“good choice for budget travellers who seek for a minimum of comfort in central location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Terminal Hotel

Terminal Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Terminal Hotel
Save Saved
You added Terminal Hotel to your Saves list
Mama Ngina Street, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #36 of 96 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The Terminal Hotel is a great choice for people that want a minimum of comfort in a central location. Rooms have their own bath and are generally clean, with few cockroaches only. It is also a very calm loaction - as long as you request a quiet room that does not neighbour the noisy street or the nearby night club.
The nice concierge might help you find reasonably priced safaris, excursions and overland buses - e.g. a minibus transfer to Arusha for 1300Sh (western tourists are often paying the double). If you are a single male staying in the hotel, you should be aware of the many young women that will try to make friends with you on the street and in the bars next to the hotel, and will turn out to be prostitutes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Warm and friendly staff always happy to comply with requests, close to banks, shops, restaurants. Old rooms, reasonably clean. Had a few bed bugs otherwise ok.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I stayed at the Terminal Hotel for 3 nights in July. Now mind you, I was backpacking with 2 other friends who I was meeting with in Kenya. I was not traveling with a spouse, I did not have high expecatations of this hotel. It was cheap, in a good location, safe and clean. I never encountered any problems with bugs. Every bed comes with a mosquito net, but I never saw any mosquitos... not to say there weren't any. The rooms were basic, clean and decent. We did have a couple problems with the hot water, but I think we had the same problem in most low budget hotels in Africa.

Overall I would say the Terminal Hotel is perfect if you don't have high expectations. Its perfect for a backpacker, or solo travelers, but I would not recommend it for couples or anyone with "higher" standards. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

My wife and I booked to stay at the terminal for our last two days at Nairobi. Rooms were large and bright with clean sheets and towels. Everything was good, until the night came.. The party from the backyard of the restaurant downstairs started getting louder and louder. With tables filled with drinks, it didn’t look like it’s going to finish soon... and it didn’t. It lasted tell 3 am. Managed to have a short sleep until 5 am when the building site vehicles dropping its loads, starting an extremely, unbearably loud, squeaky, scratchy building site noises. About 3 meters away from our window (room 116). The staff assured (lied to) us when we checked in that its weekend and the building site is closed, or they start at 8am if any.

7 am walked to the next door Downtown hotel, booked a room and came back to pack and leave, after a long, sleepless night, cockroach were crawling all over my rucksack and I had to check my clothing one by one to ensure none of them stayed with us.

In the way out, I complained to the suited “gentleman” on reception about the horrible night my wife and I had, he had nothing to offer other than a smirk and a far-from-sincere “sorry, sorry”. The theme was “if you don’t like it, there will be hundreds of others” “we are recommended by Lonely Planet and don’t care about you”.

We moved to the Downtown and it was a world apart, very quiet, smaller room but clean without any crawlies and most importantly, polite and helpful staff appreciating your business and keen to please.

I would strongly advice not to stay at the terminal until they sort their careless attitude problem out. Being recommended by few guide books seems to get them relaxed (very) about the service they ought to offer. Clowny guys (not sure what they do) hanging around the place, management that doesn’t care about you (as long as you pay and leave), cockroachs, building site and party. If you enjoy that, then the terminal is a great place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Near the airport, across the street from a mall, around the corner from a Western Union and a Chinese restaurant.
Basic room with clean sheets, one towel and sometimes hot water.
Not bad.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I searched extensively before my trip for a reasonably priced (<$100) place to stay in Nairobi for my last night in Kenya. I didn't want to spend much as I had to leave for the airport at 5am the following morning anyway. I found unlike Johannesburg, there is not much depth in accomodation in Nairobi and it is mostly expensive.

Whilst in Nairobi, however, a driver informed me of this hotel and it was the perfect place for a cheap one night's stay. It's well priced at ~26 USD for a single ensuite room per night. Nearby appears to be a karaoke bar as I could hear singing (quality of varying degrees!) for a good portion of the night but for the price of the room one can't complain. Across the road is a 24 hour shopping mall with a supermarket, ATM and eateries. As this hotel is right downtown, it is easy to walk around the city. I read Nairobi was very unsafe to walk around but I found it to be fine during the day, even by myself. Just be aware (if you need to change money/currency) that all banks and foreign exchange bureaus in Nairobi close from 1pm on Saturdays and do not open at all on Sundays.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

The Terminal is a budget hotel in the centre of Nairobi, just a few minutes walk from Kenyatta Avenue. Rooms are large and bright and the beds (with mosquito nets) are quite comfortable. Drinking water & glasses, loo roll, soap and towels are provided and there is hot water in the early evening.

Breakfast is not provided, but there is a bar and cafe right next door and a pleasant open air restaurant opposite at the Nakumatt Lifestyle shopping centre.

The hotel is a convenient place to stay if you need to spend a night or two in Nairobi, nothing fancy, but good value at 1900 ksh for a double room with bathroom.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Terminal Hotel? Share your experiences!