“Dont understand the fuss - its just ok.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #12 of 131 Hotels in Nairobi
“Dont understand the fuss - its just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews on this page and wonder whether I stayed at the same hotel. Although a bit far, the location is great. The hotel is located close to a large mall, with some options for restaurants and entertainment.

We stayed for 5 nights, after 2 sleepless nights, due to what sounded like a broken water pump above our room, we asked to change rooms. Both rooms were nicely designed, although on the small side and clean. The breakfast buffet good with many options. The service at the hotel was a hit and miss (I have written a separate review for that) and we sometimes felt that there was biased treatment towards caucasian guests.

The gym was ok with adequate machines however the hotel is lacking a proper pool area, it accommodates 6 lounge chairs at best and it the pool itself its quite small.

Overall I think its quite over priced for what you get.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
BKK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here on business, and loved it. The rooms are beautifully and tastefully done. It feels modern and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was excellent. The spa is fantastic, but book ahead. The hotel is located next to a shopping plaza, so you can walk around there in the evening. Overall, I would definitely stay here again when traveling through nairobi. Excellent place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

After much thought we decided to go for this hotel. It did not let us down one bit. Such a great hotel with amazing decor and a lovely serene ambiance. The room we stayed in was extremely comfortable. Service of the staff was great too. Would definitely go back there again.

Room Tip: Junior suite has a great view of the pool area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Its an artist hotel fit for the art crowd. Its architecture is exceptional. The decor can be used in the art scene and the rooms are comfortable. The market is just beside it where you can dine and buy your souvenir before going home.

Room Tip: just make sure your rooms are in the main building........
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
addis ababa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

An Amazing hotel in every aspect ... Its like a modern musuem , with high quality furniture and paintings ... They call it the " honey moon " hotel because many choose itt for their honey moon .. Location is perfect as its connected to the village market which is considered one off the most famous malls in Nairoobi , that has a water park and a movie theatre , plus a huge outdoors food courts , and many quality restaurants !!!
Staff are friendly (as all Kenyans are) .. It has a nice swimmimg pool and a gym .. On the 4 th floor there is an outdoor bar that also serves Hookas !! Food is excellent there , but we still prefer to have our meals at the Village Market !!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Timisoara, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in Tribe hotel during an African trip, with a group of 22 people.
Hotel- a 5 stars look, very nice interior and fabulous paintings and statues. The food was delicious and the breakfast varied.
Unfortunately the check-in was performed in 3 hours! We booked the rooms in advance and payed for it, unfortunately we found out that 7 rooms were not available; some of my colleagues were forced to find another logement around.
Finally the problem was resolved with our embassy help.
Me and my husband received the last available room , on the ground floor and a broken window.
I did not felt very comfortable with the situation and asked for another one, than we find out that the hotel was fully overbooked for that night.
But the next day we received another 5 floor room, witch was better than the first one, so they solved the problem the next day.We felt very secure at the Tribe, a very important issue in Africa.
Kenya has wonderful attractions and fabulous landscapes and definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am a frequent traveller who stays in quite a few hotels each year. I had to pay 50% extra for an early check-in, 6AM, but I am glad my room was ready and I could get to sleep after a long flight across Africa. I still woke up in time for the buffet breakfast. The cook made a two-egg omelet with vegetables for me and I swear it was the best omelet I've had in a long while. I needed to get my hair done and I booked an appointment with the spa. The stylist was professional and he did a great job of perming and cutting my hair. At the hour when staff arrives to turn down the bed, I was presented with a little box of chocolates. That night I treated myself to a ribeye steak dinner with new potatos and asparagus, and topped it off with tiramasu served in a deep glass. Because I had to leave very early the next morning, I was able to check out the night before and book their taxi to the airport. You are off the beaten path at this hotel, but it is also quiet and safe. It's pricey but I felt I got what I paid for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business