“Good (almost exclusively expatriate) hangout” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 19 Coffee & Tea in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Israel
“Good (almost exclusively expatriate) hangout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I visited the Artcaffe locations at the Westgate Mall as well as the Village Market Mall recently. I give them an overall very good rating mostly because they are somewhat of an oasis in a town where there are not too many comfort zones outside the luxury hotels. They are great for a cup of coffee with the morning papers (the coffee was fine). The pastries are not bad at all (the cinnamon role didn't give me heartburn...) and the food offerings are more than acceptable. I didn't run into any problems concerning hygiene or spoiled food. All in all I find the atmosphere welcoming and the service level reasonable for an often crowded venue. I guess that if you are really in a hurry, the service might at times seem slow or distracted, although I didn't get that feeling. My experience is that this is probably par for the course in many Nairobi cafes.
To sum it up, don't go there for a gourmet experience. I doubt that even they make that claim. But it is an inviting, safe and positive place to while away some time, to work on your computer (free wifi!) and to people watch.
As at many similar places in upscale settings in Nairobi, the preponderance of customers are expatriates and foreigners of one ilk or another - all being served by locals. Those are still the unfortunate facts of life. Since I don't think that I can change that singlehandedly, I will be going back to the Artcaffes whenever I visit Nairobi.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank wolfman50

Nairobi, Kenya
“Average food, spotty service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The food at artcaffe isn't terrible, but neither is it anything special. The service can be either really good or really poor. I think it just depends on your luck.

They do have free wifi though and it's a nice place to work if you're looking for a cafe setting.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Jason L
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The food and ambience was excellent. I actually set up my laptop and worked all day while listening to a jazz band that played later in the day.

Visited April 2013
“average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

takes ages to get the bill and the food. twice my food was lukwarm or almost cold and again little food for lots of money. Coffee is better by Java or Dormann

Visited February 2013
6 Thank Brian B
Brussels
“Very good place for lunch or to work with you computer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I often to the one at Nakumatt Junction. I like the outdoor seating, but it also has a very nice indoor. By the way, the one at the Tribe Village is really really nice, but just further away.
Food: I sincerely had one the best pizzas ever in this place. The rest of the food is between ok and good. I did not like the Nicoise salad at all, but that was the only thing I avoid carefully now.
Other than that, it's an excellent place to go if you need to work on your laptop, as there is wi-fi internet and power sockets everywhere, indoor and outdoor.

• Visited April 2013