“Great hotel with exceptional staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #13 of 97 hotels in Nairobi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great hotel with exceptional staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times for business as it is in a safe area and conveniently located next to Village Market. The staff are exceptional, rooms are immaculate, and the place is always buzzing with interesting people and cool events. The only downside, which I have experienced on every visit is that the rooms are not well insulated from noise so every time someone near your room closes their door it is startling and in the back of the hotel you can hear the traffic. I am a very heavy sleeper and it still disturbs me. The spa is really nice! I recommend Lucyanno for a the perfect mani pedi.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the lobby and away from the gym.

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Tribe Hotel in Nairobi. The rooms are clean and very attractive, the staff is nice and the restaurant is very good. The security is excellent, and as I was traveling for business, it was the hotel that was recommended by the US Embassy. Would definitely stay there again.

Providence RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am using the same yardstick I apply to the rest of the world when I give this hotel a "Very Good" review. It is one of the nicest hotels in Nairobi and Kenya for that matter. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the layout is more like a club than a hotel. The staff is very nice and helpful. What really perplexes me is how they can take all the great stuff going on and create such a useless space out of everything. Outside has various water effects that will make trips across at night downright dangerous. The whole hotel has Wi-fi but I have not found a place yet with a strong signal. The breakfast is disjointed and has a awkward flow. The gym... well lets just say its focus is modern chic not crushing plates. I am not a huge guy and I can empty their racks. They do however have the most bad Larry punching bag room I have ever seen. I hope to see some dignitaries annihilating that bag some day. The prices are high but if you have spent some time in Kenya it is a welcome reprieve from more austere locations.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the inside of the compound. There is construction of an office building on...
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just finishing my 3rd stay, ten nights, at The Tribe. The Tribe is really a boutique hotel with its own very unique character and ambience. I enjoy it alot. First, the building is beautiful with striking architecture and African art all over, including in the rooms. The public areas offer generous and comfortable seating, much of it in a punk style that contrasts with the building. Like most boutique hotels, the rooms ca be slightly small. As some have noted, the bath area is very minimalist Scandanavian. In my room right now I am looking at a gorgeous combination of stone, dark wood, brick, and painted concrete. It's amazing. THe bed is outstanding! The included breakfast is very nice, more European or British than American. Service has been quite good. Their expediter met me at the airport as scheduled, which had not happened on my two previous visits. I do, however, have to agree with the comments that staff, while very nice, rarely seem able to resolve issues on the spot. The pool area is a lovely, multi-level area with food/drink service and sunbathing. There is also a well-regarded spa. Rooms have full amenities with safe and tea/coffee service in-room. Rates are not cheap, but consistent with the city. Overall, The Tribe is a lovely property where you can relax and be comfortable and secure. Could it be better? Yes. But, all in all, I have enjoyed my stay very much. Wold be delighted to return again.

Room Tip: Do note: The Tribe is in northwest Nairobi, totally across town from the airport and not near the CB...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Batya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel is in a rather good area of the city. Very close to UN hq and foreign embassies. The Village market mall is in the same closed and gated area.
Rooms are large and very comfortable. Many amenities including free wifi, coffee maker TV with movie channels.
The hotel design is modern and clean so is the pool area and restaurant

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Made a nice 1 day stint between safaris and traveling between parks. While I appreciated the air con and the toliets with full flush power, it lacked any real interesting aspects. It is a convenient walk to the shopping area next door. We didn't try any of the amenities. If I were on business I would stay there without hesitation, but for holiday I would try something different.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is nice and in a safe area. At the reception I always wonder if they understood what I was asking.Most of the time I realize they didn't. I ask for feathers pillow I got them two days later. We went for the safari and coming back three days later I ask for the same room,they wrote down my request, well when we got back we didn't get the same room because they gave it to someone else. The housekeeper come at 4 o'clock to prepare the room for the night, at 4 o'clock it never happen in any hotel in my life, anyway if you were in the room she won't come back later, sorry you lost your chance.
I also try the spa,I wanted to have a scrub and my husband a massage, very hard to find an appointment, we went on a friday and reserve for sunday, incredible sunday there was no appointment for us, I ask to talk to the manager, sorry is not on duty because is Easter Sunday, what?
Another incredible fact is that we spend Easter sunday at the hotel, we were thinking to relax at the swimming pool and have lunch there, no way, the restaurant was full, shouldn't the hotel guest have the priority? Ok well we can relax at the pool, NO because the hotel had an entertainment for the restaurant guests' kids, where? in the pool area, so splashing and shouting, and the two of us and another Japanese couple had to recover to our room.
I have a question for the manager, who is in charge to clean the stairs to go the gym, because a dead cockroach stays there for 3 days and insects wing never been clean.

Room Tip: the 503 has a nice garden and you can seat outside, a little bit noisy because of the road
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!