“Charming intro to Kenya” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wildebeest Eco Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Wildebeest Eco Camp
You added Wildebeest Eco Camp to your Saves list
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #5 of 194 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Charming intro to Kenya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

This was our first experience with a tented camp so I had great trepidations about staying in a tent when I much prefer a 4-star hotel!! But we had just landed in Kenya, we were starving and tired and had just driven through Nairobi rush hour in our tour van...so we would've been happy with anything.

It was dark when we arrived and our tour driver took a turn off the main road onto a bumpy unpaved street. We approached a large metal door and it opened onto the grounds. All the lodges have security at the gates and are promptly closed after the guests drive through. Take that as a positive or negative....

The "camp" is actually a large converted colonial era home that serves as the kitchen, dining room, staff quarters and gift shop. The property is owned by a British person but is completely run by a staff of Kenyans.

Tents: they are smallish and close together but spotless. I was quite surprised. The bathroom is ensuite and each unit has a hot water maker inside the shower so we never ran out. Toilet was clean and paper provided. You should bring your own soap, shampoo, and conditioner. They had hand soap but nothing in the showers. Also recommend anti bacterial wipes just to have on hand. We had a double bed and a single in our tent. There was adequate space but it is a bit dark so make sure to have your own flashlights. The tents are spread out on the grounds of the estate. There are also some pop up tents and people who'd pitched their own accommodations.

We arrived after 7pm so the dinner buffet had ended. We ordered a la carte sandwiches. Not particularly good or filling but we were hungry. The soup was incredible though. It was a pumpkin soup and i am not a big soup person but it sounded interesting so i got some. We had seven in our group. Some ordered hamburgers which some on bread for rolls and also French fries.

There is a really decent gift shop and the prices are very reasonable. They sold things that we didn't find readily in the curio shops along the road. I was hesitant to load up since it was our first place but after seeing other shops, I would highly recommend buying from them.

The staff is small and overworked so my biggest recommendation is having small denomination bills on hand. They did not have readily available change.

There is a basket for donating clothes and whatever items you'd like to shed. We found that clothes, pencils, sweets, meds, etc are welcome anywhere.

Breakfast: the basic breakfast is very basic with toast tea or coffee and a choice of a Spanish omelette or eggs. Everything such as bottled water, bacon, or sides were add-ons. Overall, it was a decent breakfast but not a large amount.

For a unique experience, this was better than a large hotel in Nairobi. Our guides told us the hotels there tend to be loud with nearby nightclubs, etc. At any rate, we did hear a great deal in the tent but it was a novel experience.

Staff was very responsive although understaffed and worked long hours. Recommend this property as a good intro or ending to your trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tampann

Baden-Baden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

As with everything for tourists in kenya its not necessarily cheap to pay over 10 dollars a night to sleep in a tent but everything else here wasnreally nice! Great outside area and nice breakfast

• Stayed December 2011
Intercourse, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed in Sept. in one of the Deluxe tents. Basic but nice with tons of space. And it was a first staying in a tent with its own bathroom. Everything was clean and worked so no issues with the room. The staff were friendly and generally helpful. The meals were fine but nothing special. The overall feel was great with people sitting around chatting so a nice way to meet other travelers. Also I used the their airport pickup service and the female taxi driver they use was right on time and a safe driver. Also joined with another couple the next day and used her for a tour around the city with several stops at a reasonable price.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

biggest problem with this place is finding it and this could easily be resolved with some signs from the main road.
tent was spacious enough for one night and bed was ok, but not great. quilt cover was pretty dirty and either needs a proper wash or be replaced.
it was peaceful and good value for the price

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed at the Wildebeest Camp in September 2011, and loved it!!. The place is very relaxing and I was made to feel at home from the moment I arrived. The grounds are lovely. It has a nice relaxed family atmosphere, and it is a great place to meet other travelers. All the people I meet there were very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a garden tent, which was lovely and the beds were very comfy.
I would recommend the meal at night - it is delicious.
I stayed in some top resort places on my trip in Kenya on Safari, but I enjoyed the Wildebeest accomodation the most. I would recommend this place to everyone traveling to Nairobi.

Lisboa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

the tents are big and beautiful, the garden is the perfect getaway from the noise and caos of the city, the food couldn't be better - really good quality for the price!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights in mid September in a garden tent with shared bathroom and it was great, I had arranged an airport pick up but when i got off my first flight in Jo'bourg i found out my flight to Kenya was delayed by 6 hours, i sent them an email and it was all fine, they even kept some dinner warm for me. The tent was simple yet clean and comfortable, there was a safe, the bathrooms were clean and the showers hot! Barney and Fatty the dogs were great, I got a driver off them one day and he was good and not badly priced and on the day i checked out they kept my bags safe as i didn't have to be at my tour starting point till 6pm. Food and drinks were well priced