“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani
You added Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani to your Saves list
Ndemi Close, Ndemi Rd, Nairobi 15006-00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #16 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

What friendly, helpful staff and delicious food! An excellent stay not far from Junction shopping centre if you choose to go out for meals. Also very quick and easy to get into town. The accommodation is fairly basic, but clean and comfortable. I stayed in one of the rooms with shared bathroom facilities, but was lucky enough not to have anyone staying in any of the other rooms. I would highly recommend Sandavy to any traveler.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Cannot say enough about this place and the people who work here. If you're an independent traveller, you'll find Sandavy a lovely and safe place to stay Nairobi.

Three tips (1) if you want to avoid the pricey safari tour operators, and looking for something more personalised at a budget price, David can arrange personal drivers who can take you to all game-parks e.g. Mara, Navasha etc. We went with Issac - who was brilliant ! Try to get your hands on a Landrover it will take you places the white vans cannot reach;) (2) If you can handle not booking in advance, David is well connected with hotel operators in Kenya, and he can organize a good deal - especially when they're not busy (3) If you're looking to get under the skin of Kenya, ask your driver to take you take you to the non-tourist spots like Kibera, the many orphanges, or local restaurants - a fantastic experience. Six Stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have stayed at Sandavy on Ndemi Close multiple times, and with both big groups and by myself. This location is great -- guests can walk to multiple shopping centers, and it is a relatively easy drive (within the context of the infamous traffic of the city) to a wide variety of wonderful locales. David, Sandy, and staff have been great and flexible over the many years I have visited Kenya and stayed there (dozens of times over 8 years). The food is tasty and the chef accommodates various dietary preferences -- just give him advanced notice. There is wireless internet access, too. Sandavy also arranges for local transport and longer tours. I have used their transport services, and I have recommended them to many friends who have greatly enjoyed the safaris Sandavy has put together. I highly recommend this location for many reasons.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

east coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I've stayed here before and it is one of my first choices for B&B in Nairobi. It is in a quiet neighborhood, within walking distance to basic shops and restaurants (Adams Arcade and beyond), on the same side of town as the airport, is very clean and has very friendly staff. The food is fine, nothing extra-ordinary, but fine. It's a converted private house, with garden, which gives a nice home-y feel. While I have never been bothered by noisy groups of guests, the set-up (private house) may mean that you may hear other guests talking or moving about (mostly in the morning or evenings), and the doors in Kenyan homes are not made to close and lock very quietly. Lucky for me, this was not a problem at all: my recent stay was the quietest night I have ever spent in Nairobi. Sandavy does tend to get groups of young people (students, volunteers) in the northern hemisphere summer time, and they do sometimes "take over". The owners could probably deal with this better, by either warning other guests at booking time, and/or alerting group leaders to the need for more consideration in a guest-house environment. If you are a prospective guest and want to avoid this scenario (but not all groups are especially noisy), you could ask to ensure that no group will be present at the same time as you. All in all, I do recommend Sandavy enthusiastically.

