“Should have been 5 stars, but for the staff and flood...” 2 of 5 stars

Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #8 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Kitcat22
“Should have been 5 stars, but for the staff and flood...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just read Brabby's review, and could not agree more. I visited in April and had the same flooding scenario, with noisy pumps going throughout the day and until 9 or 10 pm, even after I asked they be turned off after dinner so we could enjoy a bit of peace....still on until they ran out of gasoline.
I often had to go in search of staff, usually finding them at the pool table. At one point when I wanted a sandwich, I asked the cook, who told me to write it up on the waiter's pad myself and give it to him. I had to get my own soda out of the fridge, and write it up on the waiter's pad to be added to my bill!
I stayed in a Garden Tent one night, Deluxe Tent several nights, and Budget Room as a day room prior to my evening departure. Interestingly, the cleanest was the Budget Room, yet you had to walk up a muddy path, stepping over the water pipes to get to the room. (I still don't know why they ran the pipes right up the path instead of off to the side or through the plants, but it again reflects lack of concern for their guests.)
See pics for the spider, the dirty spider web, and the general filth of the Deluxe Tent. These were "old" dirt, not new/fresh dirt.
Their signpost is computer printed on standard Kenyan printer paper, roughly 8.5 by 11 inches, put in a leaky plastic sleeve and tacked to a tree along the road! See the pic! Their website doesn't even give a clue of how far to go down Mokoyeti Road West to find #151 (very few numbers are posted, making it hard to know if you're on track or not), off Langata Road. It would be really NICE if they would say that it's about a mile north of Langata Road, almost to the end of Mokoyeti Road. It would be really nice if there was a Wildebeest Eco Camp sign at the corner of Langata Rd and Mokoyeti Rd West AND a sign at the entrance to Wildebeest Eco Camp.
When I first emailed Wildebeest Eco Camp, I asked "How much should I expect to pay a taxi from Wilson Airport to Wildebeest Eco Camp?" They replied "We can also arrange an airport pick up at Kshs2500 for a small car (Sedan) all we need is flight number and arrival time." Clearly that's a rip off! Wilson is already halfway from Nairobi to Wildebeest Camp, and should have only been 1000-1500 Ksh. When I left Wildebeest Camp for Jomo Kenyata Airport, the taxi fare was only 2000 Ksh.
And the mattresses are really, really firm. Hard.
It all leaves me wondering what's up with this place. General lack of adult supervision? Lack of respect for the paying clients? General apathy? It could be SOOOO GOOOD!!!

Room Tip: Call to ask if the water pumps are still running. If yes, find a different place to stay. Check the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
High Point, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my third stay at the Wildebeest and I must say I love it here. From the wonderful owners (on-site and hands-on) to the totally hospitable staff to the scrumptious food, this place is a joy for the traveler who is looking for not only a place to stay but an experience. Look forward to sharing the dinner table with travelers from all over the world, one of the bonuses of staying at the Wildebeest. Prices are based on the accommodations you choose, from camping with your own gear to deluxe tents with their own baths. It doesn't get any better- or more fun- than this in Nairobi. Oh, and they'll organize any number of trips and safaris at the request of guests.

Room Tip: Go to the website and you can see the accommodations for yourself. The very complete descriptions wi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is the first time I have had to write a poor review of a hotel. Usually we are pretty easygoing with things, but this place really let us down.

First, the good things: they do have a beautiful location, with luxury tents surrounding a little lagoon with lots of birds, trees, etc. The food is pretty decent and cheap, and the price allows you to try a luxury safari tent for much less than you would have to pay elsewhere. The luxury tents were absolutely lovely- tastefully decorated and comfortable.

