“Great property, good value” 5 of 5 stars

Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #8 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
“Great property, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wildebeest Camp is my homebase when I'm in and out of Nairobi during a few trips annually. It's comfortable, peaceful, and friendly, and the best property I've found in this price range. The place is good for a variety of travelers, from budget-minded backpackers to families to people in town for work but want some peace and nature which can otherwise be hard to find in Nairobi. The owners work tirelessly and are always very accommodating, particularly when I have groups. Once some nearby road construction projects are finally completed, accessibility will be enhanced tremendously.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an introduction to Africa. This place came recommended and I can see why. It's set in beautiful grounds surrounding a pond. The tents are well maintained and very comfortable. Facilities include common balcony/dining area, lounge room, wifi, pool table, lockers (need your own lock). There is the facility to donate clothes/items as well, which will go to charity.

I stayed in the dorm tent and found it to be perfectly adequate (if not slightly on the high side of my budget - but still good value for money given the amenities). The shared showers are excellent by any camping standards and awesome by African standards.

Breakfast is included and comprises of tea/coffee/toast with eggs cooked to order. Dinner is not expensive by western standards but was by backpacking standards. I ate out each time for significantly cheaper - even when I was splurging.

The only negative to this place is the location. It's on a road that is not accessed by public transport and a 20-30 minute walk to the main road / nearest bus stop. Not a problem for those with their own transport or willing to pay for taxis. I walked the distance each time but it would be nice to have other (non-expensive) options.

In saying that it is quite well positioned to many of Nairobi's attractions - giraffe centre, elephant orphanage, national park etc. There is also a nice shopping centre with supermarket 30 mins walk up the road.

I can neither comment in the positive nor negative about the staff. Their service was adequate without being memorable. The Aussie owner was very friendly though. All in all it was a fantastic place and I got fit walking to the bus each day!

FYI I got a taxi from the airport for Sh1800. You may even be able to bargain to 1500.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Wildebeest Eco Camp for about a week last November. This was my first trip abroad, I was by myself, and I was lucky enough to get sick my second night in Kenya. I really had a lot going towards having a bad experience but fortunately I was staying here and they treated me like family.

The grounds are beautiful, all of my friends back home were jealous when I showed them the pictures. There had been a mistake in my booking and they upgraded me for free. They made organizing drivers and day trips so easy. One of the owners, I am horrible with names so please forgive me but I know it was the wife, was kind enough to take care of me while I got sick in the middle of the porch from heat stroke. After getting sick the staff continually came and checked on me until they knew for sure that I was ok. I know that I don't have much experience abroad but I am so thankful to the family that runs the Eco Camp because I don't think that I would have ever gotten service like this in the US.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friend and I booked dorm beds for 3 nights. The accommodation is very affordable (we were on a budget) and clean, and included breakfast. Very friendly staff. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus had a lot of variety, and again, afforable, espeically if you're on a budget.

The entire camp site looked incredibly beautiful, with lots of trees and nicely tucked away in Nairobi. While it is far from downtown Nairobi, it is very close to some of the main attractions in Nairobi, including David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Centre, Carnivore, Bomas of Kenya, etc.

I'd definitely recommend this place, especially for budget travellers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you like to stay in a Tent but also have all the luxuries of a hotel, Wildebeest Eco camp provides you that
We were picked up by Mr. Charlie who was kind enough to share all the info about the hotel and Nairobi
when we arrived we were greeted by the owners 2 dogs and 1 cat
the tents were not ready in the beginning as we arrived early but as we finished they had one ready for us
The Deluxe tent is a superb idea if couple or family as it has an experience of a tent and luxury of a hotel
the Bed is the most comfortable which we slept on
the staff was welcoming and friendly
overall an awesomeee Experience
Would definitely be back if i visit Nairobi again

Room Tip: The Deluxe Tent is a superb choice for Couple or for Family of 3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have stayed at this place for two days on 14th & 15th of May. I am totally impressed and would love to come back here. Its a beautiful place, well maintained. Staff are very friendly and the hospitality is great. Rooms are clean and tidy. Services were available as promised.. sumptuous breakfast, free wi-fi, hot water etc. Room rates are very reasonable compared to many hotels in nairobi. This place is little far from city centre but it is closer to many tourist attractions like Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen Museum and Mamba Village. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kitcat22
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just read Brabby's review, and could not agree more. I visited in April and had the same flooding scenario, with noisy pumps going throughout the day and until 9 or 10 pm, even after I asked they be turned off after dinner so we could enjoy a bit of peace....still on until they ran out of gasoline.
I often had to go in search of staff, usually finding them at the pool table. At one point when I wanted a sandwich, I asked the cook, who told me to write it up on the waiter's pad myself and give it to him. I had to get my own soda out of the fridge, and write it up on the waiter's pad to be added to my bill!
I stayed in a Garden Tent one night, Deluxe Tent several nights, and Budget Room as a day room prior to my evening departure. Interestingly, the cleanest was the Budget Room, yet you had to walk up a muddy path, stepping over the water pipes to get to the room. (I still don't know why they ran the pipes right up the path instead of off to the side or through the plants, but it again reflects lack of concern for their guests.)
See pics for the spider, the dirty spider web, and the general filth of the Deluxe Tent. These were "old" dirt, not new/fresh dirt.
Their signpost is computer printed on standard Kenyan printer paper, roughly 8.5 by 11 inches, put in a leaky plastic sleeve and tacked to a tree along the road! See the pic! Their website doesn't even give a clue of how far to go down Mokoyeti Road West to find #151 (very few numbers are posted, making it hard to know if you're on track or not), off Langata Road. It would be really NICE if they would say that it's about a mile north of Langata Road, almost to the end of Mokoyeti Road. It would be really nice if there was a Wildebeest Eco Camp sign at the corner of Langata Rd and Mokoyeti Rd West AND a sign at the entrance to Wildebeest Eco Camp.
When I first emailed Wildebeest Eco Camp, I asked "How much should I expect to pay a taxi from Wilson Airport to Wildebeest Eco Camp?" They replied "We can also arrange an airport pick up at Kshs2500 for a small car (Sedan) all we need is flight number and arrival time." Clearly that's a rip off! Wilson is already halfway from Nairobi to Wildebeest Camp, and should have only been 1000-1500 Ksh. When I left Wildebeest Camp for Jomo Kenyata Airport, the taxi fare was only 2000 Ksh.
And the mattresses are really, really firm. Hard.
It all leaves me wondering what's up with this place. General lack of adult supervision? Lack of respect for the paying clients? General apathy? It could be SOOOO GOOOD!!!

Room Tip: Call to ask if the water pumps are still running. If yes, find a different place to stay. Check the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!