“Great place close to Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Wildebeest Eco Camp to your Saves list
Ranked #8 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place close to Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great budget friendly accomodations, we booked a double garden tent and it is was truly beautiful. Shared shower and toilet facilities were very clean and up to date. Beautiful garden setting and a wonderful bar area to meet and greet with other guests. All the staff we encountered were extremely professional and helpful. The booking of the accomodations and transport from airport were flawless.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at Wildebeest for about a week, and I enjoyed every second of it. Nairobi can be a pretty overwhelming city, and it can take hours to get anywhere. Wildebeest is situated away from downtown on West Langata Road. It's close to the Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Sanctuary, and to Galleria Mall (for some great good).

The place itself is brilliant done up with permanent tents that serve as dorms or private rooms. The deck of the main house served as a great place to meet and chat with other travelers while taking advantage of the great, nightly buffet dinner, or while playing with the friendly dogs and cats. I almost couldn't get up off of my chair one night because one of the cats had settled into my lap for the night and wouldn't let me move.

My stay here really helped me to enjoy my time in Nairobi, which is a fun city, but a hard city to love. Wildebeest Eco Camp, however, was an easy place to love.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We love small towns when we travel and avoid big cities, thus Nairobi was the last place we wanted to be. Unfortunately buses were all full and we had to stay in Nairobi. Wildebeest guesthouse was amazing. It's like staying at the Botanical gardens based around a small pond. Beautiful grounds! We stayed in the budget rooms which are small and basic but clean and comfortable. Shared bathrooms and showers are basic but clean with flush toilets and hot showers.excellent. Plus there are only a few budget rooms so it felt like we were the only ones using these shared facilities. If you want to step it up a notch, the safari tents with private bathrooms looked awesome! Good food but a little on the expensive side for us. The galleria- mini mall is a short cab ride away with shopping and fast food. The Giraffe center also was not too far away and worth the visit. The lodge is pretty far from airport and downtown Nairobi. The fair trade shop on site has reasonable prices. Read the welcome manual in your room, it's very helpful!

• Stayed November 2012
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was astonished by how beautiful and budget friendly Wildebeest Eco Camp is. I am volunteering in Kenya for 8 months and am based in rural Kitui but like to head into the city some weekends for urban luxuries. $14 at Wildebeest gets me an amazingly comfortable bed in a dorm tent, a delicious breakfast - there are four options and I always get the fresh fruit salad with yogurt - hot showers, free wifi, friendly and helpful staff and a relaxing and beautiful ambiance. I have used them to book a budget 4 day safari for myself and it was great. I am using them again to book a slightly more upscale safari when my parents come to visit me. The camp is within walking distance of Galleria mall and bus routes into the city center. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the city.

Room Tip: Dorm beds are super comfortable and very inexpensive. The deluxe garden tents are beautiful. Bedding...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Alkmaar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed one night at Wildebeest Nairobi in a deluxe tent. It a very nice, convenient & clean place to stay. The tent is wonderful, the shower OK, clean only not too warm, but OK for Nairobi's temperatures. Staff is very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Take a deluxe tent!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'd heard about this place for years and wanted to check it out. It's definitely a "notch up" from other back-packer rated places I've stayed at. I came here with friends for two nights. It's set up for a younger crowd but we did very well here. As long as you know what to expect I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially with the deluxe tents. The location is really hard to find and I know the area. Once the new road is finished I think it will be much easier but meanwhile I'd suggest organising a transfer with the establishment. Of course it would have helped if we brought the map and phone number with us but thank goodness for internet on the phone. Once we got a hold of them their directions were perfect and fortunately it was still daytime.

On arrival there was one person who seemed to be doing everything, reception, waiting tables, tending bar etc. so our check-in was a bit lengthy as in the middle of taking care of us other guests would demand his attention and order a drink so he'd get them their drinks then turn back to our reception. However, this is normal in East Africa but there should have been more staff on hand IMO. On the following mornings there were more servers around. Food was ok, there's a basic breakfast included and reasonably priced add-ons of eggs, porridge etc. The yogurt and fruit were very good. You get one pot of tea or carafe of pressed coffee and then pay for additional. First night we opted for an a-la-carte dinner which turned out to be standard pub food and enjoyable. Dining on the deck is nice. The landscaping and settings are very well done, the "water hole" was quite low while we were there as it was the end of the dry season but it's a nice touch.

The tent was great, set on a wood deck with nice furnishings, there is one king sized bed and one twin bed in the corner. Plenty of space for luggage and a safe which was a real bonus. Excellent hot water, I believe solar heated. The tents are very well made with a nice veranda but REALLY close together so you hear your neighbor's conversations with ease. We didn't have a look at the other type of accommodation or camping area so I can't comment on those. In chatting with the owner he did say the tents were very popular and he would most likely be adding more.

I agree with the previous comment about the kid's toys on the paths. I realise it's a family owned venture and I like kids, but I almost tripped over one of them; paths in a public place should be kept clear. On the whole if you want a slightly different experience, opportunity to connect with younger travellers and want to stay on the Langatta/Karen side of Nairobi this is a good, lesser expensive option. If you need access to city centre or the shuttle bus points to Tanzania it might be easier to stay closer in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The deluxe tents are great and they are spotless. It is blissfully quiet and peaceful at night once the noise from the bar and barking dogs quiets down. Staff is mostly nice, if laid back. Breakfast is lacking. Dinner is pricey, but good. It is convenient for the Sheldrick, the Giraffe Center and the Karen Blixen House, however if you want to go to the city center, the traffic is horrific. Took 2.5 hours to return home one evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!