“Very very good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #11 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Very very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for a night and loved every bit about the hotel, receptionist smiling and attending to you attentively. The restaurants are detailed and staff excellent! Jesse and Cynthia were great will definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights here at the beginning of our honeymoon. This is a truly excellent hotel. The member of staff who showed us to our room even checked that the TV was working and when the remote needed fixing they swiftly went to get a new one/fix it and returned within minutes. The little touches made this hotel very special to us like a sincere card congratulating us on our wedding along with a bottle of sparkling wine and amazing hand-made chocolates. On our second day a bunch of red roses was waiting in the room too. We both went for massages and were put in a couples treatment room. Without a doubt the best massage I have ever had. There was a wide choice for breakfast and it was of a very high quality. We ate in the hotel one night and this was excellent. The hotel is in the ex-pat area of Nairobi and right next to a shopping centre. We were very impressed with the level of security surrounding the hotel and felt very safe. The only niggle was on checkout an extra $325 had been added onto our bill for what looked like an excursion...granted we did go on some excursions, and I am not sure if this has anything to do with the mistake being made, but these were all booked and paid for through trailfinders before we arrived so we were very disappointed to have to essentially explain ourselves to the manager but it was all sorted out eventually so be sure to take a careful look at your bill on check-out. This is why I have only given 4 stars, otherwise it would have been 5.

New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a lovely place. We were only there overnight twice, but the food was good, the service was good and the place is beautiful. The bath towels could be a bit more plush but that is a very small thing to worry about.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent a great weekend at the Tribe Hotel. The hotel combines a cool modern vibe with a sense of great comfort. The rooms also reflected this. One of the best nights of sleep I've had at a hotel, and a great space to just relax in. The staff got the balance between friendliness and unobtrusiveness perfectly right. We had dinner at their restaurant, Jiko, one of our nights and the local lamb (which I had) was done perfectly.

Next time I'm in Nairobi, I'll definitely be staying with them again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
I stayed 2 nights at the Tribe Hotel in Nairobi, 6+7 October 2012 and was hugely disappointed and frustrated beyond believe. I will never stay there again.
THE GOOD:
The Tribe is one of the trendiest looking hotels in Nairobi, and that is where it ends.
THE BAD:
Reception:
Staff at reception got it down to a fine art to ignore you completely. I was not even acknowledged with a quick glance. I felt completely invisible.
Although I requested a room with a bathtub during my reservation, the room given to me had only a shower, so I requested another room with a bathtub, but the receptionist told me they were fully booked, but added that if I really wanted a “bathtub” they have the presidential suite available.
I was dead tired after a very long flight plus a tiresome 2 hour drive from the airport to the hotel, desperate for a hot bath and a good rest. So I agreed to stay in the presidential suite. My nightmare started. The receptionist asked me to wait in the lobby lounge because the suite was not ready yet. I went back to the reception several times to enquire, every time I was told it would be ready soon and every time I went back to the lobby to continue waiting. It took more than hour to check in. This was after 17:00.
Bedroom:
The TV in the bedroom did not work. I called housekeeping, and had to call twice more before someone came after 40 min to fix the TV. Bizarrely, the TV channels in the bedroom could only be changed from the living room, so every time I wanted to skip to another channel in the bedroom, I had to go to the living room to change the channel. Furthermore the satellite TV system in the Tribe hotel is a bouquet of channels called, “Zuku TV” and may not appeal to everyone. The movie channels were mainly Asian and Bollywood movies, and local made African movies with only 1 other international movie channel that worked. There was also no CNN news, but it had Press TV, an Iranian news channel. The next morning the TV was again not working. This time, none of the staff could get the TV to work. I was told they require a password, and the only man who had the password was out of the hotel and could not be reached. And that was that, no further TV for me for the rest of my stay in the hotel!
Bathroom:
I naturally could not wait to have a nice long hot bath (the reason why I upgraded to the Presidential Suite). Pity there was no hot water in my bathroom!! 30 Min and several calls later, the plumber came. He informed me that my room was very far from the boiler and that I had to run the water until it gets hot. I turned open the tap and let the water run for 20 min, but still no hot water. He suggested I let it run some more, which I did, but after an additional 10 min he agreed with me that there was no hot water and that he would look into it the next day. I had to be content with a cold shower! No hot water in the Presidential Suite!? When they finally fixed the hot water, the next day I looked forward to take my long awaited bath. Note to all normal sized guests: The bottom of the bathtub was ridiculously small. Seriously, I have a small physique, 5 ft 2 in tall, but I had to sit in the bath with my knees up to my chin, found it just too difficult to wash, and had to move back to the dreaded shower.
Internet:
The username and password that the receptionist gave me did not work. After I called reception a couple of times, and tried other passwords she gave me which also did not work, she promised the IT guy would bring me a cable instead. He came, only problem was, there was no port for the local area connection cable in the entire suite! He eventually found the right password for the wireless and I connected to the Internet. But it was so slow it was simply impossible to work on it. Emails wouldn’t go through, Internet websites won’t open. I gave up.
Bar fridge:
Poorly stocked with only a packet of crisps, nuts and Coke. No beer, wine or other spirits and neither other soft drinks nor water of any kind.
Bedroom:
Although I accept it may be simply personal taste and choice... but as someone who practically lives in hotels, the bedroom was a huge disappointment. The little bedside tables were cheap round cane furniture tables with rough tops. No drawers. One cannot put a glass with water on the top, it tumbles over. There were no bedside lamps either. One has to switch off the main headlight, and once you hit that switch, all the lights in the suite go off at once. There was no dressing table or any other type of work table or desk in the bedroom (or any other place in the suite).
The living room:
The formerly cream coloured lounge chairs were terribly dirty, stained all over and had a musty smell.
The coffee making facility was stocked with a kettle, instant coffee and powder milk.
There was a dining room table, but no electric sockets near the table to power your laptop.
Dining:
The buffet lunch on Sunday had a very poor selection for choice. I decided to instead take the poolside BBQ, but after I waited 15 min for fries and burgers standing plate in hand with 3 other guests waiting in front of me, the waiter then promised he would bring it to me at my table. But this never happened, and when I went back to get it myself after another 15 min, he had given it away to other guests! Other angry guests were complaining of having to wait 20 min for their meat. The carrot cake on the desert table was dry like cardboard and inedible.
and THE UGLY:
During my stay, every time I complained, I asked the receptionist to call the hotel manager on duty or at least to send a message to the hotel manager about my concerns. The manager never came, never called and never replied to my messages. While checking out, the receptionist said she hoped I had a good stay. I said no, I had a terrible stay and the hotel will not see me again. She continued to give me my receipt without any indication that she heard me, and said she hoped to see me again soon!
The next day I received an email from the Tribe hotel Guest Relations with a thank you note for staying at their hotel, and that they hope their accommodations and services met my expectations. And they look forward to seeing me again soon. Unbelievable!
Even so, I thought I should rather try to address my complaints personally with them via email. Hence I replied to their email, voicing my complaints in strong terms, and said I will not stay at the Tribe again. Like my previous complaints, that has obviously fallen on deaf ears, because 10 days later no one has come back to me, not the manager, neither guest relations. As last resort, I therefore decided to share my horrible experience with other potential guests of the Tribe Hotel in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Avoid the Presidential Suite at all cost!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Wanderer857,

