“A great oasis nestled in a quite neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars

Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #9 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A great oasis nestled in a quite neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at Wildebeest for about a week, and I enjoyed every second of it. Nairobi can be a pretty overwhelming city, and it can take hours to get anywhere. Wildebeest is situated away from downtown on West Langata Road. It's close to the Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Sanctuary, and to Galleria Mall (for some great good).

The place itself is brilliant done up with permanent tents that serve as dorms or private rooms. The deck of the main house served as a great place to meet and chat with other travelers while taking advantage of the great, nightly buffet dinner, or while playing with the friendly dogs and cats. I almost couldn't get up off of my chair one night because one of the cats had settled into my lap for the night and wouldn't let me move.

My stay here really helped me to enjoy my time in Nairobi, which is a fun city, but a hard city to love. Wildebeest Eco Camp, however, was an easy place to love.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We love small towns when we travel and avoid big cities, thus Nairobi was the last place we wanted to be. Unfortunately buses were all full and we had to stay in Nairobi. Wildebeest guesthouse was amazing. It's like staying at the Botanical gardens based around a small pond. Beautiful grounds! We stayed in the budget rooms which are small and basic but clean and comfortable. Shared bathrooms and showers are basic but clean with flush toilets and hot showers.excellent. Plus there are only a few budget rooms so it felt like we were the only ones using these shared facilities. If you want to step it up a notch, the safari tents with private bathrooms looked awesome! Good food but a little on the expensive side for us. The galleria- mini mall is a short cab ride away with shopping and fast food. The Giraffe center also was not too far away and worth the visit. The lodge is pretty far from airport and downtown Nairobi. The fair trade shop on site has reasonable prices. Read the welcome manual in your room, it's very helpful!

• Stayed November 2012
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was astonished by how beautiful and budget friendly Wildebeest Eco Camp is. I am volunteering in Kenya for 8 months and am based in rural Kitui but like to head into the city some weekends for urban luxuries. $14 at Wildebeest gets me an amazingly comfortable bed in a dorm tent, a delicious breakfast - there are four options and I always get the fresh fruit salad with yogurt - hot showers, free wifi, friendly and helpful staff and a relaxing and beautiful ambiance. I have used them to book a budget 4 day safari for myself and it was great. I am using them again to book a slightly more upscale safari when my parents come to visit me. The camp is within walking distance of Galleria mall and bus routes into the city center. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the city.

Room Tip: Dorm beds are super comfortable and very inexpensive. The deluxe garden tents are beautiful. Bedding...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Alkmaar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed one night at Wildebeest Nairobi in a deluxe tent. It a very nice, convenient & clean place to stay. The tent is wonderful, the shower OK, clean only not too warm, but OK for Nairobi's temperatures. Staff is very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Take a deluxe tent!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'd heard about this place for years and wanted to check it out. It's definitely a "notch up" from other back-packer rated places I've stayed at. I came here with friends for two nights. It's set up for a younger crowd but we did very well here. As long as you know what to expect I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially with the deluxe tents. The location is really hard to find and I know the area. Once the new road is finished I think it will be much easier but meanwhile I'd suggest organising a transfer with the establishment. Of course it would have helped if we brought the map and phone number with us but thank goodness for internet on the phone. Once we got a hold of them their directions were perfect and fortunately it was still daytime.

On arrival there was one person who seemed to be doing everything, reception, waiting tables, tending bar etc. so our check-in was a bit lengthy as in the middle of taking care of us other guests would demand his attention and order a drink so he'd get them their drinks then turn back to our reception. However, this is normal in East Africa but there should have been more staff on hand IMO. On the following mornings there were more servers around. Food was ok, there's a basic breakfast included and reasonably priced add-ons of eggs, porridge etc. The yogurt and fruit were very good. You get one pot of tea or carafe of pressed coffee and then pay for additional. First night we opted for an a-la-carte dinner which turned out to be standard pub food and enjoyable. Dining on the deck is nice. The landscaping and settings are very well done, the "water hole" was quite low while we were there as it was the end of the dry season but it's a nice touch.

The tent was great, set on a wood deck with nice furnishings, there is one king sized bed and one twin bed in the corner. Plenty of space for luggage and a safe which was a real bonus. Excellent hot water, I believe solar heated. The tents are very well made with a nice veranda but REALLY close together so you hear your neighbor's conversations with ease. We didn't have a look at the other type of accommodation or camping area so I can't comment on those. In chatting with the owner he did say the tents were very popular and he would most likely be adding more.

I agree with the previous comment about the kid's toys on the paths. I realise it's a family owned venture and I like kids, but I almost tripped over one of them; paths in a public place should be kept clear. On the whole if you want a slightly different experience, opportunity to connect with younger travellers and want to stay on the Langatta/Karen side of Nairobi this is a good, lesser expensive option. If you need access to city centre or the shuttle bus points to Tanzania it might be easier to stay closer in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The deluxe tents are great and they are spotless. It is blissfully quiet and peaceful at night once the noise from the bar and barking dogs quiets down. Staff is mostly nice, if laid back. Breakfast is lacking. Dinner is pricey, but good. It is convenient for the Sheldrick, the Giraffe Center and the Karen Blixen House, however if you want to go to the city center, the traffic is horrific. Took 2.5 hours to return home one evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked two nights at the Wildebeest Eco Camp after getting a recommendation on this site, and reading the reveiws. I was not disappointed.

We stayed in one of the deluxe tents on the grounds of the camp. The tents are tastefully decorated with modern bathroom fixtures. Inside they look like the room in a 4-5 star hotel.

I also like the beutiful landscaping of the grounds. There are lots of mature trees and scrubs as well as flowers.

The camp has a real laid-back vibe. People gather on the patio in the eveing for dinner and conversation, and to use the free wi-fi.

There are no TV's in the tents, but t here is a guest lounge with a big screen TV with many cable channels. We did not spend much time there, but like the idea of having access to a TV if necessary.

They also have a tent that is set up with handicrafts that can be purchased and added to your hotel room. I did not buy anything, but saw some interesting items that were reasonably priced.

The staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. Which was also a plus. Additionally, there is a 24 hour guard, so safety was never an issue.

We liked staying at Wildebeest so much that we booked an additional day at the end of our two weeks to stay there the night before departing back to the US.

Overall, we really enjoyed our 3 night stay at Wildebeest Eco Camp. I would surely recommned it to others wanting a different option than a basic hotel room.

Room Tip: Book the deluxe tent well in advance of your dates as there are only a few and they sell out fast...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!