“I love the decor, food and ambiance + great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #13 of 122 Hotels in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nairobi
“I love the decor, food and ambiance + great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I discovered this hotel 2 years ago. I have never been an overnight guest but I have been to Jiko restaurant severally and it is wonderful. Kaya Spa is very plush and beautifully designed. Sadly I had a bad experience with their massage done by a certain therapist. The room was cold and the intensity of the massage was much too vigorous. As a result my low-grade illness I had at the time was severely worsened by the effect of the massage on my lymphatic system. When I gave the therapist this feedback she dismissed my case as a "healing reaction." Not! - Immediately afterwards, I was completely down for two days! I still recommend Kaya spa to my friends, just not that particular therapist, and I am a HUGE fan of the Tribe hotel.I truly believe it is one of Kenya's very best and I most thoroughly enjoy going there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was our first trip to Kenya and we decided to stay at the Tribe Hotel 2 nights before our tour began at the Fairmont Nairobi hotel. The location of The Tribe is in a very pretty area of Nairobi near the U.N. compound and the U.S. Embassy. When you first arrive, you pass through a gated area which entrances to a local mall or shopping village. You must then pass through another gate and armed security to get into the hotel parking lot. They take their security very seriously which I was happy to see. All around the hotel, the flowers were in full bloom - everything from bougainvilla to hibiscus and other tropicals. The hotel was very modern and very eclectic - great sitting areas and bars inside and an outdoor bar called the Nest which overlooks the lovely pool. At night the pool and surrounding area is lit beautifully. The room was wonderful and again very eclectic but very comfortable. Many of the guests seemed to be younger than us, but that's not hard to do and many were likely European but I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The concierge contracted for a driver to take us to the Karen Blixen museum and to the Giraffe Center. Our driver was very well educated and interested in our thoughts of his country and wanted to share his knowledge with us which we appreciated. One last thing, we did take advantage of the spa and had massages after our long flights. The spa was beautiful and we felt rejuvenated after an hour of pampering. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After briefly visiting Tribe for drinks in September, I was keen to try it for my latest visit to Nairobi. I must say that staying here was a wise choice - this is my kind of hotel. Comfortable and with all the ameneties one wants on the road...but more importantly, it really captures the modern Nairobi identity, an identity that has moved beyond staid history, and moved beyond the Überpampering found at many of the classic hotels in town. Tribe is the heart of new Nairobi, vibrant, innovative, detail oriented, and fun. The design captures this, and the staff and service exude it at all times. There is no concept of colonial era deference to visitors; instead hotel guests are treated in a helpful and friendly manner that is friendly and genuine. I really appreciated that, almost as much as I appreciated the rainshowers, modern gym with free personal trainer, and great beds.

Finally, a couple of things that also stood out are often pet peeves of mine: charges for bottled water and for internet. At Tribe, you get unlimited bottled water at no charge, and free wifi (among the fastest in town). All in all, nice touches that will bring me back again.

Room Tip: A lot of unique options due to the design...2nd floor wings are quiet (228 is furthest from the elev...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Relocated to the tribe from a nearby substandard hotel(Windsor). The experience from the lobby to guest service was amazing. Rooms were slighly costy but worth it. Our dining experience augmented by the hotel's ambience was absolutely gorgeous.

I would recommend the tribe to anyone looking to stay away from the city and for its modern touch and elegance

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Fantastic rooms. Great service. Loved their food. Nice pool area although kind of tight. The only complaint is the price. On the very high side. They cater to diplomats who dont care if overcharged. Great location in Village Market shopping area and very good security.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Tribe is a shi shi hotel in a beautiful residential area of Nairobi. It is located beside a small upscale outdoor mall. The decor is modern, clean and upscale. The room was lovely and service impeccable. We enjoyed a quiet intimate dinner on the pool deck under the stars. Two of the neighbouring tables were located on a small finger of decking that reached out into the pool. I wondered aloud if anyone ever got up from the table, took a misstep and landed in the water. Sure enough, before we concluded our meal someone stood up from the aforementioned table and stepped back into the pool! Be warned, if you want to stay on the safe side but eat under the stars ask for a table at poolside, not inside :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The rooms are small, trendy and clean. The hotel is away from the city center and a 5 minute walk to a large outdoor shopping center. The mall has several dining options- fast food and sit down.

I was hoping to enjoy a day at the spa, but couldn't even bear to sit in the changing/relaxation area due to the smell of mold.

The receptionist admitted that they had a problem with water seeping in- in the changing rooms but not in the massage areas.

I do wish they offered this explanation during booking so that I could have booked an appointment elsewhere.
It is also a health concern for some of us that have severe allergies.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!