Thank you for your review dated October 15, 2012.

First of all, please accept our sincere apologies for what should not have reflected our standard Tribe Experience.

We failed you, and your candid feedback on Trip Advisor is highly valued. Please be assured that I have personally addressed all the issues highlighted with the relevant departments. A specific action plan including the upgrade of our TV system, changing of furniture, and an improved Wi-Fi management program is diligently being executed.

I am ashamed that we did not address your feedback in a proactive and timely manner. I will be contacting you directly to personally apologize once again.

Michael Flint
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Tribe Hotel is a very modern, comfortable and convenient hotel near the US Embassy and the UN Compound in Nairobi. The customer service is fabulous, especially the Concierge (Rosanne). The front desk took excellent care of us--and we were there for a total of 10 days. Our stay included a beautiful buffet breakfast with eggs and waffles to order. Dinner was fabulous---try the Pumpkin Soup and the Red Snapper. Joshua was just one example of a friendly and knowledgeable server. The hotel arranged for a car and driver to take us through the Nairobi National Park. In a half-day, we saw more animals than I did spending a week in Botswana earlier this year, including Black and White Rhino, Lion, etc... Be sure to stay at the Tribe over a Friday so that you can go to the craft market just next door. I heard that the Spa is great but we didn't get a chance to experience it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Tribe Hotel for one night in early September. We had an overnight in Nairobi prior to an international flight. The hotel is very upscale and trendy. It has a lot of glass, angles and cool architecture.

We were given room 037. It's located in the lower level. While the room was lovely, it was small and a bit claustrophobic for me. I would recommend requesting a room on a higher floor if you don't like feeling closed off. The bed was very comfortable. Our bath consisted of a large stand-up shower with open glass and glass door. We ordered room service and while the food was good, they messed up the order and didn't give us everything we ordered but charged us for it. When I called back, I told them about this and asked them to just take it off the bill, they said they can't because they already closed out the bill. But they said they would bring us the items they omitted, but never did. Not cool. This should've been taken care of promptly. We were never credited for this. For a hotel of this quality/price, this should've been taken care of.

There was a restaurant, spa and outdoor pool on the lower level. They both looked nice, but we didn't use any of these facilities.

This hotel is conveniently located in a very nice area of Nairobi next to an upscale shopping center with movie theatres, restaurants, etc...

Very nice property, but overpriced. Service we did receive wasn't the best.

Room Tip: If you're claustrophobic, choose a room on a higher level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!