest up it's not too bad. Some of the rooms are decent -some are cold, sparse, and noisy. None of the rooms have toilets/showers, all are shared affairs out in the halls somewhere. Although there are lots of them and the showers have good pressure and plenty of hot water.
So why the poor review? Last time we stayed we reserved for 5 people. We arrived late and found we had 4 twin beds and yuck rooms. We made do. It was last minute after all. Since we arrived late we missed the 7:30 breakfast, but there was toast and tea out which was nice I suppose. The problem came when I went to pay. This manager? insisted we pay full board rate for 5 people (we are a couple with 3 children 9-13) even though we only had two twin rooms and took none of the meals. While we were going over this someone else came to the desk and got rudely chewed out for keeping a room past 9:00am check out time (this couldn't have been past 9:30). Apparently they only offer full board rate which is pretty expensive if you don't take advantage of it. And who comes to Nairobi to sit at the hotel all day..?
I have came there for a meeting before where we did stay for the meals and they were good and the staff was nice - no problem there.
Bottom line - ok in the right circumstances but not as nice and more expensive than other guesthouses in town - there's a reason it's the last to fill up.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I traveled into Nairobi with my wife for a 'quick' hospital visit, or so we thought. We ended up having to ring the Mayfield to ask for a room and then again the next day. On both occasions they were fantastically accommodating and provided us with a room. The hotel is a charming and peaceful place to stay, even as it is, close to the city, you feel incredibly safe and in a relaxing environment. The food is adequate, as are all of the amenities provided, The wi-fi is quick, reliable and free. The strongest point of the Mayfield has to be it's staff they are helpful and friendly no matter what the time of day or night. The rooms are as other reviewers have said, basic but comfortable. They are large enough, clean and well maintained, if you are looking for a fully equipped experience with cable channels, a/c etc, then possibly the Mayfield isn't for you. I have already booked for our next Nairobi trip, this time planned and with our two teenage children.

Room Tip: Room 5 is a family room, with a double and two bunks and at the quiet end of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kisumu, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have stayed at Mayfield in the past and have listed a review on trip advisor in the past. My last stay was not as great as stays in the past. They must have been having some sort of family retreat while I was there as kids were running up and down the halls and all over the grounds yelling and shouting. It was noisy. I love kids but also love it when their parents encourage them to be considerate of others.

I think Mayfield is a good affordable spot for a night on the way in and way out but if you are looking for a peaceful break.... you might want to ask about what they have going on at the guest house first.

Also, at breakfast the staff would tell me where to sit and what to eat. It was strange. One morning when I got up to leave the table, one of the staff members told me to finish my food before I left. I think he thought he was being funny but it wasn't really funny.

Room Tip: rooms in the building at the back might be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Mayfield is a wonderful, peaceful and cozy place, where you will love to rest after a long day. Every one there is such a delight and helpful.

The rooms are simple but very clean and the beds quite comfortable. The internet connection works very well and is quite fast. The food is always really good too. There are plenty of places to eat out. There is quite a good Ethiopian restaurant not far from there called "BLue Nile" and it was absolutely delicious. I hope it's still there.

If you need any advice, just ask the person at the front desk and you will get everything you need.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at Mayfield for several nights in July. For a competitive price they will pick you up or drop you off at either airport in Nairobi. They also have vehicles that you can rent at a competitive rate if you need to run errands and are legally and comfortably able to drive in the city. The playground area was critical with a small kid along on the trip. And the wall, guard, and bars on the windows made us feel very safe. Family style meals are a great way to meet other mission minded folks doing great work in the region.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at Mayfield on my way to and from a mission trip to Nakuru, Kenya. The rooms were comfortable with nice pillows and mattresses and windows that opened to cooling breezes. It was refreshing to have a wonderful warm shower and soft, sweet smelling towels. Meals are family style and scheduled so you have a chance to sit down with others - often missionaries going to and from their fields - and have great conversations and fellowship. On our way back to the States, we used Mayfield as a resting spot before heading to the airport. We did not stay overnight but had rooms for changing clothes and a bathroom or two to freshen up. Mayfield has a lovely garden area with a quiet place to sit and read or chat with friends. And it has WiFi so you can catch up with friends and family back home. The staff are really lovely too!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tarime, Mara, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at Mayfield a few times, and have always been happy. I am a missionary working in Tanzania, so it is always a treat to come up to Nairobi and network with other missionaries. Oh and the hot showers are something I enjoy. The staff is very accomodating, the family style meals are great and the food is good. I stayed once for two weeks, along with a teenager who needed surgery. The staff made sure we were on time to doctor appointments and they made sure she had meals she could eat after surgery. I go up sometimes to pick up new teams and volunteers, and would never take them anywhere else. It is about 5 minutes from a couple of shopping malls, and pretty close to the bus stand. I love staying at Mayfield.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo