“Lovely People and homey food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani
Save Saved
You added Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani to your Saves list
Ranked #18 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
British Columbia
“Lovely People and homey food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had a good experience staying at this guest house and would definitely go back as it was good value. We loved the cooks!
I must say to me a guest house is a little more of a hotel whereas this is more of a hostel with dorms and bathrooms with cement floors. This was fine and they are a very good value. However we are ladies of a certain age and are used to having a glass of wine in our room before dinner. Not about to change that habit now. As it is a hostel this was not allowed. There was beer to be purchased and drunk in the lounge. It kind of made me feel like a bad teenager hiding the wine from the staff when there was a knock at our door. Lots of laughs and giggles.
I would not rely on them as a tour guide. The drivers were great we loved Issac. However we wanted to go to the bead factory and they obligingly arranged for lovely Issac to drive us but the factory was closed. As there are only a few attractions in Nairobi one would think they would know the hours.
Our primary reason for being in Nairobi was the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage as we foster an elephant. We were assured that we could make arrangements for our evening visit when we made our afternoon visit and there was no need to call ahead. That was wrong they were overbooked. Happily we were staying another day but David forgot to order the car and driver for us and one had to be found at the last minute. We were late because of construction but it turned out well in the end. Anybody can make mistakes but I would check and double check any arrangements for touring made through this guest house.
That being said I would stay there again as it is friendly, clean, safe and affordable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Sandavy Guest house was the first place I stayed when I arrived in Kenya. Our room was comfortable and the bathrooms featured warm showers. The living room had plush sofas, a flat screen TV and a multitude of DVDs. I even got to watch the East African version of American Idol called Tusker Project Fame. The guest house is gated and located in a quiet neighborhood. The grounds are well-manicured and if you sit outside long enough you can see monkeys jumping from tree to roof. I had my first introduction to Kenyan cuisine here. Peter, the Sandavy Guest House cook, made chicken stew, greens, chapati and ugali. It was delicious!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ramona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

David,
Thanks to all of your staff who gave new meaning to customer service! Anytime I needed something or turned around, there was Liz. Moses's makes a great Lasagna:) Rooms were clean and very affordable. Sharon San Diego, USA

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Being my first trip to Africa I didn't know what to expect... David and staff took care of my every need, gave good counsel and provided a level of service I only wish I could find in the States. My goals for this trip were different than the typical tourist but David didn't shy away from helping me achieve my purpose. The staff was very friendly and amazingly helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone. It was a great week!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I first stayed here when I was in Nairobi during an extended time (10 months or so) in Kenya and Tanzania, and returned here by strong preference on a shorter visit to Kenya in August 2011. Sandy (a Canadian) and David (a Kenyan) run a quiet garden-setting bed and breakfast that feels like being at home. They are very friendly people, as are all members of their staff. There are a few minor inconveniences -- as, for example the fact that several of their rooms have the bathroom in a separate room next door to the room itself, though several are set aside as private to the room. The rooms are very nicely appointed, and the breakfast provided is more than ample, A refrigerator in the dining room has drinks for a price (on an honor system with sign-up sheets, A little shopping center, Adams Arcade on Ngong Road is easy walking distance. It boasts a Java Coffee shop that serves meals, and a new Indian restaurant that offers delicious Punjabi style food for very reasonable prices, David also runs a travel agency from an in-house office, and has done a great job of arranging flights for me to Lamu and Kigali. In a city very full of the noise of traffic virtually all of the time, this is a quiet little oasis worth seeking out. They are on Ndemi Close, just off of Ndemi Road. Reserve well ahead of time, since they have an excellent reputation and are sometimes booked up far in advance, Their website is: http://www.nairobiguesthouse.com/

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at the Sandavy guest house for six nights while on a business trip to Nairobi in May 2012. It is comfortable, friendly, safe, clean, and well run. Virginia (on reception desk) was always cheerful and helpful, and Moses (in the kitchen) produced excellent meals on request.

It is situated a few kilometers outside of the city centre, which gives it a calmer, and quieter feel, but it is only a short distance from two modern shopping malls (Junction mall and Yaya mall). I found the cafes at these malls to be good locations for meetings.

Overall I felt very well looked after by David and his staff, and I would stay again. The only improvement I would suggest would be investment in solar heated water, as the current electric showers permitted too small a flow of water through them for my liking.

Room Tip: If you want a large room with ensuite bathroom, then the Flamingo is the one to ask for.