“Luxury stay at the Tribe Village Market” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Sydney, Australia
“Luxury stay at the Tribe Village Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel was fabulous. Located in the same complex as the VIllage Market shopping centre, it was so easy to pop over for a bit of retail therapy and to visit the once-weekly Masai Market, held on a Friday. I got some great buys here.
The room was spacious and beautiful, with an amazing shower. The concierge Fidel gave me a one-on-one tour around the whole hotel, and was extremely helpful in answering my questions and made me feel very welcome.
It has really extraordinary art scattered around the building, and it was almost like being at a museum, the pieces were amazing.
The staff were very accommodating, serving by breakfast at 3am as I had a very early flight to catch. When my pre booked transfer (from another company) didn't show up to take me to the airport, they booked me a cab and told me not to worry, they would chase up the transfer company and fix up the taxi driver. They saved me from panicking about my missing transfer as I was very frazzled.
I would highly recommend the Tribe - and when in Nairobi I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This hotel is absolutely amazing. it is done with such taste and class. All of the staff is genuinely kind and the rooms are very comfortable. The Tribe hotel has a wonderful restaurant that can satisfy anyone's pallet (I was sincerely impressed) and if you're in the mood to relax there is a bar/lounge on the hotel roof with fabulous atmosphere. Not only does staying at this hotel allow me to feel like royalty but the shopping mall located right next door allowed me to shop like one. After staying at Tribe there is no where else I would rather be. My only misfortune was the length of my stay...I should have extended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

My three-night stay at Tribe was nothing short of Exceptional. After a pleasant 25-min drive from the airport, I was greeted by warm and welcoming staff. The fabulous room with marvellously modern finishes (the bathroom being my favourite), is only one of the many reasons I would highly recommend Tribe. The food was consistently delicious (make sure you are there for a Sunday brunch) and Nest – the rooftop chill area with the best shisha I’ve had - completes this world-class hotel experience. There is no need to leave the hotel for a night life vibe, just head upstairs to Nest and if you’re as lucky as I was, you will meet a plethora of interesting people – locals and expats. To top it off, The Village market shopping centre next door will meet all of your shopping needs. For business or pleasure, Tribe is easily the Best hotel in Nairobi. If there was a sixth star, Tribe would most certainly have earned it!

Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I Have just returned from a 9 day trip to Kenya, filled with safaris and what may. my trip started and ended with a night in Nairobi at the Tribe hotel.

Tribe hotel was listed by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the hot hotels for 2010 and I couldn't agree more!

The hotel architecture, textures, colors, layout and more importantly, collection of artwork, is surprising. hundreds of antique and original African Artwork pieces are displayed throughout the hotel with amazing taste. Attention to details is everywhere and the vibe is modern yet ancient.

The staff is extremely capable and well trained; Always present without being over present; Always smiling and ready to assist and serve.

I was given an upgrade to one of their two story penthouses and didn’t want to leave the room!

The pool area is very well thought out and the water at a perfect temperature.

Food was also exquisite and rich. The Sunday brunch outside, with a live band playing just the right music, not too loud and not too low, made my last day in Kenya wonderful and made it very difficult for me to get into one of the hotel’s comfortable limousines back to the airport, and to real life.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Nairobi. I would even recommend you take a detour to Nairobi if you are somewhere around, and enjoy the hotel’s amenities and service.

Two thumbs up Tribe !

Kathmandu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Moved here from another hotel for a few nights just to check it out as had heard it was great but that was a big mistake! Tribe has a facade of 5 star hotel, but its a very thin facade and you start to see through it fast! service is HIGHLY friendly but inept, room amenities are inconsistent, food is average to bad (don't try room service) and the noise is VERY LOUD all over the hotel. there is music, boring, same beat all the time background music EVERYWHERE, you can't get away from it. its at the gym, the pool, the restaurants, the lounges, everywhere. even when a live band was playing at the pool they left all the background music on so you heard them both at once! Awful!

