“Classy, fun and superior service Nairobi hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #12 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Miami, Florida
“Classy, fun and superior service Nairobi hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Beautiful and unique design throughout the entire hotel is what stuck in my mind the most, right next to the refreshing, upbeat ambiance. Service excels among all staff, from the resourceful concierge and reception, to the extremely knowledgeable guide and the attentive Manager. Was definitely a memorable stay.

• Stayed August 2010

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My husband was there for business and I was on my own. There isn't much to do around the hotel, except the Village Market...which I saw in 2 days. The security is tight because of terrorism and/or kidnappings...it's very close to the U.N. and U.S. Embassy.
The inside has a cool vibe...like the 'W' hotels. Lots of little areas to relax or converse.
The breakfast was $18...a bit high for eggs. Then I found a black hair in my omelette...yuk! The room was nice, but not clean either. I wrote 'dust' on the tv and took pictures of the black hair in the shower...yuk! The 1st day I tried to take a nap and 3 times someone from housekeeping entered my room...only to exit quickly when they realized someone was in there. Then I realized the door wasn't locked...I told the front desk when we left for dinner. When we came back she said it had been fixed. I asked if she needed my keys to reset, she said no. Of course, the keys didn't work and had to go back downstairs.
The AC didn't always work. We later found out that the electricity goes out and the hotel runs on generator...and the AC won't work on that. It was 26-28 celsius...too hot to sleep. On the 3rd day they brought us a fan after several complaints.
I left 2 days early and husband stayed for meetings. I left him a bag of souvenirs (I took half and left half for him). The next evening they were gone. I was in Turkey and it was difficult to get in touch with me. When he finally did, he asked if I had taken all of them...no. He complained to the front desk, but they never found them.
We emailed the manager and he said he'd look into it, but never got back to us. He eventually offered us a 2 night stay. We just wanted the souvenirs.
It's a nice hotel, but the service is terrible. If you don't have business nearby, I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't come here for a vacation. If you go, watch your things!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Tribe (The Village Market Hotel)
The theme, “One Planet – One Tribe”, describes the philosophy of this hotel’s management. From one’s first steps into the lobby, the art and architecture brings out the spirit of Africa. The hotel’s rooms, pools, gardens, reception areas and restaurants reflect a highly modern approach. I couldn’t believe I was staying in a hotel in the middle of Africa. Accompanying this high quality is the service which was exceptional. It is no wonder the Tribe Hotel continues to receive awards from media and organizations from around the world. It is 5-stars +. You really can’t get any better than that.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
washington D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Just stayed at this hotel and I was very impressed. Really really hip--great bars and very nice rooms--somewhat akin to a 'W' Hotel in the States. Kind of expensive, but Nairobi is pricey at times. Very good security and positioned within the Village Market, which is a very ritzy set of restaurants and stores--2 minute walk from the hotel. Could be a very romantic spot and its away from the downtown area. Would love to stay here again. Apparently partially owned by Iranian interests though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Fantastic hotel in Nairobi. We usually stay at the Norfork, but from now on we'll be returning to the Tribe. Lovely room and common areas. My only question mark is the restaurant. Breakfast was good but we had some friends over for dinner one night and each of us found the portions to be tiny or nothing exceptional. The Spa is not yet up and running. They have just one massage room and I wasn't able to get an appointment.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

This hotel ranks as one of the most interesting I've ever experienced, anywhere. And I've been everywhere (except Antarctica). Accent lighting, the use of decorative pieces, clever breaking up of visual lines and creative use of materials give this hotel a funky, edgy take on Africana.

The food is very good. The service is very good.

The rooms are nicely appointed, with the only drawback being the typically African neglect of correct water drainage from the shower. (I haven't been to a hotel anywhere in Africa that has ever gotten this correct - they just can't do grading/plumbing I guess).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I was in awe of the modern architecture when i first stepped inside. It is full of hundreds of african art, each one really interesting to look at with deco-art furnitures to match. The hotel gives that homey feel which is something not common among other hotels. You can stay in every corner and will be comfortable. The staff are very hospitable and friendly too. It is a spot worth a tour

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!