“Beautiful hotel, needs to up their service standards.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #12 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Beautiful hotel, needs to up their service standards.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was my first time at Tribe Hotel. The hotel looks fabulous and has all the comforts one needs to feel at home. The porters at the entrance were very friendly and helpful all the time. The outside pool area looks amazing. The room is very cozy and has a very warm feel to it. The bed was extremely comfortable. The television channels need to be tuned in better, they are not tuned in back to back and you need to scroll through many channels to actually find one that works. Penina at the front desk is very sweet and helpful, she however made a mistake with payment on check in, we paid $360, she posted it as $340, we then paid an extra $20 as the total for accommodation was $380, she then posted the $20 and had to repost the first mistaken amount as well. These kind of mistakes can be avoided. Penina apologized for the mistake and all was okay. We also had a driver that was supposed to collect us on the morning of check out and take us to the airport, the driver hadn't showed up and Penina was so kind as to call around any try to get hold of the driver or the specific taxi company. The hotel is perfectly situated at the village market, and all I had to do was walk across the road to get some shopping done. Housekeeping staff was very speedy and efficient when I needed something pressed. Overall, I had a great stay and will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at the Tribe Hotel for two weeks in October 2010. I was visiting Kenya for business, and after long work days, the Tribe was a wonderful environment to come back to.

The minimalist and trendy decor, warmed up with African art, friendly and always smiling staff, heavenly comfortable rooms/beds, free internet access, good food and a beautiful pool area, were all key factors in making my stay a memorable one. Also, the Village Market, a posh and secure shopping mall, which is located only a few steps away from the hotel, made for very efficient last minute shopping before I headed back home to Canada.

This hotel is not located in the downtown area, but this was not a key point for me, as I was driving to various remote areas almost everyday.

In a nutshell, I would strongly advise you consider this hotel, should you want a peaceful and comfortable stay if you ever visit Nairobi!

Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

"They make you feel like royalty" my 9 year old daughter summed it up perfectly.
This small hotel is located outside the city of Nairobi. The hotel is gated & has security guards. The staff is amazing. The decor is beautiful. The hotel is designed with every comfort in mind.
We had a small suite, which included a king bed, a large shower & bathroom, a sitting area, a large screen tv, and a desk. We also had a small fridge, and they supplied bottled water. The only negative comment is the shower floor was super slippery, they need to fix that.
The hotel has a restaurant that serves very good food, very reasonable prices, excellent service. The menu is limited, but everything is good. The ambiance is amazing. You are seated overlooking the fabulous pool area. You can eat lunch outside by the pool if you like. You can also order room service. They have a private dining room within the dining room, super elegant!
The pool area is a series of waterfalls, stepping stones, and swimming area. The only thing negative I can say is that pool was not heated, and the water was freezing. Too bad! The pool area was spectacular in design.
The hotel offers laundry service with a fast return time.
This is the place where no request is too much.
A very short walk from the hotel is a large shopping complex. The shopping is also in a security gated, guarded area. There are souvenier shops & two money exchanges & a food court.
A word about exchanging the US $: Be sure to check the "series" number on all your bills! Nobody wants to accept any bills older than the "2000" series! You will have a hard time exchanging them. Be sure your bills are "2000" series!
On Fridays there is a Masi Market at the shopping complex. The sellers are VERY aggressive, so if this will bother you, don't go. The prices were very high, you have to bargain hard!
Our stay at the Tribe Hotel was truly amazing. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed at Tribe for three separate nights in late Sept/early Oct, on my way in and out of the Masi Mara and my experiences were mixed.
There is no doubt that this is trying to be an extremely stylish hotel and something different for Nairobi. Having stayed at sister hotel Melrose Arch in Jo'burg I was excited to be staying here and had high hopes. The design, on the surface, is pretty similar but it is just not *quite* as slick.
High points were the pool and the general entrance lobby and the manager introducing himself to me on my first visit. Food in the restaurant was also very good and they had decent wine by the glass.
Reception however seemed pretty stressed and chaotic whenever I arrived or left, which could just be a symptom of new staff in a new hotel. On my third visit they didn't remember me at all which is a shame as it is that kind of touch that makes a hotel stand out. Then, despite my booking clearly stating I required a twin room I was quizzed about whether that really meant two beds as my room had been set up as a double. After a wait of half an hour while they sorted it out (with a free glass of wine which was nice) we arrived in our room and discovered that the air con had packed up and there was an unsightly, noisy portable unit in there. When I complained I had to wait again and eventually was upgraded to a business suite. This was appreciated but I actually thought, particularly for a new hotel, that the room was pretty scruffy with scratched woodwork and also a view of the building work still going on outside. I heard two other guests also complaining about their rooms not being ready or simply not good enough. We were also affected by a Microsoft conference going on which meant there were no outside tables available for lunch.
The concierge service was also patchy, with emails not necessarily being followed up, although the lady was very sweet and helpful when I went to the desk to find out what was going on.
An important thing to be aware of is how far the hotel (particularly with Nairobi traffic) is from the airport. I was advised by reception to allow three hours to get there in the rush hour and while in fact it took an hour and a half, I wouldn't stay there again if I had an early morning flight.
I want to like and recommend Tribe and I hope that the teething problems will be sorted out. I do think however that for the international prices they are charging that the hotel is not yet living up to its international aspirations which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We were lucky enough to have stayed 3 nights at this incredible hotel at the end of our trip to Kenya.
We were overwhelmed by the elegance of the hotel from first glance, (I say overwhelmed as we were arriving from a 9 day safari-smelling like camp fire smoke- dusty clothing and in a serious need of a shave). As we drove to the main entrance, (with many UN vehicles parked about), we were greeted by very tall, elegantly dressed doormen-- (we mistakenly thought they were Kenya secret service, as they were dressed all in black with long jackets and dark sunglasses).
Checked in with no problem and we were whisked to our room- outstanding art work and decor throughout the hotel. So much so we were interested in buying some of the artwork. Our guide to our room was great- explaining everything- I'm sure he was amused at our shock from tent camps to the lap of luxury.
Our room was perfect- art work- french press coffee maker, glassed shower stall- we were so impressed we didn't want to touch anything... we got over that really quickly.
Great stay- special note- please say hello to Bernadette Konjabo concierge- she will help you with anything you need in Nairobi. She was so detail oriented that whilst printing our plane tickets- she noticed that my wife's birthday was just around the corner- she then arranged for a birthday dessert to be delivered to our room, nice personnel touch.
Awesome place!!!
AJ

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel was fabulous. Located in the same complex as the VIllage Market shopping centre, it was so easy to pop over for a bit of retail therapy and to visit the once-weekly Masai Market, held on a Friday. I got some great buys here.
The room was spacious and beautiful, with an amazing shower. The concierge Fidel gave me a one-on-one tour around the whole hotel, and was extremely helpful in answering my questions and made me feel very welcome.
It has really extraordinary art scattered around the building, and it was almost like being at a museum, the pieces were amazing.
The staff were very accommodating, serving by breakfast at 3am as I had a very early flight to catch. When my pre booked transfer (from another company) didn't show up to take me to the airport, they booked me a cab and told me not to worry, they would chase up the transfer company and fix up the taxi driver. They saved me from panicking about my missing transfer as I was very frazzled.
I would highly recommend the Tribe - and when in Nairobi I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This hotel is absolutely amazing. it is done with such taste and class. All of the staff is genuinely kind and the rooms are very comfortable. The Tribe hotel has a wonderful restaurant that can satisfy anyone's pallet (I was sincerely impressed) and if you're in the mood to relax there is a bar/lounge on the hotel roof with fabulous atmosphere. Not only does staying at this hotel allow me to feel like royalty but the shopping mall located right next door allowed me to shop like one. After staying at Tribe there is no where else I would rather be. My only misfortune was the length of my stay...I should have extended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!