Unfortunately, the timing was a little bad as we arrived right after a rainy spell and the lagoon had flooded, putting most of the tents almost submerged in water. To combat this, the staff had two pumps with very loud motors running all day. Thus, the beautiful ambiance, birds, etc, were gone for us. We were trying to be understanding with it, but it was really unpleasant to sit anywhere in the camp with the loud motors pounding all day. There wasn´t any sort of apology given for this, which would have been appreciated. However, we could have been okay with this if it weren´t for the service. The guys working here really seemed to have no desire to deliver great customer service. Quite often we would have to ring a bell to ask for anything and they would be playing pool for a few minutes more before they came to help us. We requested that the pump be turned off for us to sleep, but about an hour later it was back on. The power went out quite frequently, and when we went to have breakfast the server pointed to a self-service toaster and said "but the power is out", shrugged his shoulders and walked away. We saw another customer who had toasted bread and he said that we would have to pay extra to have the bread toasted on the stove. It seemed rather unfair, considering that it was not our fault the power was out, and we had paid for breakfast already. On the last afternoon, we asked if we could have dinner a little early as we had to head to the airport. The man at the window said that the power was out so they wouldn´t serve us anything cooked. However, the lights were all on and I could hear and smell things cooking in the kitchen. If he had just told us that they were too busy in the kitchen or something we would have understood, but the fact that he was blatantly lying to us was frustrating. Finally, the worst part of our experience was when we handed over a bag of items to the staff just before we left. There was something written in the hotel info that we could donate items to a local village project by giving them at the desk. So I handed over a bag containing a few toiletries as well as our old cell phone. My husband watched the staff, Justus, walk behind a little barrier where he thought he wasn´t seen, take the cell phone out and put it in his pocket.

It really is too bad that the staff here seem to be rather apathetic towards the idea of great service. Everywhere else we have gone in Tanzania and Kenya has been a terrific experience, and we could see that the owners here had worked hard to make a beautiful eco camp. Perhaps they need to reconsider their hiring practices.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
G
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. It was like entering into a little oasis after hectic Nairobi. we stayed in a garden safari tent and loved it. It was spotlessly clean. I was a liitle bit cold in the middle of the night but just put on extra clothes. It is a tent after all so not too surprising and I feel the cold. the showers were spotless and the hot water was a treat for us after staying in various places in kenya. we had dinner there on one of the nights and the food was good as was breakfast. we did ask about organising a safari through them but the details we got from them was very vague, so we went elsewhere. Highly recommend and was a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The Wildebeest Eco Camp in Nairobi is simply perfect. I recently spent 4 nights in a Garden Tent and absolutely loved it.

The garden tent was spacious and very clean. They are also waterproof which was great as we had evening storms each night. There is a choice of twin or double bedding, bedside tables with lamps and a safe if you want to secure valuables. It is only a short walk to the communal bathroom which was clean and had hot water most of the time.

Breakfast is included in the rate and has a good selection which you choose from the menu. If you wants extras there is a small charge per item. Dinner is served at a set time each night and although I didn't dine there l did see the menu and they had a good selection and is served buffet style. I found lunch and drink prices to be very reasonable too. All meals are served on the deck and is very social so even if you are travelling alone you will never be lonely.

They have free wifi and I found this worked well most days, even in my tent. All the staff I encountered were lovely and could not have been more helpful or polite. This is a really special place and if you are looking for a safe and welcoming place to stay in Nairobi this is it. I believe they have plans for a swimming pool too which will be a nice touch and should be completed within the next 12 months.

It is within walking distance to a shopping centre which has nice cafes or just a short taxi ride to the carnivore restaurant. A must do for people travelling to Kenya. Even as I vegetarian I found plenty to eat.

I will certainly stay at the Wildbeest Eco Camp again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great staff and owners. I really like this place, they have it all! Rooms, dorms and tents. I stayed in a tent and it was so good! A great experience to sleep in a tent in Africa!
The food was so delicious, to be honest, I miss it!
Amazing nature around the camp, truly a piece of paradise.
It's a little bit far away from centrum but that's actually good because of the safety.
Best place to stay in Nairobi! :)

• Stayed June 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a very relaxing 4 day stay. The deluxe safari tents are very nice, the bed is just perfect. The free wireless internet works good. The camp is not too far from a small shopping centre with a few nice eateries and the Nairobi hospital has a clinic there too. You can go there without appointment which is handy. Our comment is that the deluxe safari tents are too close to each other, so you can hear your neighbours clearly. Breakfast was ok. The dinner in buffet style is ok, but some nights are better than others. The policy that the rooms are not serviced during your stay is ok for short stays, but we do think that it would have been better that the rooms/tents get serviced every 3rd day. The owner was very helpful. The guest lounge felt more like the living room of the owner, so we did not use that too much as we felt less free to do so.

In Nairobi it is quite difficult to find a b&b or hotel for a decent price. The room rate is ok for what they offer. A few attractions (Nairobi NP, giraffe centre, elephant orphanage, Karen Blixen museum) are close by which is handy, but the airport is a bit far and taxi is not cheap either. If you travel by own car then this is certainly a good option for a secure stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!