“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tribe Hotel to your Saves list
Tribe Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road | The Village Market, Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #13 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
VA
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here for a week on a recent visit to Nairobi and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It is a very safe hotel with excellent customer service. The rooms are more than adequate and the art displayed throughout the hotel is stunning. It is also conveniently located right across the village center mall which is full of several shops and eating places. Make sure you check out the Masai market which comes every Friday on the mall parking lot.

The hotel is able to arrange various day trips to various safaris in and around Nairobi.

It would be great if each room had an iron. Having said that, one was immediately provided for me upon request.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Located adjacent to an upscale shopping mall - African style - we found The Tribe Hotel to be comfortable, convenient and safe. The staff was very helpful in making recommendations, and even found a tour guide/driver for us for a one day photography safari. The mall features vendors selling their own products in the open air as well as restaurants, a food court and other shopping. Our room was quite large and modern, and it was cleaned and maintained well during our stay. Breakfast was served with both buffet options and custom orders. We usually opted for fresh fruit and a cooked entree. We were here for over two weeks, and would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Our colleagues who were close to the restaurant/bar had a problem with noise. Although the staff tol...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is another excellent place to stay in while in Nairobi. Do not miss! The architecture, attitude, atmosphere, it all reflects the new Kenya, standing firm and proud! Make sure to be a part of, it if only for a night. Quite an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I always base my opinion on hotels as regards value for money. I recently stopped over for one night at the Tribe Hotel and thought it was the worst value for money I’ve ever experienced. $315 for one night without breakfast, windows not sufficient to keep out the noise, all night long, of the busy Limuru Road adjacent to the hotel, hotel employees knocking on the door believing I was someone else and on checking out, in answer to the usual “did you sleep well?” I said that I’d actually been quite ill and therefore couldn’t honestly say I’d slept well, to which I got the customary big smile and the reply “glad you’re feeling better now (I never said that) and that you enjoyed your stay (or that!) and we look forward to seeing you again soon.” Seriously!! However, as this is the first negative review I’ve written anywhere of any hotel (and that makes me feel a little uncomfortable) I’d like to emphasise that I don’t consider Tribe to be a terrible hotel, rather just terrible value for money. The restaurant, although the menu is rather limited, in my opinion serves well thought-out and well executed dishes made with quality ingredients. The service there seems both more professional and more genuinely friendly and, in total contrast to the hotel, it is good value for money compared to all the other hotel restaurants in Nairobi I’ve experienced to date.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far as possible from the adjacent Limuru Road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed at the Tribe hotel for a total of three (3) nights and I really have to honor the hotel with top marks, especially when considering that it is located in Nairobi! In fact it is located in the Gigiri area (Diplomatic district) that is nice and safe if a bit far from the center. It is truly a boutique hotel with very good contemporary design, tasteful African art pieces, excellent food and top notch bathroom amenities (Damiana). My only warning would be that if you travel with someone with whom you are not intimate, be aware that the bathroom is not really separated from the bedroom and therefore "noises" cannot be isolated... The staff is attentive and helpful thus offering an excellent service. If in Nairobi again, I shall definitely stay at the Tribe hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Tribe the first week of July. It was a wonderful stay in a stylish and posh hotel. Here are a few observations and tips for this time of year:

1. Amenities: The entire hotel is decorated in modern African chic. Our room was beautifully appointed with 2 very comfortable beds, large flat panel tv, desk, armoire and programmable safe. The bathroom was in the European style (I was told by another guest). There was only a sliding glass door separating the shower and toilet from the rest of the room. Although it was a frosted door, it was much less privacy than I am used to (we’ve stayed in many North American hotels) but we adjusted. There is a nice fitness center, business center with internet, outdoor pool (looked beautiful but we were too busy to take advantage of it), gift shop and bar/restaurant. There is also a luxurious spa next to the business center and although I didn’t use it, I knew 2 other guests who had excellent massages and pedicures there.
2. Service: Prior to the trip, I had email exchanges with Carole and Moses and both were very helpful in securing our room and airport transfers. All of the staff was friendly and welcomed us with smiles and greetings. We came at a particularly busy time (well, it looked like it was a full hotel) so it took a bit longer than we expected for some items (perhaps we had not adjusted to “Africa time” as another guest suggested, we were informed that things move at a slower pace and to just be patient?) Either way, we staff members were attentive, friendly and provided what we needed.
3. Food: We ordered room service, had breakfast in Jiko and also lunch at the bar. All of our food was wonderful.
4. Sightseeing/activities: There is the Village Market mall across the parking lot from the Tribe. It has a supermarket, bank, food court and shops.
David Sheldrick Elephant orphanage was a great way to see baby elephants up close. This is an orphanage and they want to re-introduce the elephants to the wild so they restrict the visiting hours. It’s only for an hour on certain days so check the website or with the concierge. We also visited the Giraffe Centre. This was a lot of fun for the kids as they were able to feed and pet the giraffes.
Shopping at the Triangular Market. Prepare to haggle! I found the whole bargaining process a bit intimidating but others in my group enjoyed it immensely. We all left happy with our bags of souvenirs. We were told not to take valuables, hold tight to purses and the like; I think because we were in a large group (maybe 15) and we shopped in at least pairs, we did not have any problems. There was a security guy that broke up a cluster of the more aggressive shopkeepers so we really had no problems.

All in all, our stay at the Tribe and in Nairobi was fantastic. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed for the night at The Tribe, room was nice. Very clean. Had trouble controlling the aircon though...... And wondered about the lack of turn down service??? Great bath and toiletry products, nice mood lighting. We were pleasantly surprised to have received an upgrade.....thank you Tribe
Had also booked a treatment at the Kaya Spa. Very professional and thoughtful staff performing the treatment. Really enjoyed it. Will definitely recommend and return for another any day!!!!!
Dinner at The Jiko was marvelous. We had salmon and pork chops that evening. Lovely lovely lovely!!! The cocktails were well made too, commendable. Liked that the restaurant is open to as late as 1030p.m.
Breakfast at The Jiko, marvelous! Was so refreshing to get such a wide and different variety to chose from. Who would have thought sushi would taste so good in the morning!!! The coffee was really well brewed-not many places can make coffee taste so good. Thumbs up on the breakfast. Actually thumbs up for the restaurant.
Check out took a bit longer than I expected but was done in such a pleasant way, didn't really mind.
Even the security guard at the gate was really friendly, begging us to come back each time we left;-)
Wlking distance to a well equipped mall, the Village Market.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tribe Hotel? Share your experiences!