“Good Japanese Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Acton, MA
“Good Japanese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Nairobi is pretty far from the sea, and I normally would hesitate to eat raw fish in such a location, but Misono, which has opened in a brand new office/shopping center in Kilimani, serves good and authentic Japanese food, including respectable sashimi and sushi. They have bento box lunch specials, which are a treat, as well as a full range of other dishes (gyoza, udon, katsudon, etc.) as well as teppanyaki. I haven't tried everything they have, but my lunch was very good, the tempura perfect and both cooked and raw fish excellent. A Japanese woman in our group pronounced the rice "too sticky," (I didn't notice) but said the food was "pretty good" and that she would go back. Lunch cost about Ksh. 1,400 per person, drinking only tea and water.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kenya
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

One of our favorite places to eat, excellent food, good service. You shouldnt be dissapointed!

Visited May 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
“Happy to have Misono back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012 via mobile

Misono has always been my favorite Japanese restaurant in Nairobi. Sure it's Korean/Japanese but still, their sushi is excellent. I am probably biased because it's close to where I live but I have tried others... FYI, they are now in The Greenhouse on Ngong Road next to Adams Arcade.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kenya
“Best Sushi in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

FOr the best Sushi in Nairobi, check out Misono. They have relocated to the Greenhouse on Ngong Rd with a bigger nad better menu. Mr Song & his wife are always around making sure you get the best quality food. They have a delixious avocado sauce and 'special sauce' to accompany your meal giving it that extra edge. Service is ok but we seem to manage given the food.

Nairobi
“Less than fresh salmon and tuna sashimi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Have heard much about this Japanese restaurant along Lenana Avenue which is just round the corner from where I live along Chaka Road. I love Japanese food and have occasionally gone to other Japanese restaurants in town so I decided to give Misono Restaurant a try.

I ordered the tuna and salmon sashimi after being assured by our waiter that the fish was fresh. I also ordered a mixed sushi plate. Was very disappointed with the less than fresh tuna and salmon - the slices were not firm and were flaking off. :-( The squid and octopus on the sushi were quite tough. I can't remember now what exactly my companion ordered but it was also sushi plate.

We ordered green tea afterwards and were also disappointed it wasn't loose leaf green tea and was instead green teabag. Moreover, it was served in a big pot so one can imagine how diluted the tea was. Luckily, the waiter added another teabag.

We paid around US$50 for a very unmemorable and unremarkable meal. For that price and the quality of food, I wouldn't eat here again.

• Visited April 2011