“Lovely Setting but Very limited Choice” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 361 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Seafood, Vegetarian, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Featuring carved wooden pillars from Pakistan, elegant Afghan rugs, charming fireplaces, sprawling terraces and idyllic gardens, The Talisman blends fine dining with unbridled eclecticism. We have made every effort to create the ideal ambience for those seeking a candle-lit romantic dinner, a casual evening drink with friends, an outdoor lunch with family and everything in between ~ And all this is complemented by distinguished service from our cordial staff.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Lovely Setting but Very limited Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The atmosphere and original artwork in Talisman are delightful. I found the staff welcoming, very friendly and knowledgeable. It was a cool evening after a rainy day and the little frog-themed charcoal braziers are a lovely touch - so much nicer than the gas powered devices one so often sees these days. Inside, lovely, welcoming wood fires were burning. I ate outside on the terrace by the delightful garden.
The only disappointment was that all 3 of the dishes I really wanted were unavailable because I was told that they had run out of them due to a heavy demand at lunchtime. I wouldn't have thought it that difficult to make another batch of gnocchi. I ended up having fillet steak when I had really wanted a vegetarian meal, especially as I had looked at the menu online and this was one if the factors which influenced my choice of Talisman. The steak was good, but not what I really wanted and is why I couldn't award 5 stars for food. The creme brûlée was excellent and the house wines were very good.
I'll definitely visit again if I'm in Nairobi and hope that I can get the dish I want next time

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Christine N, Guest Relations Manager at The Talisman, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thanks very much for the helpful feedback. Certainly sorry to hear you were disappointed. The gnocchi is made completely by hand from scratch, so when it runs out, it is, unfortunately gone for the day. Kindly, next time as you book, please request for your dish ahead of time, am sure the kitchen team will be happy to reserve a portion for you. Come again, and let us surprise you !

Espoo, Finland
“Great place for eating out !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Visited this Restaurant in Karen, Nairobi the other day after hearing so many good things about it from friends.

And I was not disappointed !

The food was great, atmosphere nice, service efficient and friendly and things to do for the children.

A small minus from the fact the restaurant doesn't have high chairs for babies...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review. We're delighted you tried us and hope to see you again. Karibu !
Dallas, Texas
“Good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Nairobi has proven itself to have a first class restaurant that would do well anywhere. It has some of the nicest gardens anywhere, a well-stocked bar (empty at lunch), plenty of seating options--indoors and out, a playground, and great food. The latte was outstanding to top off the meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for the lovely feedback Michael. We're delighted you enjoyed the latte and your visit. We'd enjoy welcoming you back anytime !
ottawa
“Wonderful Food....Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

we were greeted by Joe who explained the menu in great depth..this helped us with our choice..he knew the wine menu so the pairing was super
loved all the funky art on the walls and frankly this was the best meal that we had in our time in Nairobi it is well worth the drive.........Excellent Service...The atmosphere in the garden and under the open verandahs was the best....a MUST DO IN NAIROBI..

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for taking the time to post this review. Delighted that you enjoyed the food and service. I'll be sure to pass your compliments to Joe. Come back anytime, it's a pleasure to serve you.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“A "must do" in Nairobi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Our good friends David and Karen Sugden with Africa House Safaris introduced us to Talisman this past January and we absolutely loved it!
The atmosphere was young and upbeat with lots of locals and expats. Great bar and our food was over the top. I had two appetizers with the quail as my main course. Yum!!! If I were in Nairobi I would go there Tonight! In my opinion, Talisman is a must if you are in Nairobi!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for the kind comments and we're really glad the quail "wowed" you. I'll be sure to share that with the kitchen team. Thanks to David and Karen Sugden with Africa House Safaris for bringing you out ,and we hope you'll be back next time you're in town. Karibu !