“Trip Advisor Awarded it for a reason!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #12 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
“Trip Advisor Awarded it for a reason!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently had an overnight at this lovely hotel between flights from Mombasa to Kigali.
When you leave the congested streets of downtiwn Nairobi and walk into this beautiful hotel, it's like an oasis. It is very aesthetically pleasing. The reception desk is customer service oriented and very, very friendly. My check-in was quick and James said it was his duty to give the 'Tribe Experience'.
I was quickly shown to my room and immediately thought there was a mistake. I booked a standard room since my time there was so short but I was suddenly in a two story room with large windows, massive tv and sitting area, bar, guest bathroom and of course the bedroom, bath and jacuzzi tub upstairs. A few minutes later James called and asked if I was pleased with my accommodation. He had given me a complimentary upgrade to the Penthouse Suite. What I found funny, I was reading an in-flight magazine on my flight from Mombasa and found a two page spread of this beautiful room with limited advertising. I noticed it was Tribe and sure enough, it was the room I was given!
Room service is quick and friendly. Dinner at Jiko is divine. The waiters are attentive and always standing by if you have a request. The food is of high quality, generous portions and good selection (more offered on the menu than on the website menu). The wine list is extensive and complements the menu well.
The only reason I gave it an average in location is because the Nairobi traffic. While I realize this is completely out of the responsibility of the hotel, it should be noted if you are a business traveler that you will have to allow more time for travel to the airport. However, It is right next to a major shopping center and you do feel very safe. I still believe a stay at this beautiful hotel is worth it!
Thank you, I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Centurion, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you are working or visiting Gigiri, Nairobi’s “diplomatic district,” and can afford a higher-priced hotel, The Tribe is your best bet. Owned by the same people as the Village Market shopping center next door, and designed by a prominent Nairobi architect, is a stunningly beautiful – with African-modern décor and fittings from around the world (including high quality from China). The room décor is a bit “cold” for my personal taste, but elegant and comfortable. Public areas are beautiful. Staff are very attentive and generally follow through on requests. Check out the security guards compared with other places in East Africa. These folks are serious and professional, not just security theater, a good indicator that this hotel invests in its people.

The Tribe’s biggest weakness has been its restaurant, which has gone through multiple menus and chefs. It seems to be coming right now, although the menu selection still seems a bit limited to me. In any case the Village Market’s proximity gives easy, walking access to several other options – mostly down-market, but one good Italian restaurant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for a night and loved every bit about the hotel, receptionist smiling and attending to you attentively. The restaurants are detailed and staff excellent! Jesse and Cynthia were great will definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights here at the beginning of our honeymoon. This is a truly excellent hotel. The member of staff who showed us to our room even checked that the TV was working and when the remote needed fixing they swiftly went to get a new one/fix it and returned within minutes. The little touches made this hotel very special to us like a sincere card congratulating us on our wedding along with a bottle of sparkling wine and amazing hand-made chocolates. On our second day a bunch of red roses was waiting in the room too. We both went for massages and were put in a couples treatment room. Without a doubt the best massage I have ever had. There was a wide choice for breakfast and it was of a very high quality. We ate in the hotel one night and this was excellent. The hotel is in the ex-pat area of Nairobi and right next to a shopping centre. We were very impressed with the level of security surrounding the hotel and felt very safe. The only niggle was on checkout an extra $325 had been added onto our bill for what looked like an excursion...granted we did go on some excursions, and I am not sure if this has anything to do with the mistake being made, but these were all booked and paid for through trailfinders before we arrived so we were very disappointed to have to essentially explain ourselves to the manager but it was all sorted out eventually so be sure to take a careful look at your bill on check-out. This is why I have only given 4 stars, otherwise it would have been 5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a lovely place. We were only there overnight twice, but the food was good, the service was good and the place is beautiful. The bath towels could be a bit more plush but that is a very small thing to worry about.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent a great weekend at the Tribe Hotel. The hotel combines a cool modern vibe with a sense of great comfort. The rooms also reflected this. One of the best nights of sleep I've had at a hotel, and a great space to just relax in. The staff got the balance between friendliness and unobtrusiveness perfectly right. We had dinner at their restaurant, Jiko, one of our nights and the local lamb (which I had) was done perfectly.

Next time I'm in Nairobi, I'll definitely be staying with them again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
I stayed 2 nights at the Tribe Hotel in Nairobi, 6+7 October 2012 and was hugely disappointed and frustrated beyond believe. I will never stay there again.
THE GOOD:
The Tribe is one of the trendiest looking hotels in Nairobi, and that is where it ends.
THE BAD:
Reception:
Staff at reception got it down to a fine art to ignore you completely. I was not even acknowledged with a quick glance. I felt completely invisible.
Although I requested a room with a bathtub during my reservation, the room given to me had only a shower, so I requested another room with a bathtub, but the receptionist told me they were fully booked, but added that if I really wanted a “bathtub” they have the presidential suite available.
