“Safe haven close to tourist attractions” 5 of 5 stars

You added Wildebeest Eco Camp to your Saves list
Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 151 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Safe haven close to tourist attractions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in a deluxe safari tent and loved it. Meals on the deck were great. Breakfast, which was included in the room rate, comprised 4 set choices with other (paid) extras available and dinner was a fixed price basic buffet. Staff were all friendly and tours, transport and transfers were all arranged effortlessly. Only fault was the camp ran out of water on our final day which meant no shower or flushing toilet but this was fixed pretty quickly. As two females we felt very safe here and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at the wildebeest for two nights on my way from tanzania to Capetown. I loved it here. Check-in/out were effortless, the prices (US citizen) were very modest for all the comfortable features the room afforded me. I was upgraded from a budget tent to to a luxury tent by the staff upon arrival and I have to say, it was nicer than some of the hotel rooms ive stayed in! the camp is beautiful and the scenery leaves little to be desired. The camp operates on a tab system so ordering food/drinks is without the hassle of making sure you have the correct currency. the camp also offers a ride to/from the airport (jkia or local) so all you really have to do is relax! iits next to the national park, elephant recuse and lions so its in the center of everything kenya.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wildebeest Camp is my homebase when I'm in and out of Nairobi during a few trips annually. It's comfortable, peaceful, and friendly, and the best property I've found in this price range. The place is good for a variety of travelers, from budget-minded backpackers to families to people in town for work but want some peace and nature which can otherwise be hard to find in Nairobi. The owners work tirelessly and are always very accommodating, particularly when I have groups. Once some nearby road construction projects are finally completed, accessibility will be enhanced tremendously.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an introduction to Africa. This place came recommended and I can see why. It's set in beautiful grounds surrounding a pond. The tents are well maintained and very comfortable. Facilities include common balcony/dining area, lounge room, wifi, pool table, lockers (need your own lock). There is the facility to donate clothes/items as well, which will go to charity.

I stayed in the dorm tent and found it to be perfectly adequate (if not slightly on the high side of my budget - but still good value for money given the amenities). The shared showers are excellent by any camping standards and awesome by African standards.

Breakfast is included and comprises of tea/coffee/toast with eggs cooked to order. Dinner is not expensive by western standards but was by backpacking standards. I ate out each time for significantly cheaper - even when I was splurging.

The only negative to this place is the location. It's on a road that is not accessed by public transport and a 20-30 minute walk to the main road / nearest bus stop. Not a problem for those with their own transport or willing to pay for taxis. I walked the distance each time but it would be nice to have other (non-expensive) options.

In saying that it is quite well positioned to many of Nairobi's attractions - giraffe centre, elephant orphanage, national park etc. There is also a nice shopping centre with supermarket 30 mins walk up the road.

I can neither comment in the positive nor negative about the staff. Their service was adequate without being memorable. The Aussie owner was very friendly though. All in all it was a fantastic place and I got fit walking to the bus each day!

FYI I got a taxi from the airport for Sh1800. You may even be able to bargain to 1500.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Wildebeest Eco Camp for about a week last November. This was my first trip abroad, I was by myself, and I was lucky enough to get sick my second night in Kenya. I really had a lot going towards having a bad experience but fortunately I was staying here and they treated me like family.

The grounds are beautiful, all of my friends back home were jealous when I showed them the pictures. There had been a mistake in my booking and they upgraded me for free. They made organizing drivers and day trips so easy. One of the owners, I am horrible with names so please forgive me but I know it was the wife, was kind enough to take care of me while I got sick in the middle of the porch from heat stroke. After getting sick the staff continually came and checked on me until they knew for sure that I was ok. I know that I don't have much experience abroad but I am so thankful to the family that runs the Eco Camp because I don't think that I would have ever gotten service like this in the US.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friend and I booked dorm beds for 3 nights. The accommodation is very affordable (we were on a budget) and clean, and included breakfast. Very friendly staff. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus had a lot of variety, and again, afforable, espeically if you're on a budget.

The entire camp site looked incredibly beautiful, with lots of trees and nicely tucked away in Nairobi. While it is far from downtown Nairobi, it is very close to some of the main attractions in Nairobi, including David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Centre, Carnivore, Bomas of Kenya, etc.

I'd definitely recommend this place, especially for budget travellers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you like to stay in a Tent but also have all the luxuries of a hotel, Wildebeest Eco camp provides you that
We were picked up by Mr. Charlie who was kind enough to share all the info about the hotel and Nairobi
when we arrived we were greeted by the owners 2 dogs and 1 cat
the tents were not ready in the beginning as we arrived early but as we finished they had one ready for us
The Deluxe tent is a superb idea if couple or family as it has an experience of a tent and luxury of a hotel
the Bed is the most comfortable which we slept on
the staff was welcoming and friendly
overall an awesomeee Experience
Would definitely be back if i visit Nairobi again

Room Tip: The Deluxe Tent is a superb choice for Couple or for Family of 3