“Decent food, but unfortunately marred by poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Decent food, but unfortunately marred by poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have yet to post a negative review, but here goes my first. To be fair, I have been to Misono three times (twice in Nairobi and once in Nyali) and the food has been fine. Not the best Japanese food I've ever had, but good for what I can find in Kenya. However, I am a stickler for good service and this end, Misono failed.

My most recent experience was last night. I arrived when the restaurant opened and was the third party seated as I had to travel in a few hours. The restaurant was not busy and in the interest of time, I ordered 1 order of tuna sushi, 1 inari sushi and a tempura udon. As I waited, the restaurant started to fill up and it was obvious there were regular guests who were treated differently. About 45 minutes later, I was still waiting for my 4 pieces of sushi as other tables that arrived later were served entire trays of sushi. I called the waiter over and asked to speak to the manager, who never came to my table. I had to get up, go downstairs and speak to the cashier (the ONLY one who expressed concern about the situation) and about 10 minutes later (??) all of my food arrived at once. I wasn't able to wolf down my dinner so I sent the hot food back (and cancelled the order) while I quickly ate the sushi portion.

The tuna sushi was fine, but the inari sushi was made not with Japanese rice and had mayonnaise mixed in with it, which was unpleasant and clumpy. It would have been better with the traditional seasoned Japanese rice.

Unfortunately, this was all I had time to eat in the hour and 15 minutes I was at the restaurant. I can't recommend this restaurant if you don't have at least 2 hours to eat.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

nairobi
“excellent japanese food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The quality of the fish is perfect.
The taste is excellent and the waiters are making yuor time soft and relaxing
The venue is nice.

Visited October 2012
Taormina
“Satisfaction guaranteed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you don't want to waste you lunch or dinner and get satisfaction for your palate, I realized the best in japanese restaurant is MIsono. Good food. good service, ggod everything.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A wonderful dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

From the friendly staff, the lovely atmosphere to the great food this is a great place to go for a date! so much fun to watch the cook prepare your meal. A bit pricey but it is sooo worth it. will definitely be back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Worst service for a restaurant of this caliber in Nairobi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

While usually I rate the quality of food in a restaurant first and foremost, the service at Misono has to be the WORST in Nairobi. Maybe I caught it on a bad night, but even after imploring the Manager to provide better service to our table, it didn't improve. Shame on you. Now, as for the food, I would expect a Japanese restaurant to know how to make sushi. First and foremost, you use the HIGHEST grade of sushi fish. This is not the case with Misono. Secondly, I would expect their sushi chefs to know how to make nigiri where the fish sticks to the rice. EVERY piece of nigiri sushi, the fish fell off the rice when picking it up with chopsticks. That is NOT right.

• Visited January 2013