“Maybe I was just unlucky” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani
Save Saved
You added Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani to your Saves list
Ndemi Close, Ndemi Rd, Nairobi 15006-00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #17 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“Maybe I was just unlucky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I was traveling solo and was very happy when I saw my room The Greater Flamingo. It was clean, charming, airy and facing a well-kept garden. The place was quiet just as advertised. Pamela and Moses, the staff, were also very friendly.

But my luck turned bad when a group of local college girls accompanied by an older woman, perhaps their mentor, checked in and occupied the remaining rooms. They immediately took over the living room and turned it into a fitness studio using the tv/video in the room. After dinner they had a group discussion, which later turned into talks and laughs in very loud and penetrating voices, almost shouting, as if they were in a pub. I was practically denied access to the living room and the library next to it, so I went back to my room at the end corner. But their voices penetratrd so loudly I wasn't even able to read.

At 9:30 pm I called David the owner, who was away, to complain about the cacophony. He apologized, and a few minutes later the in-house staff closed the door between the living room/library and the rooms. This reduced the volume a bit but I still could hear voices and laughs, which kept on going until late. I slept wearing earplugs that night

The next morning after I came back from jogging but before I had a chance to take my breakfast, the group has already occupied the whole dining table, and they stayed there for an hour, again talking loudly. Moses the cook kindly offered to serve my breakfast in the library next to the dining room, but I couldn't take anymore of the noises and had my quiet breakfast at a nearby mall instead.

I decided to cut my stay short and moved somewhere else. I was so relieved to get out of there and didn't even bother to ask for compensation for sleep loss and unconsumed breakfast.

Sandavy may be a nice place but you need to be lucky by not having to share it with this kind of inconsiderate guests. The staff and owner could have prevented this incident by explaining to the guests the house rules and make sure they are observed and that the other guests are not disturbed.

Unless I travel with a group of people whom I know and we can take over the whole house, I will never come back here by myself because I know I am not that lucky.

• Stayed August 2013
David W, Owner at Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
This is one of the most regrettable incidences that have ever happened at Sandavy and we highly regret and apologize about it. It is not once or twice that we have sent away ‘groups’ with agendas not conforming but this lady walked in and booked a group of young girls only to realize later that it was supposed to be a 2 day retreat/mentorship.
When I heard they had moved furniture in the common room to make way for their video fitness I quickly went there and stopped it and emphasized the need to be considerate of other people but that must have done little to the ‘noise making’ afterwards. We have put vetting instruments in place and the nature of activities that do not interfere with other peoples stay.
Let me also suggest an ambient, better, serene and tranquil atmosphere at our new Sandavy Guest House in the upmarket Lavington area 7 min away from the older Sandavy Kilimani.
David (owner)

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

When we arrived at the Sandavy Guest House we found a warm welcome from Marietta. Almost instantly we felt that we could relax, as if we were in the home of a friend or family. Marietta continued to make us feel at home by helping us in several different ways such as laundering several clothing items for us even though it was already late at night and making arrangements for a driver the next day.

Our room was clean and comfortable with a private bath. We even had a balcony. The grounds were spacious and attractive with several places to sit and relax. We were far enough from the city center that city noise was no problem. Breakfast was a smorgasbord of several different breakfast foods, so we left for the day well fed.

You can be sure that when we return to Nairobi, we will be making our reservations at the Sandavy Guest House. Great accommodations and even better staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just left Kenya a week ago after an incredible family holiday. We were based out of Sandavy Guesthouse which offers clean, basic accommodation and lovely staff. David was exceptional at helping to arrange our very specific trip and we are very grateful for his expertise and understanding. All 3 drivers we were with, James, Issac and Charles were excellent. We spent the most time with James on safari and around Kenya. We received expert help in the game parks and safe, knowledgable driving on the crazy roads of Kenya. Thank you to the entire Sandavy team!

Room Tip: Most rooms do not have a private bathroom. Get ready for hard beds throughout Kenya and always chall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you too for your wonderful and positive feedback.

We have opened a new branch of Sandavy on Mugumo Road in Lavington. All room are en suite except 2 which have private baths next to their entrance doors.

Regards,
David (owner)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We only stayed two nights at this quaint Guest house but had a great experience
in a very short time.
Everyone made us feel very welcome! Moses the chef prepared a tasty
vegetarian dinner for us one night & we had nice breakfasts with good
fruit and coffee. The location was quiet and peaceful with lovely gardens
and the rooms were clean and adequately furnished.
We really loved the safari arranged for us- we saw so much-even saw lions
which I understand is rare and the weather was so perfect. James our
driver was very accomodating & easy to talk to, and Issac, our driver
for our second day was so much fun to be with & gave us lots of information,
very knowledgeable. We felt very safe and cared for with both drivers and
really appreciated that!
The owner David had recommended the Carnivore Restaurant for our
last night, even though we don't eat meat we had a great Vegetarian
dinner and loved the experience of going to this famous restaurant, it was
very entertaining.
Would highly recommend this B&B to our friends and family and hope to
go back another time!

Room Tip: we stayed in the greater Flamingo room, which had a private bath. Not many of the other rooms did o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Varberg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sandavy Guest house is a perfect place to stay while in Nairobi given that you don't need to stay in the middle of the city. I've stayed here many times since 2007, both with my family and with different groups of students, and I have never been disappointed. David and his staff are always treating you with utmost care and with great hospitality and it's like coming home when you arrive. The rooms are nice and clean and have everything you need and an extra bed can always be arranged if needed. The common living room is spacious and have both free wifi and television and the garden is a real treat to sit and relax in. Fresh seasonal fruit is always included in the breakfast which varies from pancakes, french toast, ham & eggs, scrambled eggs to cereal and toast. Other meals may be arranged upon request and Moses vegetable lasagne is a real treat! There is always someone around to help or answer questions if needed or recommend activities. Sandavy arranges pick-up and transportation from the airport which is an advantage since the traffic in Nairobi can be hectic. The guest house is situated off Ngong Road in a secluded and relaxing neighbourhood and once there the bus stop is within walking distance. However, if you don't have your own vehicle I would recommend a cab if you're travelling longer distances. They have also arranged Safaris for us over the years, all to a reasonable price, and while away we've left our excess luggage in their safe storage room, there is always a guard watching over the premises. I will definitely stay at Sandavys next time I'm in Nairobi and I can highly recommend the guest house to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Sandavy guesthouse is a fantastic place to stay if you're on a budget and want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Situated in a peaceful garden, this guesthouse offers very homely accommodation and very friendly service. We stayed in the Greater Flamingo room which is an en suite double room: spacious, light and clean. Breakfast (included) was vey good - the French toast is recommended! We will stay here again if we're back in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Greater Flamingo is a large double room with en suite facilities.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've stayed here many times in the past few years and have always had a great experience. They are always very responsive and helpful when booking. They know a lot about the area and offer many reasonably priced trips around Nairobi (our favorite was a visit to the Kitengela Glass Company!). We were also able to store luggage for no additional cost. The staff will prepare a meal for you or recommend a great restaurant (like Habesha..) and set up transportation. I would stay here again but it seems they have become quite popular so book early or you might not have the chance!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani? Share your experiences!