“not for an overnight” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #12 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Fareham, United Kingdom
“not for an overnight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Our tour operator booked us in here for an overnight transit stay and we can't understand why? It took two hours to get there due to the traffic. The tour operator must have been aware of that because Nairobi traffic is notorious. After 9 hours travelling another two was ridiculous for an overnight with a very early flight the next morning. Left at 6:30am and that only took 45 minutes by beating the rush hour.
We didn't use much of the facilities in the hotel but can recommend the pizza bar in the village mall.
The rooms were good with large beds and tea making facilities. However, no milk for tea and when we asked for some from room service we were charged £1.50. Never before in 30 years travelling have we been charged for milk!
The breakfast was excellent (though we were rushing to make our connection).
Definitely a hotel catering for business people on expenses.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Tribe is the perfect blend of local and modern, boutique and authentic, luxury and laid back. The service is outstanding. The food and cocktails are perfection. The decor is drop-dead. Whether you're at the pool, the bar, the gym, or in your room, there is no forgetting you're in Africa, surrounded by the classiest statutes and carvings, a tribal edge with all the amenities. There is great shopping a few safe steps from the hotel and a concierge service happy to help you arrange anything from a day excursion to the rift valley to a 10 day safari on the Mara. With Tribe is the perfect place to rest your head in between. I wasn't there for business, but a perfect place to stay for business travelers who are looking for NY or London connection capabilities right in the heart of east Africa. Don''t miss it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Crowthorne, Berks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Service very poor and slow, food atrocious , so bad we did not have to pay, could not use pool or sit by pool due to as external event.Second stay, no hot water ( not told on arrival), room not clean and bedding smelt of perfume ( had to change rooms at 11.00pm), ask for light meal and was told to go across road to shopping mall etc etc.
Also too far fromm airport , 1.5-2.0 hours in rush our.
Only good part, we got full refund for second night with no arguement.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was my first time at Tribe Hotel. The hotel looks fabulous and has all the comforts one needs to feel at home. The porters at the entrance were very friendly and helpful all the time. The outside pool area looks amazing. The room is very cozy and has a very warm feel to it. The bed was extremely comfortable. The television channels need to be tuned in better, they are not tuned in back to back and you need to scroll through many channels to actually find one that works. Penina at the front desk is very sweet and helpful, she however made a mistake with payment on check in, we paid $360, she posted it as $340, we then paid an extra $20 as the total for accommodation was $380, she then posted the $20 and had to repost the first mistaken amount as well. These kind of mistakes can be avoided. Penina apologized for the mistake and all was okay. We also had a driver that was supposed to collect us on the morning of check out and take us to the airport, the driver hadn't showed up and Penina was so kind as to call around any try to get hold of the driver or the specific taxi company. The hotel is perfectly situated at the village market, and all I had to do was walk across the road to get some shopping done. Housekeeping staff was very speedy and efficient when I needed something pressed. Overall, I had a great stay and will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at the Tribe Hotel for two weeks in October 2010. I was visiting Kenya for business, and after long work days, the Tribe was a wonderful environment to come back to.

The minimalist and trendy decor, warmed up with African art, friendly and always smiling staff, heavenly comfortable rooms/beds, free internet access, good food and a beautiful pool area, were all key factors in making my stay a memorable one. Also, the Village Market, a posh and secure shopping mall, which is located only a few steps away from the hotel, made for very efficient last minute shopping before I headed back home to Canada.

This hotel is not located in the downtown area, but this was not a key point for me, as I was driving to various remote areas almost everyday.

In a nutshell, I would strongly advise you consider this hotel, should you want a peaceful and comfortable stay if you ever visit Nairobi!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

"They make you feel like royalty" my 9 year old daughter summed it up perfectly.
This small hotel is located outside the city of Nairobi. The hotel is gated & has security guards. The staff is amazing. The decor is beautiful. The hotel is designed with every comfort in mind.
We had a small suite, which included a king bed, a large shower & bathroom, a sitting area, a large screen tv, and a desk. We also had a small fridge, and they supplied bottled water. The only negative comment is the shower floor was super slippery, they need to fix that.
The hotel has a restaurant that serves very good food, very reasonable prices, excellent service. The menu is limited, but everything is good. The ambiance is amazing. You are seated overlooking the fabulous pool area. You can eat lunch outside by the pool if you like. You can also order room service. They have a private dining room within the dining room, super elegant!
The pool area is a series of waterfalls, stepping stones, and swimming area. The only thing negative I can say is that pool was not heated, and the water was freezing. Too bad! The pool area was spectacular in design.
The hotel offers laundry service with a fast return time.
This is the place where no request is too much.
A very short walk from the hotel is a large shopping complex. The shopping is also in a security gated, guarded area. There are souvenier shops & two money exchanges & a food court.
A word about exchanging the US $: Be sure to check the "series" number on all your bills! Nobody wants to accept any bills older than the "2000" series! You will have a hard time exchanging them. Be sure your bills are "2000" series!
On Fridays there is a Masi Market at the shopping complex. The sellers are VERY aggressive, so if this will bother you, don't go. The prices were very high, you have to bargain hard!
Our stay at the Tribe Hotel was truly amazing. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed at Tribe for three separate nights in late Sept/early Oct, on my way in and out of the Masi Mara and my experiences were mixed.
There is no doubt that this is trying to be an extremely stylish hotel and something different for Nairobi. Having stayed at sister hotel Melrose Arch in Jo'burg I was excited to be staying here and had high hopes. The design, on the surface, is pretty similar but it is just not *quite* as slick.
High points were the pool and the general entrance lobby and the manager introducing himself to me on my first visit. Food in the restaurant was also very good and they had decent wine by the glass.
Reception however seemed pretty stressed and chaotic whenever I arrived or left, which could just be a symptom of new staff in a new hotel. On my third visit they didn't remember me at all which is a shame as it is that kind of touch that makes a hotel stand out. Then, despite my booking clearly stating I required a twin room I was quizzed about whether that really meant two beds as my room had been set up as a double. After a wait of half an hour while they sorted it out (with a free glass of wine which was nice) we arrived in our room and discovered that the air con had packed up and there was an unsightly, noisy portable unit in there. When I complained I had to wait again and eventually was upgraded to a business suite. This was appreciated but I actually thought, particularly for a new hotel, that the room was pretty scruffy with scratched woodwork and also a view of the building work still going on outside. I heard two other guests also complaining about their rooms not being ready or simply not good enough. We were also affected by a Microsoft conference going on which meant there were no outside tables available for lunch.
The concierge service was also patchy, with emails not necessarily being followed up, although the lady was very sweet and helpful when I went to the desk to find out what was going on.
An important thing to be aware of is how far the hotel (particularly with Nairobi traffic) is from the airport. I was advised by reception to allow three hours to get there in the rush hour and while in fact it took an hour and a half, I wouldn't stay there again if I had an early morning flight.
I want to like and recommend Tribe and I hope that the teething problems will be sorted out. I do think however that for the international prices they are charging that the hotel is not yet living up to its international aspirations which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!