“Mixed experience - problems but they tried hard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #14 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London
“Mixed experience - problems but they tried hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed at Tribe for three separate nights in late Sept/early Oct, on my way in and out of the Masi Mara and my experiences were mixed.
There is no doubt that this is trying to be an extremely stylish hotel and something different for Nairobi. Having stayed at sister hotel Melrose Arch in Jo'burg I was excited to be staying here and had high hopes. The design, on the surface, is pretty similar but it is just not *quite* as slick.
High points were the pool and the general entrance lobby and the manager introducing himself to me on my first visit. Food in the restaurant was also very good and they had decent wine by the glass.
Reception however seemed pretty stressed and chaotic whenever I arrived or left, which could just be a symptom of new staff in a new hotel. On my third visit they didn't remember me at all which is a shame as it is that kind of touch that makes a hotel stand out. Then, despite my booking clearly stating I required a twin room I was quizzed about whether that really meant two beds as my room had been set up as a double. After a wait of half an hour while they sorted it out (with a free glass of wine which was nice) we arrived in our room and discovered that the air con had packed up and there was an unsightly, noisy portable unit in there. When I complained I had to wait again and eventually was upgraded to a business suite. This was appreciated but I actually thought, particularly for a new hotel, that the room was pretty scruffy with scratched woodwork and also a view of the building work still going on outside. I heard two other guests also complaining about their rooms not being ready or simply not good enough. We were also affected by a Microsoft conference going on which meant there were no outside tables available for lunch.
The concierge service was also patchy, with emails not necessarily being followed up, although the lady was very sweet and helpful when I went to the desk to find out what was going on.
An important thing to be aware of is how far the hotel (particularly with Nairobi traffic) is from the airport. I was advised by reception to allow three hours to get there in the rush hour and while in fact it took an hour and a half, I wouldn't stay there again if I had an early morning flight.
I want to like and recommend Tribe and I hope that the teething problems will be sorted out. I do think however that for the international prices they are charging that the hotel is not yet living up to its international aspirations which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We were lucky enough to have stayed 3 nights at this incredible hotel at the end of our trip to Kenya.
We were overwhelmed by the elegance of the hotel from first glance, (I say overwhelmed as we were arriving from a 9 day safari-smelling like camp fire smoke- dusty clothing and in a serious need of a shave). As we drove to the main entrance, (with many UN vehicles parked about), we were greeted by very tall, elegantly dressed doormen-- (we mistakenly thought they were Kenya secret service, as they were dressed all in black with long jackets and dark sunglasses).
Checked in with no problem and we were whisked to our room- outstanding art work and decor throughout the hotel. So much so we were interested in buying some of the artwork. Our guide to our room was great- explaining everything- I'm sure he was amused at our shock from tent camps to the lap of luxury.
Our room was perfect- art work- french press coffee maker, glassed shower stall- we were so impressed we didn't want to touch anything... we got over that really quickly.
Great stay- special note- please say hello to Bernadette Konjabo concierge- she will help you with anything you need in Nairobi. She was so detail oriented that whilst printing our plane tickets- she noticed that my wife's birthday was just around the corner- she then arranged for a birthday dessert to be delivered to our room, nice personnel touch.
Awesome place!!!
AJ

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel was fabulous. Located in the same complex as the VIllage Market shopping centre, it was so easy to pop over for a bit of retail therapy and to visit the once-weekly Masai Market, held on a Friday. I got some great buys here.
The room was spacious and beautiful, with an amazing shower. The concierge Fidel gave me a one-on-one tour around the whole hotel, and was extremely helpful in answering my questions and made me feel very welcome.
It has really extraordinary art scattered around the building, and it was almost like being at a museum, the pieces were amazing.
The staff were very accommodating, serving by breakfast at 3am as I had a very early flight to catch. When my pre booked transfer (from another company) didn't show up to take me to the airport, they booked me a cab and told me not to worry, they would chase up the transfer company and fix up the taxi driver. They saved me from panicking about my missing transfer as I was very frazzled.
I would highly recommend the Tribe - and when in Nairobi I would definitely go there again.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This hotel is absolutely amazing. it is done with such taste and class. All of the staff is genuinely kind and the rooms are very comfortable. The Tribe hotel has a wonderful restaurant that can satisfy anyone's pallet (I was sincerely impressed) and if you're in the mood to relax there is a bar/lounge on the hotel roof with fabulous atmosphere. Not only does staying at this hotel allow me to feel like royalty but the shopping mall located right next door allowed me to shop like one. After staying at Tribe there is no where else I would rather be. My only misfortune was the length of my stay...I should have extended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

My three-night stay at Tribe was nothing short of Exceptional. After a pleasant 25-min drive from the airport, I was greeted by warm and welcoming staff. The fabulous room with marvellously modern finishes (the bathroom being my favourite), is only one of the many reasons I would highly recommend Tribe. The food was consistently delicious (make sure you are there for a Sunday brunch) and Nest – the rooftop chill area with the best shisha I’ve had - completes this world-class hotel experience. There is no need to leave the hotel for a night life vibe, just head upstairs to Nest and if you’re as lucky as I was, you will meet a plethora of interesting people – locals and expats. To top it off, The Village market shopping centre next door will meet all of your shopping needs. For business or pleasure, Tribe is easily the Best hotel in Nairobi. If there was a sixth star, Tribe would most certainly have earned it!

Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I Have just returned from a 9 day trip to Kenya, filled with safaris and what may. my trip started and ended with a night in Nairobi at the Tribe hotel.

Tribe hotel was listed by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the hot hotels for 2010 and I couldn't agree more!

The hotel architecture, textures, colors, layout and more importantly, collection of artwork, is surprising. hundreds of antique and original African Artwork pieces are displayed throughout the hotel with amazing taste. Attention to details is everywhere and the vibe is modern yet ancient.

The staff is extremely capable and well trained; Always present without being over present; Always smiling and ready to assist and serve.

I was given an upgrade to one of their two story penthouses and didn’t want to leave the room!

The pool area is very well thought out and the water at a perfect temperature.

Food was also exquisite and rich. The Sunday brunch outside, with a live band playing just the right music, not too loud and not too low, made my last day in Kenya wonderful and made it very difficult for me to get into one of the hotel’s comfortable limousines back to the airport, and to real life.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Nairobi. I would even recommend you take a detour to Nairobi if you are somewhere around, and enjoy the hotel’s amenities and service.

Two thumbs up Tribe !

Kathmandu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Moved here from another hotel for a few nights just to check it out as had heard it was great but that was a big mistake! Tribe has a facade of 5 star hotel, but its a very thin facade and you start to see through it fast! service is HIGHLY friendly but inept, room amenities are inconsistent, food is average to bad (don't try room service) and the noise is VERY LOUD all over the hotel. there is music, boring, same beat all the time background music EVERYWHERE, you can't get away from it. its at the gym, the pool, the restaurants, the lounges, everywhere. even when a live band was playing at the pool they left all the background music on so you heard them both at once! Awful!

Also, if you are in a room on the 4th floor, you might feel like you are in a nightclub until 1am as the rooftop bar is pumping loud music till then., If you are near the pool you might have same problem as they have live events there. THIS IS NOT A GOOD BUSINESS HOTEL as it you cant get any rest. Its a great hotel if you want to party all night and "be seen" in a fake posh location, but that's really all it is.

lastly, the gym is half way done, the spa isn't open, and the hotel feels unfinished. the rooms are gorgeous but small, and not very functional. the swimming pool is pretty but small, no laps just bar stools throughout!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!