I was dead tired after a very long flight plus a tiresome 2 hour drive from the airport to the hotel, desperate for a hot bath and a good rest. So I agreed to stay in the presidential suite. My nightmare started. The receptionist asked me to wait in the lobby lounge because the suite was not ready yet. I went back to the reception several times to enquire, every time I was told it would be ready soon and every time I went back to the lobby to continue waiting. It took more than hour to check in. This was after 17:00.
Bedroom:
The TV in the bedroom did not work. I called housekeeping, and had to call twice more before someone came after 40 min to fix the TV. Bizarrely, the TV channels in the bedroom could only be changed from the living room, so every time I wanted to skip to another channel in the bedroom, I had to go to the living room to change the channel. Furthermore the satellite TV system in the Tribe hotel is a bouquet of channels called, “Zuku TV” and may not appeal to everyone. The movie channels were mainly Asian and Bollywood movies, and local made African movies with only 1 other international movie channel that worked. There was also no CNN news, but it had Press TV, an Iranian news channel. The next morning the TV was again not working. This time, none of the staff could get the TV to work. I was told they require a password, and the only man who had the password was out of the hotel and could not be reached. And that was that, no further TV for me for the rest of my stay in the hotel!
Bathroom:
I naturally could not wait to have a nice long hot bath (the reason why I upgraded to the Presidential Suite). Pity there was no hot water in my bathroom!! 30 Min and several calls later, the plumber came. He informed me that my room was very far from the boiler and that I had to run the water until it gets hot. I turned open the tap and let the water run for 20 min, but still no hot water. He suggested I let it run some more, which I did, but after an additional 10 min he agreed with me that there was no hot water and that he would look into it the next day. I had to be content with a cold shower! No hot water in the Presidential Suite!? When they finally fixed the hot water, the next day I looked forward to take my long awaited bath. Note to all normal sized guests: The bottom of the bathtub was ridiculously small. Seriously, I have a small physique, 5 ft 2 in tall, but I had to sit in the bath with my knees up to my chin, found it just too difficult to wash, and had to move back to the dreaded shower.
Internet:
The username and password that the receptionist gave me did not work. After I called reception a couple of times, and tried other passwords she gave me which also did not work, she promised the IT guy would bring me a cable instead. He came, only problem was, there was no port for the local area connection cable in the entire suite! He eventually found the right password for the wireless and I connected to the Internet. But it was so slow it was simply impossible to work on it. Emails wouldn’t go through, Internet websites won’t open. I gave up.
Bar fridge:
Poorly stocked with only a packet of crisps, nuts and Coke. No beer, wine or other spirits and neither other soft drinks nor water of any kind.
Bedroom:
Although I accept it may be simply personal taste and choice... but as someone who practically lives in hotels, the bedroom was a huge disappointment. The little bedside tables were cheap round cane furniture tables with rough tops. No drawers. One cannot put a glass with water on the top, it tumbles over. There were no bedside lamps either. One has to switch off the main headlight, and once you hit that switch, all the lights in the suite go off at once. There was no dressing table or any other type of work table or desk in the bedroom (or any other place in the suite).
The living room:
The formerly cream coloured lounge chairs were terribly dirty, stained all over and had a musty smell.
The coffee making facility was stocked with a kettle, instant coffee and powder milk.
There was a dining room table, but no electric sockets near the table to power your laptop.
Dining:
The buffet lunch on Sunday had a very poor selection for choice. I decided to instead take the poolside BBQ, but after I waited 15 min for fries and burgers standing plate in hand with 3 other guests waiting in front of me, the waiter then promised he would bring it to me at my table. But this never happened, and when I went back to get it myself after another 15 min, he had given it away to other guests! Other angry guests were complaining of having to wait 20 min for their meat. The carrot cake on the desert table was dry like cardboard and inedible.
and THE UGLY:
During my stay, every time I complained, I asked the receptionist to call the hotel manager on duty or at least to send a message to the hotel manager about my concerns. The manager never came, never called and never replied to my messages. While checking out, the receptionist said she hoped I had a good stay. I said no, I had a terrible stay and the hotel will not see me again. She continued to give me my receipt without any indication that she heard me, and said she hoped to see me again soon!
The next day I received an email from the Tribe hotel Guest Relations with a thank you note for staying at their hotel, and that they hope their accommodations and services met my expectations. And they look forward to seeing me again soon. Unbelievable!
Even so, I thought I should rather try to address my complaints personally with them via email. Hence I replied to their email, voicing my complaints in strong terms, and said I will not stay at the Tribe again. Like my previous complaints, that has obviously fallen on deaf ears, because 10 days later no one has come back to me, not the manager, neither guest relations. As last resort, I therefore decided to share my horrible experience with other potential guests of the Tribe Hotel in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Avoid the Presidential Suite at all cost!