Room Tip: See their photographs: the rooms differ, some quite tiny, others much larger -- and price varies acc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've stayed here on several occasions in 2012 and am now back in 2013. It remains a lovely place to stay, within reasonable walking distance to Adams Arcade (which is getting better by the year). Many of the rooms have a shared bath in the hallway, sometimes shared with one other room, sometimes private to just one room, and sometimes shared with people from several rooms. They have a variety of room configurations, two of them that I can recall having double beds in them, one having two twin beds, and at least one room with some bunk beds, presumably for groups traveling through. An ample breakfast comes with the room, and prices have seemed reasonable to me. The staff and the owner/operator are all very friendly indeed, especially if you can manage some Swahili. Water and beer are available on an honors system in the dining room. David, the owner, also acts as a travel agent and can arrange safaris and or local flights for you. I'm hoping I'll be back again some future year, but for now I'll have several stays here in the course of a month in which I'll be traveling out of Nairobi to visit friends elsewhere in East Africa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Gates Of The Arctic National Park and Preserve, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had just finished our epic 9-day safari and the three of us wanted a restful, albeit short, night of sleep before our very early departure out of Kenya the next day. It was not to be.
The property of the b&b is very quaint, that is, if you can find it! No signs indicate the location of the b&b, and only after asking a handful of people on the street (and calling the b&b) did we snake our way to the entrance, two corners off of the street that it claims to be on.
With our first challenge behind us, we were met with baffled faces upon our arrival around 5pm and were asked to sit in the living room while the staff figured out what to do with us. This was surprising, since we had confirmed our reservation via email far in advance. After waiting for 15 minutes with no feedback, I had to speak to someone and inquired at the front desk: I was told they were setting the room up - after which I saw parts of a bed being carried to a back room. Some 30 minutes after our arrival, and no clear explanation for the delay, we were escorted to our room, the 'Lesser Flamingo Room'. Indeed.
The room was adequate for the short night and clean towels were supplied, as were flip flops. We were provided our own separate basic bathroom, which allowed us to take the much needed showers before our attempt to sleep for a few hours. I spoke with David (who was not there when we checked-in) who arrived later that evening: he did confirm that the mistake had been theirs - they gave the room that was intended for us to another last-minute booking, thus the circus act when we arrived at the b&b.
Sleep, and the conditions for rest, are sub-par, at best. The walls are paper thin, which means you can hear ants tip-toeing. And the other guests, perhaps we just had bad luck, simply did not take the concept of 'others' into account. We tolerated the banging of doors, loud voices, foot stomping for a while, after all, we did go to bed quite early, but soon had to say something to the less-than-considerate guests. Since it is a communal home, more signs, strategically placed, would help in outlining the expectations and rules of the house - respect for others, keeping voices at a humane level, etc would go a long way in curbing savage behavior. Check-in personnel could also simply tell all arriving customers that they need to take other guests into account. Proper preparation prevents poor performance.
We were up around 3am to catch our flight, and David did have two of his employees prepare us a small bag breakfast. We were also provided coffee upon request and the taxi to the airport (US$30) was organized by him.
But the sendoff did little to sweeten the already sour taste in our mouths. We will not be staying here again and cannot recommend it. It was doubly disappointing since we booked this b&b to get a more personal feel and experience and since many of the reviews had been so positive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David W, Owner at Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize once more for the inconvenience. After confirming your booking I reserved for you the only triple room the ‘violet backed starling’ but a new staff member erroneously put other clients into your room rather than the Lesser Flamingo Room. I did show you the booking log that showed you were supposed to be in that room but since it had been given out and used, there was little I could do but at that point.
After I was called about the mishap I requested they hurriedly try to fix the problem by adding another bed into the Lesser Flamingo room thus the delay. I can figure out how tired you were, the long wait and the bitterness thereof and I do regret and apologize again for that.
The walls are block concrete. The sound should have been permeating through the door, I am sorry too about the other inconsiderate guests and a part from highlighting the need to be considerate of others on the check in form – we are also emphasizing by word and there is a notice at the back of every room door to that effect.
Sandavy Kilimani might be a bit basic and below par on amenities and that is why we started the more upscale Sandavy Lavington which is more spacious, with more rooms 7 of which are en suite and 2 with private bath next to the door. There is also a swimming pool to relax. If there is a next time we would offer you a free night at Sandavy Lavington.
David (owner).
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I was traveling solo and was very happy when I saw my room The Greater Flamingo. It was clean, charming, airy and facing a well-kept garden. The place was quiet just as advertised. Pamela and Moses, the staff, were also very friendly.

But my luck turned bad when a group of local college girls accompanied by an older woman, perhaps their mentor, checked in and occupied the remaining rooms. They immediately took over the living room and turned it into a fitness studio using the tv/video in the room. After dinner they had a group discussion, which later turned into talks and laughs in very loud and penetrating voices, almost shouting, as if they were in a pub. I was practically denied access to the living room and the library next to it, so I went back to my room at the end corner. But their voices penetratrd so loudly I wasn't even able to read.

At 9:30 pm I called David the owner, who was away, to complain about the cacophony. He apologized, and a few minutes later the in-house staff closed the door between the living room/library and the rooms. This reduced the volume a bit but I still could hear voices and laughs, which kept on going until late. I slept wearing earplugs that night

The next morning after I came back from jogging but before I had a chance to take my breakfast, the group has already occupied the whole dining table, and they stayed there for an hour, again talking loudly. Moses the cook kindly offered to serve my breakfast in the library next to the dining room, but I couldn't take anymore of the noises and had my quiet breakfast at a nearby mall instead.

I decided to cut my stay short and moved somewhere else. I was so relieved to get out of there and didn't even bother to ask for compensation for sleep loss and unconsumed breakfast.

Sandavy may be a nice place but you need to be lucky by not having to share it with this kind of inconsiderate guests. The staff and owner could have prevented this incident by explaining to the guests the house rules and make sure they are observed and that the other guests are not disturbed.

Unless I travel with a group of people whom I know and we can take over the whole house, I will never come back here by myself because I know I am not that lucky.

• Stayed August 2013
This is one of the most regrettable incidences that have ever happened at Sandavy and we highly regret and apologize about it. It is not once or twice that we have sent away ‘groups’ with agendas not conforming but this lady walked in and booked a group of young girls only to realize later that it was supposed to be a 2 day retreat/mentorship.
When I heard they had moved furniture in the common room to make way for their video fitness I quickly went there and stopped it and emphasized the need to be considerate of other people but that must have done little to the ‘noise making’ afterwards. We have put vetting instruments in place and the nature of activities that do not interfere with other peoples stay.
Let me also suggest an ambient, better, serene and tranquil atmosphere at our new Sandavy Guest House in the upmarket Lavington area 7 min away from the older Sandavy Kilimani.
David (owner)

Been to Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani? Share your experiences!