“Nice place, but out of the way & dorm beds are tight” 4 of 5 stars

You added Wildebeest Eco Camp to your Saves list
Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #8 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Nice place, but out of the way & dorm beds are tight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've stayed here on two occasions, both times with friends (we stayed in the dorm beds). The camp has been referred to me by a number of friends traveling through Nairobi. Overall, it's a good place to stay if you're looking for cheaper and more relaxing accommodation in the Karen area.

The place is out of the way and would be a bit tough to find on your own if you took public (it's by Langata Road / Galleria, towards Karen on the Ngong Forest side of Langata - but I would call ahead to get good directions when you drop on Langata because it's a bit of a ways). It's about a 10 minute walk down a side street off of Langata, on the left side. It's not well marked, which I found annoying.

The grounds are pretty; there is a nice deck for eating/surfing the web (pretty fast)/socializing, so it's a nice place to escape the mayhem of Nairobi. The dorm beds were comfortable, but they squeeze 7 in a tent, and if you're on the top bunk there's not a lot of space to sit up (the canvas is right there). I've heard good things about the private tents, but I can't say from experience. Food is decent (nice little breakfast is included), but a taxi can take you to the Galleria shopping mall for somewhere around KES 200-400 where there's more variety (and where you can buy pretty much anything you might need in the Nakumatt supermarket. We used Wildebeest Tours for a budget safari, which was a good experience. Overall I'd recommend - not fantastic, but a solid choice, and close to Karen attractions (Elephant orphanage, giraffes, blixen, nairobi park).

Shared bathrooms clean, hot showers, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in a deluxe safari tent and loved it. Meals on the deck were great. Breakfast, which was included in the room rate, comprised 4 set choices with other (paid) extras available and dinner was a fixed price basic buffet. Staff were all friendly and tours, transport and transfers were all arranged effortlessly. Only fault was the camp ran out of water on our final day which meant no shower or flushing toilet but this was fixed pretty quickly. As two females we felt very safe here and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at the wildebeest for two nights on my way from tanzania to Capetown. I loved it here. Check-in/out were effortless, the prices (US citizen) were very modest for all the comfortable features the room afforded me. I was upgraded from a budget tent to to a luxury tent by the staff upon arrival and I have to say, it was nicer than some of the hotel rooms ive stayed in! the camp is beautiful and the scenery leaves little to be desired. The camp operates on a tab system so ordering food/drinks is without the hassle of making sure you have the correct currency. the camp also offers a ride to/from the airport (jkia or local) so all you really have to do is relax! iits next to the national park, elephant recuse and lions so its in the center of everything kenya.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wildebeest Camp is my homebase when I'm in and out of Nairobi during a few trips annually. It's comfortable, peaceful, and friendly, and the best property I've found in this price range. The place is good for a variety of travelers, from budget-minded backpackers to families to people in town for work but want some peace and nature which can otherwise be hard to find in Nairobi. The owners work tirelessly and are always very accommodating, particularly when I have groups. Once some nearby road construction projects are finally completed, accessibility will be enhanced tremendously.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an introduction to Africa. This place came recommended and I can see why. It's set in beautiful grounds surrounding a pond. The tents are well maintained and very comfortable. Facilities include common balcony/dining area, lounge room, wifi, pool table, lockers (need your own lock). There is the facility to donate clothes/items as well, which will go to charity.

I stayed in the dorm tent and found it to be perfectly adequate (if not slightly on the high side of my budget - but still good value for money given the amenities). The shared showers are excellent by any camping standards and awesome by African standards.

Breakfast is included and comprises of tea/coffee/toast with eggs cooked to order. Dinner is not expensive by western standards but was by backpacking standards. I ate out each time for significantly cheaper - even when I was splurging.

The only negative to this place is the location. It's on a road that is not accessed by public transport and a 20-30 minute walk to the main road / nearest bus stop. Not a problem for those with their own transport or willing to pay for taxis. I walked the distance each time but it would be nice to have other (non-expensive) options.

In saying that it is quite well positioned to many of Nairobi's attractions - giraffe centre, elephant orphanage, national park etc. There is also a nice shopping centre with supermarket 30 mins walk up the road.

I can neither comment in the positive nor negative about the staff. Their service was adequate without being memorable. The Aussie owner was very friendly though. All in all it was a fantastic place and I got fit walking to the bus each day!

FYI I got a taxi from the airport for Sh1800. You may even be able to bargain to 1500.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Wildebeest Eco Camp for about a week last November. This was my first trip abroad, I was by myself, and I was lucky enough to get sick my second night in Kenya. I really had a lot going towards having a bad experience but fortunately I was staying here and they treated me like family.

The grounds are beautiful, all of my friends back home were jealous when I showed them the pictures. There had been a mistake in my booking and they upgraded me for free. They made organizing drivers and day trips so easy. One of the owners, I am horrible with names so please forgive me but I know it was the wife, was kind enough to take care of me while I got sick in the middle of the porch from heat stroke. After getting sick the staff continually came and checked on me until they knew for sure that I was ok. I know that I don't have much experience abroad but I am so thankful to the family that runs the Eco Camp because I don't think that I would have ever gotten service like this in the US.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friend and I booked dorm beds for 3 nights. The accommodation is very affordable (we were on a budget) and clean, and included breakfast. Very friendly staff. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus had a lot of variety, and again, afforable, espeically if you're on a budget.

The entire camp site looked incredibly beautiful, with lots of trees and nicely tucked away in Nairobi. While it is far from downtown Nairobi, it is very close to some of the main attractions in Nairobi, including David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Centre, Carnivore, Bomas of Kenya, etc.

I'd definitely recommend this place, especially for budget travellers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!