“Nice hotel with the children ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #14 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Uganda
“Nice hotel with the children ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here with my two children (1.5 & 6 yrs). The pool is great, but there is no service there so be prepared to look for towels and drinks. The resturant has a good kids menu. The food is good and has nice portions. The breakfast buffet is not the best I've seen but it's satisfying. The service in the Resturant is slow and awkward. Never sure who is serving us.
The other staff are great- very friendly. I was a little disappointed with the security though. Luggage is not checked nor our guests' handbags checked as they re entered the hotel. We recently stayed at the Sankara hotel and every bag was ex-rayed every time. With the recent issues in Kenya I would hope this hotel could increase their security. Other then that it was a nice place to stay.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Vicenza, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The service downstairs in the restaurant leaves A LOT to be desired. One particular night, I spent over 2 hours there for dinner and I was alone. Don't order the St Louis Ribs! They do NOT taste anything like ribs in the states! Additionally, if you're in a hurry at breakfast, do NOT order a pancake! It will take 20+ minutes to get it!
The rooms are nice. Wifi is available and you can connect unlimited devices.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed for four days at Tribe for business and it couldn't have been more convenient. The rooms are clean, well maintainted and the service is outstanding! From concierge to housekeeping, the service is absolutely professional and prompt. They really go out of their way to assist with whatever issues you have.
The hotel is located in the diplomatic area which is lovely but a bit far from the centre (especially if you try to get there during rush hour). The stay, however, definitely worth the extra 20 mins journey!
I would certainly choose Tribe again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Jambo!
I was surprised to find the warm hearted welcomes all over kenya, but the tribe really redefined the word hospitality for me. Each staff member I came across was so friendly I actually wanted to get to know them, and I did!. Ofcourse the rooms, food etc were up to the mark of its name but I cannot emphasize enough of the service. I definitely suggest this to all those travelling to nairobi, definitely worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I regularly travel to Nairobi on business and had wanted to try The Tribe Hotel. I figured being one of the highest priced hotels in Nairobi, it had to be as good as The Kempenski, The Fairview or The Serena hotels.

Hotel Review: The hotel has a wonderful continental breakfast with made-to-order omelets, fresh fruit. Well-prepared and beautifully delivered. Lunch and dinner in the hotel was priced a little high but quality was high and the taste of everything was nice.

I stayed in the hotel with my son, our room had two beds, and tastefully decorated - nice bed. At first glance, things are in good working order. But after a day in the room, we realized none of the outlets in the room worked (had to call maintenance one evening and was told it would be handled first-thing the next morning). After a second call to reception the next morning it was handled.

The window in our room did not properly close. Furniture was worn and shower leaked constantly.

I stopped by the front desk after receiving a nice bottle of wine as a gift from a colleague and asked for a bottle opener and was told one would be brought to my room immediately. Never happened. An hour later, I made my way to the fourth floor "lounge" where there were people sitting enjoying hookah and asked to borrow their bottle opener and was told I would have to pay a "corkage" fee - seriously!? You said you would bring it to the room and when I go hunting one out an hour later to open a gift I received, you want to charge me a corkage fee? I would have understood if I were bringing the wine out in public to drink, but to have it inside my hotel room? Very odd.

What began to reveal itself is that though the hotel has huge potential and is marketed as one of the most elegant hotels in Nairobi, service does not match the price (and attitude of employees I encountered).

The final item I found shocking is that the last day we were there, the city of Nairobi was experiencing power outages all day. I have stayed at other top tier hotels in Nairobi and encountered the same thing - except in those other hotels, they were prepared with backup generators. I will never forget the looks of horror of a female guest trapped in the glass-enclosed elevator for 45 minutes. Why, Tribe, do you not have backup generators??? This is a city where the electricity goes on and off regularly!

In the end, I rate the hotel average because for the price you pay to stay at Tribe, the service should be stellar - and every contingency should be covered BEFORE you arrive - this is why we pay $300+ a night to stay with you.

If you are looking for a hotel, consider Tribe, but come prepared for a lower class of service.

Room Tip: Stay on fourth floor - facing pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

service is great and very comfy. Relaxed while having a cold soft drink and browsing the internet.
Clean air supply and awesome outside environment.
location is good and looking forward for another relaxing moment at the tribe hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nairobi has a reputation for being a little unsafe for the "mazoongu" traveller so I was really relieved when we arrived to see that security was very tight and once inside the big gates I felt extremely safe. The food in the restaurant was exceptional with chefs cooking meals in front of you to your taste. Lovely pool area and very modern decor throughout. Great if you are looking for the 5 star experience.

The hotel also has a couple of bars for you to enjoy and the staff a very helpful for arranging transport or tours etc. There is also a big Nakumart supermarket and boutique shops 100 metres away which is very convenient.

Rooms are beautiful but not very big. If you are travelling with family definitely look at a larger than standard room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!