“Consistently good” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Nairobi
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I often have business lunches here. I get Abraham to do the selection and am never disappointed. What impresses me is the consistency of the high quality of food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Tasty food. Service, not so much...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Second time here with family for dinner. Food - never disappointing. Our waitress however disappeared at some point during dinner and we never saw her again. If there was a shift changeover, we could have been informed. We had to deal with two different waiters thereafter who did not engage us at all, other than clearing the table and bringing the bill. Overall, while not appalling, the service definitely needs improvement.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nairobi, Kenya
“Surprisingly good, surprisingly inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

When you ask Nairobi residents where to go for sushi, 9 out of 10 will send you to Furusato. One will have no clue. None will send you to Misono.
Funny enough, if you are a piscevore (just invented the word, it's like carnivore but for fish eaters) you will not be disappointed.
The venue looks like a typical Japanese restaurant, not one of those fancy, new age places. Simple, comfortable with enough space between tables to ensure privacy. No loud music, but no deadly silence either. You can talk to your mates without being heard by the others.
The service is prompt and friendly. The bills are accurate. No problem at all.
Simplicty rules sushi and sashimi. You will not find bizzarre rolls, nor off the wall experiments of the chef. The fish is fresh, the cuts, rolls and nigiri are of proper size. The presentation is just correct.
Should you prefer something on the hot side - check their teppanyaki. Nothing to complain about. For a very reasonable price (under $50), you will have it all: prawns, lobster, excellent quality beef, pancakes, fried rice, miso soup and salad. Dip your food in three different sauces that remain the chef's secret... delicious.
We have been to Misono 3 time in the past 2 months. They are constent. Consistently good. My favourite sushi place in Nairobi.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food bad service for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went to Misono with a group of friends. The food was really great and I loved it.
However I felt offended by our waiter but I managed to maintain my calm. He began with serving some salad and soup to everyone and left me out. Well another waiter brought them and apologized. So I actually had my starters when the others got the main. Then I had to stare at the others eat because my main was served when they were done. I was the only black person out of my 5 friends and was wondering if that might be the reason why. It was a full definition for bad service to me. My friends were not happy about it too. We would also order for wine and mine still came last.

Nairobi, Kenya
“New location, same high standards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was a frequent diner at the old Misono restaurant on Lenana Road and now it has moved to the Greenhouse Mall on Ngong Road. The mall itself is unappealing and there was risk the restaurant may have gone down-market, but I ate there recently and found that standards have been maintained and perhaps exceeded. The decor is great and carefully thought out, the staff were very welcoming and friendly, and above all the mixed sushi/sashimi set that I chose was excellent. It was busy (even mid-week) so seems to have stayed deservedly popular.

• Visited August 2013