Also, if you are in a room on the 4th floor, you might feel like you are in a nightclub until 1am as the rooftop bar is pumping loud music till then., If you are near the pool you might have same problem as they have live events there. THIS IS NOT A GOOD BUSINESS HOTEL as it you cant get any rest. Its a great hotel if you want to party all night and "be seen" in a fake posh location, but that's really all it is.

lastly, the gym is half way done, the spa isn't open, and the hotel feels unfinished. the rooms are gorgeous but small, and not very functional. the swimming pool is pretty but small, no laps just bar stools throughout!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1,679 helpful votes 1,679 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Tribe Hotel is an amazing work of art. It is a business type hotel, but feels so Africa. We were amazed by the intricate details put into every part of the hotel. Everything from the curtains to the walls to the lighting to the decor was just impressive. We just walked around the hotel and admired the architecture and decorations for quite some time. There are really no views from the hotel, so don't worry about where your room is located too much.

LOCATION - Tribe is located next door to the Village Market, which is an outdoor shopping mall. It is on the outskirts of Nairobi in the posh embassy district of town, on the opposite side of town as the airport, so check what time you're arriving. If it's at rush hour plan on a good 1.5 hours to get there. If it's at other times, then probably 40 minutes. It's not really that far, but the traffic in Nairobi is just a nightmare. You can walk next door to the Village Market and do some shopping, get your cell phone or blackberry set up at Safaricom, catch a movie or get set up with supplies. The one thing they don't have is anywhere selling safari-type clothing. The surrounding area is posh and wooded, lovely actually. There are mansions all around, and the road winds through the forest. Just plan around the traffic.

ROOMS - We were in a Superior Room, which I guess differs from a deluxe room only in size and size of the TV. The room was lovely, spotless, spacious and very attractive. There were a couple of small maintenance issues, but a phone call to the front desk got those fixed right away. The bathroom is separated from the rest of the room by frosted glass, so consider that if you're into your privacy in the bathroom. Our room was on the bottom floor, which was convenient for breakfast and the pool area, but at 8:00 AM every day they vacuumed outside, waking us up. I'd ask for a higher floor next time. Large flat-screen TV, nice desk for working, and very African decor made for a nice stay.

SERVICE - With the exception of the front desk, the staff was all extraordinarily friendly, especially the security guards outside. We were always met with a "jambo" and a smile. The front desk was not overly friendly or helpful, and when we made requests they were slow to respond, but they were not bad, just not as friendly as the rest of the staff. We were called also by the guest relations manager to ask if we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could do for us, which we appreciated. Overall slow, but that is typical in Kenya, so you can't be too hard on them.

AMENITIES - There is a beautiful pool area just outside the restaurant, perfect to sit and have a cocktail and relax. The restaurant was very nice, with mostly good food, and a lovely ambience. We wished for a bit more African food, as it was pretty generic international selections, but we ate there twice and were satisfied. The breakfast was decent, nothing to write home about but fine. There is a rooftop hookah lounge which was nice in the evening. A bit of music, and if you like to smoke hookah there were lots of different flavors.

BUSINESS - There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel, which was very nice. This is a comfortable business hotel, particularly popular with the diplomatic set due to its location.

Overall, we loved the Tribe hotel. It had all the amenities we needed, a lovely ambience particularly for a business type hotel, and the staff was very nice. A beautiful place. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I was thoroughly impressed with Tribe Hotel from their remarkable décor to their impeccable service. To start, the building is in a beautiful setting surrounded by green foliage and varied landscape. Once you are greeted by genuine smiling faces at the door you walk into such a tasteful and modern hotel that it’s hard to remember you are in Africa! The food is exceptional with a wide range of choices available. Their gym is great--they have a machine I had never seen before where you can do over 200 exercises! I usually like to workout on my own but their gym experts are so knowledgeable and friendly I couldn’t leave without asking them to set up a workout for me. I used their business center also. Their internet was faster than I expected, I got more work done there than any other place during my trip. My favorite spot in the hotel was the beautiful rooftop lounge, suitably called Nest, with comfortable couches and just the right ambiance where I could enjoy the vibe from a crowd but also relax and take in the scenery. And the proximity to Village Market is so convenient; there, I found all sorts of good places to shop and get souvenirs, I could even do my nails! Anddd they have the best food court I have ever tried in any mall. But back to the hotel…It’s fabulous! The place was so beautiful and their staff so attentive, I did not want to leave. I am already trying to plan a second visit! With Tribe Hotel in Nairobi, there’s no other place worth going!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!