“Kaya Spa - Ultra Relaxing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #13 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi
“Kaya Spa - Ultra Relaxing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I went today for first time to the Spa at The tribe Hotel, I took the Thai Massage, and was worth every cent paid. Initially I thought it was a little pricey, but wanted to pamper myself and got an appointment.
From the start the place gives you a very relaxing ambiance and staff are very nice. The therapist is from Thailand and certainly knows what she does:All stiffness and soreness was gone after the ultra relaxing one-hour massage.
More relax even coming at the end with the water with orange and the tea and fruits at the end.
A nice warm shower with very good quality products complement the therapy and the relax.

This time I didn't use the complimentary sauna and steam time, but will do next time... certainly this will not be a one off thing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Tried to go to this roof top bar and there were no signs to say it was closed for a private function... So we were embarrassingly thrown out! I mentioned to the front desk staff that they should put a sign to let people know when it was closed and she rolled her eyes like I was stupid.

Then we sat for 35 mins before being served corked champagne in the downstairs bar!

• Stayed September 2012
Norwich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Tribe gets great reviews. I can see why. Its pretentiousness, modernity and trendy décor will attract some – but not me. The rooms have fancy lighting and modern gizmos. If you don’t have problems from their endemic overbooking, you may well quite like staying at The Tribe, even though it is situated in what looks like a rubbish dump and builder’s yard in the back streets to the UN Complex area at Gigiri outside Nairobi. You risk gettng caught in horrendous traffic jams if you need to cross the city if, for example, you need to get to the airport. Leave plenty of time.

On arrival after a long flight to Nairobi Airport, six of us, all booked at the Tribe were greeted by a driver to the joyful announcement that “we will be staying at another hotel for the first night only”. Loyalty to (or fear of ) his employer made him reluctant to admit the real reason – the hotel is greedy and has endemic overbooking. We were made to stand in the Arrivals Hall at JKIA for nearly 1.5 hours until the last overbooked guest had arrived, and then were crammed (literally) – with luggage on our laps - into a Tribe Minibus to be sent through the night to an obscure golf course hotel way outside Nairobi. The Tribe had the gall to charge each of us $35 for this so-called transfer to the wrong hotel. That was a fine money spinner for them. A local taxi would have been half the amount – and in far greater comfort.

The next day a taxi took us back to the Tribe. Seeing as I was there on business, this quite ruined my first day of three. Was there any apology from management at the time – no! The front desk staff were fine and obviously embarrassed – but as for the management and the booking staff, they were cavalier in their attitude. Only when Iasked for an apology was an assistant manager winkled out of a back room. I was told confidentially by one staff that they had overbooked by eleven that Sunday night I had arrived, and had also been overbooked five times in the past fortnight. So beware – this is a problem that could happen to you.

To rub salt into my wound, I did an internet dummy booking on the hotel that I was sent to on the first night. If booking in advance, I could have got that hotel for much less than I was charged by the Tribe. I did complain and all I got by way of recompense was a publicity folder worth a few dollars to add to my luggage. I was offered a free massage but did not have the time to avail myself of it. But at check-out I still had to pay their rates for every night as well as the outrageous amount for a transfer to the wrong place. I will let you read other reviews for the plus points of the hotel. But for me, a frequent traveller to Nairobi, I will prefer to stay elsewhere every time. The Tribe needs de-tribalising and brought into the real world of people who stay in hotels not out of choice but because they have to for their work.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Sox299,

Thank you for your review dated September 15, 2012.

At Tribe, we strive to maintain a benchmark of excellence in every aspect of our offerings. It is constructive criticism like yours that will help us achieve this.

I would like to apologize for our unusual overbooking situation. I can assure you that I am personally addressing our shortcomings with all the relevant departments.

Not only did your experience fall short of your expectations but of ours as well.

I thank you for taking the time in writing this review and expressing your concerns. Your feedback is highly valued and each point raised has been taken very seriously and measures are being put in place to avoid this happening again.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you once more at Tribe. I kindly request that you contact me directly the next time you plan to come to Nairobi.

Kind Regards,

Michael Flint
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night, after arriving in Nairobi and before heading to Masai Mara for safari. When you first arrive here, excitement builds regarding what you believe will be an exceptional experience. Unfortunately, the excitement soon ends once you discover that this place isn't what you think (and hope) it will be.

Let's start with the room. It smells like mold. Clearly the A/C has mold in it, which creates the smell. There is also mold in the grout between many of the tiles in the bathroom. And some of these same tiles are cracked and haven't been replaced. The faucet is loose. A light bulb is burned out. All things you certainly don't expect to see/experience at a "5 star" hotel.

Then there's the service. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but they are not warm. At all. I don't know if they are "trying" to be a bit pretentious in order to create an air of sophistication, or if they are just a bit rude. Whatever, the case, I don't like it. Doesn't make me feel comfortable. In fact, makes me want to leave.

Probably the single biggest redeeming quality of this hotel is the breakfast. It's exceptional. The buffet offers a very wide array of options, all of which are tasty and fresh. The service, albeit a bit slow, is good. Plenty of staff to serve. And the coffee is fantastic.

But when it comes to equating cost vs benefit at this hotel, I'm afraid I'm not feeling the value. I don't mind paying a bit extra when I get a bit extra in return. But at this place, I'm paying a bit extra and just not feeling it. Net, I won't return, nor would I recommend it to others. It's not a "bad" place. But it's also not a "great" place. And it's certainly NOT 5 stars!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Eilig,

Thank you for your review dated September 14, 2012.

First and foremost thank you very much for your compliments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings and Kenyan coffee!

Your experience with our service staff is highly unacceptable. We take pride in our hospitality, a standard practice at Tribe is for all our guests to be treated with respect and made to feel at home. Therefore, there is no reason for you to have been made to feel uncomfortable. I have addressed this issue with our Human Resources Department to ensure that all training programmes are revisited and revised.

We currently have procedures in place to check details in the room prior to guest arrivals, I apologize that our system failed us and we were unable to deliver a room at our usual standard. Furthermore, I apologize for the smell in the room; we have since performed scheduled maintenance to eradicate the smell.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again and change your perception of Tribe.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you plan to visit Kenya.

Kind Regards,

Michael Flint
Forked River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Very trendy hotel.. The service was stellar. I had a very early flight and explained that upon check-in, they immediately set up a take away breakfast for me. The food at the Restaurant was delicious- steak filet cooked perfectly. Security was very good as you would expect in the area it is located.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the best Spa treatment i have ever experienced. Well worth the price! My masseuse was very professional, worked every knot in my back, hands and feet. Well worth the price. The aromas were inviting and the rooms were clean and very modern. The massage started off with a coffee scented rub, followed by a shower then a chocolate cream polish , after which i got the best massage. It left me relaxed and glowing. I will def go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Nest bar and restaurant within the Tribe has a great atmposphere for having a couple of drinks with friends and smoking some shisha.However, I recently noticed that the reception you get-and I have been there several times- depends on the people you are with.I would get a very warm welcome when in the company of my white friends....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!